UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ed Soares rips CSAC: 'It's just a bunch of idiots'

10/20/12 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Team GDP
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Earlier this month, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) unanimously voted to uphold the one-year suspension of former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante. The 31-year-old Cavalcante tested positive for metabolites of the anabolic steroid stanozolol in the aftermath of his May 19 victory over Mike Kyle.

Though Cavalcante's case was not as cut and dry as most. The CSAC, a commission already without the most sparkling reputation in the fight world, upheld its ruling despite admitting to mishandling several aspects of the testing process.

"Once again, it goes to show you what a joke the California State Athletic Commission is," Cavalcante's manager, Ed Soares, fumed on Wednesday's edition of The MMA Hour. "It's just a bunch of idiots out there, man. I just can't believe that they'd sit there and admit they were wrong the way that they did. ‘Oh yeah, we did this wrong, we did that. There was a line of custody, a chain of custody that was wrong. But, we'll fix it next time.' For now he still has a full-year suspension. It's completely ridiculous. I don't even know what else to say."

Cavalcante was fined $2,500 along with his suspension.

Soares, who just returned from Brazil at the time of this interview, remains infuriated by the CSAC's complete disregard of protocol and revealed he plans to take legal action now that he's back inside the United States.

"I'm going to look into it," said Soares. "In any court of law (this wouldn't stand). They basically had the wrong date on the paperwork, they had the urine sample taken from the wrong location. [CSAC chief inspector] Che Guevara said that he threw away the urine sample on the 18th, which he didn't. It was another guy. The guy lied under oath. Where does it begin? If we were in a court of law, that case would've been thrown out. In the chain of custody, how could you have the wrong date, the wrong place where you took the sample, and still consider it fine? That's ridiculous."

Along with managing several high-profile MMA fighters, Soares was recently named the new president of Resurrection Fighting Alliance, a Nebraska-based promotion whose roster counts notable names such as Gilbert Yvel, Joe Stevenson, Tyson Griffin, Dakota Cochrane and Bubba Jenkins.

Soares is wary of his criticism of the CSAC affecting his ability to promote RFA events. But the way he sees it, somebody has to take a stand.

"It's a joke," Soares sighed. "I hope they can't take away my promoter's license, but I guess [UFC President] Dana [White] has had his share of words with the athletic commissions. But what I believe is that they're unethical, they're unorganized, and it just doesn't make any sense they way that they operate."
10/20/12 7:37 PM
Team GDP
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/20/3527344/ed-soares-rips-csac-rafael-feijao-cavalcante-suspension-steroid-stanozolol-strikeforce

10/20/12 7:52 PM
Team GDP

i would love to see this challenged in court

10/20/12 8:01 PM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm no fan of Ed Soares, but fuckin' A, it's about God damn time someone took CSAC to court for their shenanigans.  Their appeals process is a fucking joke.  I hope he bends them over and gives them a proper buggering.

10/20/12 9:35 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -  Ed speaks the truth Phone Post

10/20/12 11:31 PM
Tat2tillidie
365 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP -

i would love to see this challenged in court

. Phone Post
10/21/12 2:24 AM
CindyO

WAR Soares!!!

Cindy

10/21/12 2:29 AM
The Overseer
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For once I actually like what this guy has to say. Phone Post
10/21/12 12:01 PM
Team GDP

ttt

10/21/12 1:06 PM
donnybrook
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Csac has just hired a new head of the commission. He is a former pro fighter and will be great for mma in CA. Phone Post
10/21/12 1:14 PM
Acidic

Not a huge fan of Ed but hes right on the money. 

The problem with commisions are that they have huge egos (Kizer best example)

10/21/12 1:36 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - Ed speaks the truth Phone Post
This Phone Post
10/21/12 1:43 PM
ortman166

Glovegate -

Never liked Ed at all.  A man of questionable honesty who talks like a 14 year old surfer.

But he's right.

I just wonder if the CSAC will be such a joke if their actions all of a sudden benefit Ed.  Since he didn't defend Chael against them I'm guessing no.

Lol why would he defend chael when he was cheating against one of Ed's fighters, seeing a poster like you in the green makes me glad I'm not. Phone Post
10/21/12 3:22 PM
Team GDP

ortman166 - 
Glovegate -

Never liked Ed at all.  A man of questionable honesty who talks like a 14 year old surfer.

But he's right.

I just wonder if the CSAC will be such a joke if their actions all of a sudden benefit Ed.  Since he didn't defend Chael against them I'm guessing no.

Lol why would he defend chael when he was cheating against one of Ed's fighters, seeing a poster like you in the green makes me glad I'm not. Phone Post

that's an odd reason to not want to be in there green.

but like ortman166 said it was against one of ed's fighters. also if anything i would think ed would arguing against the CSAC in that case and their calamitous handling of the situation.

10/21/12 4:18 PM
Phisher

Isn't Che Guevara the guy who let Antonio Margarito's trainer put plaster in his wraps?

10/21/12 4:20 PM
Brian J DSouza

Guys, a lot of stuff has been going on at CSAC, all bad.

Read about the issues in-depth here: http://www.fightopinion.com/

10/21/12 4:39 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher -

Isn't Che Guevara the guy who let Antonio Margarito's trainer put plaster in his wraps?

Yes it is.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep/25/sports/sp-boxing-commission25 Phone Post
10/21/12 5:05 PM
Ronin_jutsuka
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Steve4192 -

I'm no fan of Ed Soares, but fuckin' A, it's about God damn time someone took CSAC to court for their shenanigans.  Their appeals process is a fucking joke.  I hope he bends them over and gives them a proper buggering.

I'm with you. For some reason Ed really rubs me the wrong way (no homo), but I completely agree that CSAC needs to be held to the fire on this one. Had this happened in any criminal court, the charges would have been immediately dropped.

At this point there is nothing left to do but stop holding events in the state. I know it hurts the fighters and the promotions, but it is time to stop giving money to such a corrupt organization. Phone Post
10/21/12 5:58 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

More total nonsense from glovegate. Come on man what about the chael case is even similar? Dude admitted to taking steroids he didn't have permission to take. Cut and dry.

Typical anti Anderson/Ed nonsense. Phone Post
10/21/12 6:20 PM
stonepony

Eh... Just a point here. DW did everything he could to get Anderson to fight JJ. Did everything he could to get Lyoto to take that fight. They've turned it down, and turned it down, and turned it down, and now they're complaining that Chael is getting the fight that they refused to take? Also, it diminishes Anderson to talk Chael down. The only guy who campaigned to get that fight, and the only guy to make it any kind of a challenge for Anderson. Once again Chael is signing up to take the fight that everybody else is ducking. He deserves some bit of respect for it.
10/21/12 8:45 PM
David@accu

Edited: 10/21/12 8:46 PM

Blah Blah Blah Sour Grapes!

Soares client cheated and got caught. Really that's the end of the story. Just because the lab fucks up on a CoC form doesn't mean Cavalcante is somehow absolved from his cheating.  They are two completely different issues.

This type of defense doesn't work in a court setting either. This is just another big conspiracy ploy to misdirect blame. We would have to agree there is some malicious lab workers who knew it was Cavalcante's sample and wanted to get some revenge.

When there is a mistake on a CoC form it's a shared responsibility with the next person who handled the sample. There would have to be 2 or more lab workers who conspired to screw with the sample. If I forget to sign the form, the next person who takes custody is just as guilty for signing a broke chain.

However the actual sample if intact is always independently sealed. There is a sticker that is peeled from the CoC that goes over the top of the specimen cup and as long as that wasn't broken the sample is still good to be tested.  The sticker has a coresponding number that matches the CoC form, this is called a specimen ID number

Here is an example of a CoC form from a lab I used a few years back(sorry about the blurry pic). The picture is of the sticker that goes over top of the sample. In the circle half cut off to the left of the picture is the Specimen ID number. There is another identifier just to the right of that which is the Donor ID(generally a SS#) and then finally you have the persons intials who produced the sample. This is all the scientists really see. The actual forms are generally split from the sample at arrival to prevent some malicious lab worker of doing what soares is claiming. 

10/21/12 10:31 PM
kinson

Why are there so many cry babies in mma? Phone Post
10/21/12 10:42 PM
The Overseer
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - Eh... Just a point here. DW did everything he could to get Anderson to fight JJ. Did everything he could to get Lyoto to take that fight. They've turned it down, and turned it down, and turned it down, and now they're complaining that Chael is getting the fight that they refused to take? Also, it diminishes Anderson to talk Chael down. The only guy who campaigned to get that fight, and the only guy to make it any kind of a challenge for Anderson. Once again Chael is signing up to take the fight that everybody else is ducking. He deserves some bit of respect for it.
. Phone Post
10/21/12 11:07 PM
baj54

David@accu -

Soares client cheated and got caught. Really that's the end of the story. Just because the lab fucks up on a CoC form doesn't mean Cavalcante is somehow absolved from his cheating.  They are two completely different issues.

This type of defense doesn't work in a court setting either. This is just another big conspiracy ploy to misdirect blame. We would have to agree there is some malicious lab workers who knew it was Cavalcante's sample and wanted to get some revenge.

When there is a mistake on a CoC form it's a shared responsibility with the next person who handled the sample. There would have to be 2 or more lab workers who conspired to screw with the sample. If I forget to sign the form, the next person who takes custody is just as guilty for signing a broke chain.

However the actual sample if intact is always independently sealed. There is a sticker that is peeled from the CoC that goes over the top of the specimen cup and as long as that wasn't broken the sample is still good to be tested.  The sticker has a coresponding number that matches the CoC form, this is called a specimen ID number

Here is an example of a CoC form from a lab I used a few years back(sorry about the blurry pic). The picture is of the sticker that goes over top of the sample. In the circle half cut off to the left of the picture is the Specimen ID number. There is another identifier just to the right of that which is the Donor ID(generally a SS#) and then finally you have the persons intials who produced the sample. This is all the scientists really see. The actual forms are generally split from the sample at arrival to prevent some malicious lab worker of doing what soares is claiming. 

Your missing the point. You are right that he maybe cheated, but that is why there are regulations in place to collect urine samples. The point we all should be concerned about it is the mishandling of the evidence (urine sample). How is it that a state regulated body of government can screw up so badly. There may be no legal repercussions from this because i dont think there has ever been a precedent sent forth legally. Phone Post
10/21/12 11:56 PM
kinson

baj54 -
David@accu -

Your missing the point. You are right that he maybe cheated, but that is why there are regulations in place to collect urine samples. The point we all should be concerned about it is the mishandling of the evidence (urine sample). How is it that a state regulated body of government can screw up so badly. There may be no legal repercussions from this because i dont think there has ever been a precedent sent forth legally. Phone Post
Yeah but he did cheat. I think that's the main point. If some thing needs to be done to better the piss test process then so be it. Like the other poster stated, they are two separate issues.

What exactly is Ed Bitching about? The California Athletic commission not filling out a form properly or that his fighter got caught cheating? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.