UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Riddle, Rivera UFC 149 wins changed to NC

10/20/12 4:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At UFC 149 on July 21 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Matt Riddle tapped  Chris Clements to win a $65,000 "Submission of the Night" performance bonus, and Francisco Rivera stopped Roland Delorme in the first on the prelim card.

90 days after the fight, the regulating commission revealed that the two had been suspended. However, the suspension had little effect, as it was for 90 days, and expired Friday, as it was applied retroactively.

Now comes world from MMAJunkie of a more substantial change - the bouts have been changed from a win to No Contest.

Victories at UFC 149 for Matt Riddle and Francisco Rivera will be wiped off the books and made no contests by the Calgary Combative Sports Commission.

Riddle tested positive for marijuana, while Rivera was flagged for an over-the-counter stimulant.

"It was the Commission’s decision to amendment (sic) the results of both bouts these individuals participated in to No Contest because of the positive test results and those amendments have been filed accordingly," the commission said.

Neither fighter appealed their suspensions.

Read entire article...

There is no word on whether the win money or Riddle's performance bonus will have to be returned to the UFC.

10/20/12 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhereInTheWorldIsRicardoArona - Love how marijuana is on the same pedestal as fucking steroids Phone Post
I don't believe you. Phone Post
10/20/12 4:48 PM
MdGeist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over-the-counter stimulant? I guess he had a little to much caffeine or pseudoephedrine in his system.
10/20/12 4:48 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

I agree with the NC for Rivera, but not for Riddle. Phone Post
10/20/12 4:49 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn. Riddle's win was great... A standing arm triangle.

Sucks it's a NC now. All because of a little weed. Phone Post
10/20/12 4:55 PM
jaytrainwreck
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are these commissions even testing for marijuana, it is not a PED. Phone Post
10/20/12 5:01 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

They test because it widens the possibility of collecting fees. Phone Post
10/20/12 5:02 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

fines, not fees* Phone Post
10/20/12 5:06 PM
MdGeist

YellowWrkedByTapIn -  I agree with the NC for Rivera, but not for Riddle. Phone Post

Thats kind of an ignorant comment. For all you know Rivera might have had some bad nasal congestion before the fight or maybe drank a little to much coffee.

It was OTC, not like he had amphetamines in his system.
10/20/12 5:10 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

What I do know is Riddle tested positive for weed. That win should've stayed in place. Phone Post
10/20/12 5:14 PM
RandyDarsh
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

test for weed not EPO

10/20/12 5:27 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The issue is that they knew they could not have these substances in their systems.. They used them anyway. if anything I can see Rivera's being less of an issue as he might not have know his cough syrup or whatever had the stimulant but you can't tell me Riddle didn't know.

Either way, it sucks.

10/20/12 5:37 PM
BobbyBoston
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does riddle have to give his bonus back? Phone Post
10/20/12 6:04 PM
JTRipper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For my money, wins should only be overturned for PEDs not something like marijuana. Phone Post
10/20/12 6:12 PM
brixx139

When is this stupidity going to end. Cannabis a PED? You've got to be kidding me. Phone Post
10/20/12 6:18 PM
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JTRipper -  For my money, wins should only be overturned for PEDs not something like marijuana. Phone Post

No way in hell Riddle lands that submission without the help of Mary Jane.
10/20/12 6:43 PM
Forrest Spliffn

What did you do? I took a needle in the ass then rammed my system full of stimulants in an attempt to win

What did you do ? I smoked a joint to try and chill out and ease some muscle pain.

I sentence you both to the exact same thing. Phone Post
10/20/12 7:02 PM
Authority Figure

Not only do I not agree with either NC, but I'm getting tired of this retroactive suspension bullshit. IF a fighter has broken an actual RULE, then suspend them. But make it from the moment of discovery, not retroactive.

After all, IF a fighter has broken a serious rule, he continues to break it by failing to divulge or come clean, no pun intended. But giving someone a retroactive 90 day suspension, exactly 90 days after they broke a rule is like saying you didn't really think they broke a rule at all. The point of suspensions is PUNISH the fighter. If you don't think you should punish them, DON'T accuse them of breaking a rule.

Asinine.
10/20/12 7:13 PM
BaraoKix

sweepnchoke - 
JTRipper -  For my money, wins should only be overturned for PEDs not something like marijuana. Phone Post

Another testament to join date not meaning a damn thing, when it comes to knowledge of the sport...
10/20/12 7:39 PM
Attila
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaytrainwreck -  Why are these commissions even testing for marijuana, it is not a PED. Phone Post

That tide is quickly turning on how our society deals with and thinks about marijuana. Hopefully sanity prevails and they stop testing for it within a few years.
10/20/12 8:34 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

BaraoKix - 
sweepnchoke - 

Another testament to join date not meaning a damn thing, when it comes to knowledge of the sport...

Easy, BK. I believe he was cracking a funny.

10/20/12 8:38 PM
cdmontgo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Attila - 
jaytrainwreck -  Why are these commissions even testing for marijuana, it is not a PED. Phone Post

That tide is quickly turning on how our society deals with and thinks about marijuana. Hopefully sanity prevails and they stop testing for it within a few years.

It is being tested for because it numbs the senses and affects decision making, not because it's a PED. The competitor needs real time decision making capibilities in a fight. They need to be able to assess how injured they are. It is a banned substance for the safety of the fighters, not because it enhances performance.
10/20/12 8:51 PM
myjawhurts
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jaytrainwreck - Why are these commissions even testing for marijuana, it is not a PED. Phone Post
Not that I'm against it or anything but probably because it's illegal Phone Post
10/20/12 11:21 PM
Dougie
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure it's a PED. You don't think it relaxes you and allows you to focus and deal with performance anxiety?

10/21/12 11:42 AM
themmaexpert

Dougie - 

Sure it's a PED. You don't think it relaxes you and allows you to focus and deal with performance anxiety?

That's too much logic for the meatheads to deal with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.