UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why I DON'T use PED's

10/21/12 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT warning:

This is a hot button topic in the MMA world in the past few years, and with Conte recently saying that 50% of fighters use PED's it has been brought back up. Not to mention the drama surrounding Carwin/Nelson, numerous failed drug tests, TRT fiascos,etc. Personally I believe the number to be higher than 50% of fighters taking something during the year, whether after fights to help the body recover from weeks and weeks of abuse, using during camps and finding ways around testing positive, or whatever the case may be. I'm not basing my thoughts on just UFC guys, but people over all levels of professional fighting, hell the UFC #'s might be lower than the overall % due to the testing procedures. However as for myself:

Quite frankly, it isn't worth it to me on various levels:

1) This is probably the sentiment most echo'd by guys who don't use PEDs, but I don't want to regret it when I am older and done with my career. I don't want to spend the rest of my life second guessing my abilities and successes, wondering if it is due to some outside advantage of factor that I didn't intrisically have.

2)The fine/penalties are too great for me in my career at this time. Sure if I was bringing home bags of cash like it has been reported some guys in Pride did, then the temptation would be greater. For me, being suspended for a year or having a large fine issued to me would be damaging to my life on a day to day basis as I live off of basicaly just my fighter purses. Take my ability to work away, and I'm in trouble financially.

3)I hate needles and don't want to take the time to do all of the scientific study to make using PED's not be a detriment to my health.

4) The "brand" of being labeled a user. Once you have been busted for steroids/etc, it will follow you your entire career. Fans are quick to forget your successess but very eager to bring up past failures in many cases, especially regarding the use of drugs.

I understand why people take them, I really do. The ability to improve on a daily basis physically is very appealing, and various PED's aid in recovery/muscle building/fat loss/etc, and can not only allow you to improve your skillset at a faster rate but also make you more marketable due to looks. If you are a top level guy and the difference between your show money and your win + show is $40k or so, then things start to look differently. It is inherently easier to continue to gain wealth WITH wealth, and a huge lump sum of $ can go a long way in buying homes, vehicles, starting business, retirement funds,etc. Whereas myself, it hasn't been worth the extra $8-$12k I could have possibly received by using and giving myself a "better" chance of winning. Throw a title on the line? The drive and desire to continue to be at the pinnacle of the sport may allow someone to convince themselves that a PED is a viable option in their career.

Me? I'll stick with trying to win fights and get fight bonuses, while training my ass off in the gym, going home and being sore and exhausted. I'd rather be in my current position of 4-3 Tom Lawlor in the UFC than be 7-0 UberLawlor and relying on something other than my own guts, intelligence (or lack of), and hard work.

10/21/12 12:42 AM
WestCoastMXC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good points Tom.

I really wonder though how many MMA fighters juice though this seems like this is the biggest sport people are likely to take steroids Phone Post
10/21/12 12:43 AM
Clarence Parents
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why you're the man Tom.

Good luck against Carmont !
10/21/12 12:43 AM
CaptainWoodyJunior

:)
10/21/12 12:44 AM
soreshins
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guilty Phone Post
10/21/12 12:45 AM
soreshins
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**** joking **** Phone Post
10/21/12 12:45 AM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clarence Parents - That's why you're the man Tom.

Thanks! I'm sure there are other fighters who echo my sentiments but many more probably justify using. Also, I'll be honest, in 2004 I purchased some clenbuterol over the internet and took it over a summer, but that is my only dabbling in with something that would be considered a PED by normal standards.

10/21/12 12:46 AM
Tom Lawlor

soreshins -  Guilty Phone Post

of being awesome? clean (of steroids,etc...not of dirt)?  Sure!

10/21/12 12:46 AM
Tyson86
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I know someone who's going to get a whole shitload of VTFUs by the time this thread is done.
10/21/12 12:47 AM
tjmitch
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plus, you dont want your balls to shrink up.
10/21/12 12:48 AM
Tom Lawlor

tjmitch - plus, you dont want your balls to shrink up.

I'm not sure my package could become any less formidable.

10/21/12 12:49 AM
soreshins

Tom Lawlor -

Haha. Only messing. I've seen your physique and KNOW you're not taking PEDs Phone Post
angryguy
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks tom. I have always looked forward to your antics and fights. Phone Post
DARTHHOGAN
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post brotha...appreciate the honesty

10/21/12 12:50 AM
Team GDP
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor - 

Thanks! I'm sure there are other fighters who echo my sentiments but many more probably justify using. Also, I'll be honest, in 2004 I purchased some clenbuterol over the internet and took it over a summer, but that is my only dabbling in with something that would be considered a PED by normal standards.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you take it for?

and thanks for posting Tom. I always enjoy reading fighters opinion on things of this nature

10/21/12 12:53 AM
Tom Lawlor

Team GDP - 
Tom Lawlor - 

and thanks for posting Tom. I always enjoy reading fighters opinion on things of this nature

supposed to raise your BMR I suppose right? I do remember my body temperature (or what felt like it) rising and feeling hot all the time, but then again it was a Florida summer and it could have just been really hot outside.

10/21/12 12:55 AM
Tom Lawlor

soreshins - 
Tom Lawlor -

Haha. Only messing. I've seen your physique and KNOW you're not taking PEDs Phone Post

it is tough trying to fight at a high level while also feeding an eating competition addiction, this physique is a byproduct of lots of years of sustenance abuse

10/21/12 12:58 AM
DJ CRUSH
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is why you are the man, Mr. Lawlor. Thanks for keepin' it clean!
soreshins

Lol @ sustenance abuse. Good luck in your next fight - i will give you a half hearted cheer in between sips of coors light Phone Post
Team GDP
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor - 
Team GDP - 
Tom Lawlor - 

supposed to raise your BMR I suppose right? I do remember my body temperature (or what felt like it) rising and feeling hot all the time, but then again it was a Florida summer and it could have just been really hot outside.

Recently, though, the drug has been publicized for its off-label use as a weight-loss drug, similar to usage of other sympathomimetic amines such as ephedrine. It is commonly used as a slimming aid despite the lack of sufficient clinical testing either supporting or negating such use.

that's from wikipedia. i didnt see anything regarding body temp though. man i don't know how you stood that humidity in florida for so long. 

interestingly enough there is a claim that mexican meat is infected with clenbuterol

In 2011, players of the Mexico national football team were found with clenbuterol in their bloodstreams, but were acquitted by WADA after they claimed the clenbuterol came from contaminated food. FIFA has also claimed 109 players from the Under-17 World Cup in Mexico tested positive for this drug, because Mexican meat is contaminated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clenbuterol

10/21/12 12:59 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope everyone reads this thread. Not only for your reasoning as to why you don't take them, but for some insight into why people WOULD use them Phone Post
10/21/12 1:01 AM
Team GDP

GriffinQ -  I hope everyone reads this thread. Not only for your reasoning as to why you don't take them, but for some insight into why people WOULD use them Phone Post

excellent point, couldn't agree more. vtfu

10/21/12 1:02 AM
Ondz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom you don't need PEDs to look good. You got great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
10/21/12 1:04 AM
Lil P

Anyone else find it awesome that one of the cleanest guys in the sport is nicknamed Filthy? War Pat Lawlor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10/21/12 1:04 AM
Tom Lawlor

GriffinQ -  I hope everyone reads this thread. Not only for your reasoning as to why you don't take them, but for some insight into why people WOULD use them Phone Post

People who are wildly successful in life usually adhere to the mindset of doing ANYTHING to succeed. If success above all else is your goal, then use PED's if you think it will help you. To me, having success without PED's is more important to me at this point. If someone told me tomorrow "You can take a bunch of steroids, test clean, and fight Nov 17" I would say no. If someone said "We are going to raise your fight purse to $200k, you can use steroids and test clean, your opponent will also be using" then coming up with an answer becomes considerably tougher.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.