UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Conte: Around 50% of MMA fighters on PEDs

10/20/12 2:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Controversial disgraced former steroid distributor turned anti-doping crusader Victor Conte recently appeared on "The Joe Rogan Experience," and made some controversial statements about PED use in MMA.

Earlier this year Conte made nearly identical charges about Major League Baseball.

Conte told USA Today's Bob Nightengale that "as much as half" of current MLB players are using performance-enhancing drugs of some kind.

"I'm not going to name names," said Conte, "but I've talked to a lot of top players in Major League Baseball, and they tell me this is what they're doing. There is rampant use of synthetic testosterone in Major League Baseball."

Needless to say, MLB disagrees with Conte's estimates.

"There is no way that Victor Conte would have information that would allow him to have any basis on that," MLB vice president Rob Manfred said. "He's just making that up. It's a guess. We use the very best, most sophisticated methodologies that are available.''

Given the evidence presented, many in MMA will disagree with the 50% estimate for MMA as well.

"From total of all performance-enhancing drugs, it's in the neighborhood of 50 percent," Conte told Rogan about PED use in MMA.

"Here's what I was told – I don't want to create more multi-million dollar lawsuits against me, but here's the story that I was told – [former partner Patrick Arnold] sold a whole bunch of [tetrahydrogestrinone, also known as 'The Clear'], like a gallon, to Bob Sapp, K-1 fighter," Conte said. "My understanding is this stuff was all over the NFL. I guess during this time he was out of the NFL, and there was a period of time when he played in the Canadian (Football) League before he went to Japan to do the K-1 fighting, but the point is this stuff was very widely distributed, was my understanding."

What makes Conte think as many as half of the sport's athletes aren't clean? Conte's June speech at the Association of Ringside Physicians' 2012 Annual Medical Seminar may provide an answer.

"I talk to a lot of athletes out there about who's doing what," Conte said in June. "They're frank with me, partly because it's a two-way street. Give an example: One of the top MMA training centers in Northern California that has a number of UFC fighters, and I asked the owner of the facility and the head trainer what percentage of his athletes – the 16 UFC athletes that he had – were using drugs because he was asking me to help some of his athletes, and I said, 'Well, I can't help athletes that are using drugs.'

"He wrote a list out. Long story short, eight out of the 16 were using performance-enhancing drugs. So, I think this is a small sample size, but I think these are all some of the top fighters in the UFC, so I think it is rampant."

Conte did not specifically name the camp he was describing.

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

10/20/12 2:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Radio Raheem
1317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That low?  Come on. 

10/20/12 2:54 PM
confusionSay
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this guy that credible? The last guy on JRE was claiming he was obese working out six times a week and watching calories and that by eating butter and not working out he got ripped with a six-pack...
10/20/12 3:04 PM
ViciousCesar
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ssj - shitjustgotreal.jpg

NorCal .. only one I can think of ..

I'm thinking of 3.
10/20/12 3:07 PM
Larry Appleton
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AKA has the most UFC fighters in that area Phone Post
10/20/12 3:08 PM
ChaelPFan

Could be team alpha male, cesar gracie bjj... I think there's another im missing. Gracie could be possible seeing as shields just got popped. Phone Post
10/20/12 3:09 PM
neomar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

confusionSay - Is this guy that credible? The last guy on JRE was claiming he was obese working out six times a week and watching calories and that by eating butter and not working out he got ripped with a six-pack...

Lol the fucking president and congress where after him. I'm pretty sure he's pretty credible.
10/20/12 3:10 PM
ChaelPFan

confusionSay - Is this guy that credible? The last guy on JRE was claiming he was obese working out six times a week and watching calories and that by eating butter and not working out he got ripped with a six-pack...
Who said that? Phone Post
10/20/12 3:13 PM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Larry Appleton - AKA has the most UFC fighters in that area Phone Post
16 though? Phone Post
10/20/12 3:16 PM
Authority Figure

neomar - 
confusionSay - Is this guy that credible? The last guy on JRE was claiming he was obese working out six times a week and watching calories and that by eating butter and not working out he got ripped with a six-pack...

Lol the fucking president and congress where after him. I'm pretty sure he's pretty credible.

The gov't is confident that lots of athletes tell him everything because he's been there and he knows how to get them to a new place with legal drugs at this point. So they have no reason not to disclose to him.

Besides saying a camp in California isn't dry snitching. He could simply say 16, when in truth it's 6 to throw us off. But everything else, he's credible.
10/20/12 3:17 PM
shiki31

Dave asprey Phone Post
10/20/12 3:25 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

My first guess was AKA, and tbh, it's believable. I would hope it's not true, but who knows. Phone Post
10/20/12 3:49 PM
Juice Box

Ttt Phone Post
10/20/12 4:18 PM
32Hunter

ChaelPFan - 
confusionSay - Is this guy that credible? The last guy on JRE was claiming he was obese working out six times a week and watching calories and that by eating butter and not working out he got ripped with a six-pack...
Who said that? Phone Post

bulletproof coffee guy, conte also said that guy was using provigil, apparently a speed like alertness enhancing drug, Bulletproof coffee guy didn't mention that at all I guess.

Conte seemed credible to me.
10/20/12 4:27 PM
Filo_Beto

Condit is way of the mark here. That number is actually above 90%. He's just being polite.
10/20/12 4:32 PM
quality

So he's basically saying Bob Sapp is a major steroid supplier?
10/20/12 5:13 PM
Natsirt
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quality - So he's basically saying Bob Sapp is a major steroid supplier?

No, Conte was saying that Sapp WAS in possession of a large amount of this tetrahydrogestrinone (The Clear) back in the 90s. Listen to the JRE #277, it's a fascinating podcast and Conte comes off as pretty credible to me.

Olive Garden Butthole.

10/20/12 5:23 PM
MMALOGIC

i wonder which 6 AKA fighters are on the juice...  but keep in mind this guy is a convicted felon... and he has a financial interest in people percieving there's a ped problem.

10/20/12 5:28 PM
DanChow
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG Blog has taken a number of my posts now and used them...well done.
10/20/12 5:39 PM
Kneeblock
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Othello - 
"I'm not going to name names," said Conte, "but I've talked to a lot of top players in Major League Baseball, and they tell me this is what they're doing. There is rampant use of synthetic testosterone in Major League Baseball."

Does he really expect people to believe that actual MLB players just offer up the information to him that they take PEDs?? I don't believe a word that comes out of this convicted criminals mouth and it always reeks of self promotion to me.

This. Even if his numbers are accurate, this is all a grand PR plan for Conte to somehow rehab his image. The very first day Conte tweeted Roy, I noticed it and told him to be careful, but why would he care what I had to say?

The worst thing is that Conte's not out to clean up anything. He just wants revenge because he got busted and feels like the system screwed him.

Stuntin and frontin 101.

10/20/12 6:10 PM
fanaticomma
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filo_Beto - Condit is way of the mark here. That number is actually above 90%. He's just being polite.

^That.
I always said it, and that is in any physical sport.
10/20/12 6:33 PM
blaznbison24
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy is a scumbag. Patrick was the brains behind the project and Conte could care less about cleaning up sports. He just wants to remain in the headlines.
10/20/12 6:51 PM
GregBell
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Larry Appleton -  AKA has the most UFC fighters in that area Phone Post

Yeah i dont know why he just didnt come out and say it alpha male and ceasers dont have that many guys on zuffa contracts do they. and dont know about now but that 50% number was low a few years back but they have ACs now testing so who knows.
10/20/12 6:55 PM
GregBell
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexanderTheGOAT - 
Larry Appleton - AKA has the most UFC fighters in that area Phone Post
16 though? Phone Post

he probably is calling strikeforce fighters/ufc fighters together just calling them ufc fighters because nobody has 16 guys on a ufc roster at once that would be one insane gym.
10/20/12 6:55 PM
supersonic

50 I would think is low. That was a good organ podcast

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.