UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> New Cisco vWLC, run a WLC on your laptop!

10/20/12 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got this running in my lab right now. Cisco has a virtual WLC available for download assuming you've got a CCO account that allows it. It's got a 90 day trial license, re-install after that if you need or find a perm. No ESX needed, it'll run in vmware workstation.

It's somewhat limited, no local DHCP server and you can only run the APs in flexconnect mode. It also authenticates with SSC so there might be cert issues and an AP won't work unless it has previously connected to a controller running 7.3 code, or you upgrade the AP to IOS 15. I used a 3502i and after much fighting and figuring out everything in this paragraph got it up and running.

I also have clients authenticating and doing profiling/posture assessment against an ISE VM that I had running on the some box. That VM is only available to channel partners, but you might be able to find a copy floating around if you look.

I think it's awesome that so much cisco gear is becoming available on VMs. I can run a network of routers, ASAs, IPS, ISE and now WLC (although you still need a physical AP, duh, it's a radio). It's really allowing for a lower cost of entry to the network engineering field.
10/20/12 4:43 PM
devnull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome... the AP are not that expensive if you go for something that does b/g even new. The WLC is what would set you back. Good thing for those who don't have access to real WLC.
10/23/12 12:45 AM
rfquinn
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to know...thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.