UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Iceman Vs Storm

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/23/12 6:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Calebcb
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As Mark said, it's a misconception that Storm needs existing weather patterns to do something. It makes the feat she's trying to accomplish easier and faster if the weather is already trending towards what she wants to do, but she consistently and instantly creates things from nothing. It's actually Iceman who is limited by the environment.
10/23/12 7:46 AM
paw
1728 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calebcb - As Mark said, it's a misconception that Storm needs existing weather patterns to do something. It makes the feat she's trying to accomplish easier and faster if the weather is already trending towards what she wants to do, but she consistently and instantly creates things from nothing. It's actually Iceman who is limited by the environment.

Unless that's been retconned, Storm has always manipulated or sculpted existing weather patterns.  Unlike Thor, she cannot summon the weather to be whatever she wills.

10/23/12 9:20 AM
MarkRobinson
1511 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either way, she's shown ridiculous ability to create whatever weather conditions at the drop of a hat.

Are you banking on the idea that she can't get her attacks off as fast as bobby? Phone Post
10/23/12 9:44 AM
None So Blind
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -  Either way, she's shown ridiculous ability to create whatever weather conditions at the drop of a hat.

Are you banking on the idea that she can't get her attacks off as fast as bobby? Phone Post

By my reading of Bobby's powers, *if* he is assumed to be as uber-powerful as some have suggested, than ANY environment on earth (even a desert) will leave him good to go. Space.... that's a different story ;-)

But then again, Storm is worthless in space, too.

I guess it all depends on how Bobby is written - average Storm brutally slays average Bobby, but both at the top of their game means Bobby wins easy...
10/23/12 9:54 AM
paw
1728 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -  Either way, she's shown ridiculous ability to create whatever weather conditions at the drop of a hat.

Not necessarily.

I'm with NoneSoBlind.  An average Storm trounces an average Bobby.  But a Bobby at full potential destroys Storm without too much effort.

10/23/12 12:30 PM
Stickgrappler
2231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man, i've been so behind... when/what series/issue/writer did/made Iceman get so powerful?
10/23/12 1:20 PM
paw

Stickgrappler - man, i've been so behind... when/what series/issue/writer did/made Iceman get so powerful?

Tough question....it's been a recurring theme for a couple years.

In Age of Apocalypse, Bobby was grossly powerful - capable to reforming after being "killed", iirc.

In mainline continuity, I want to say that when Emma took possession of Bobby's body was the start (Uncanny X-Men 311-314...which I had to look up).  But as recently as Wolverine and the X-Men number...3?4?, Wolverine tells Bobby he's got to step up.

10/23/12 2:36 PM
Stickgrappler
2231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh dayum... only got one VU... used it on DA already today

thx paw, i owe you!
10/23/12 4:36 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Iceman via legion-like Ice Clones Phone Post
10/24/12 8:49 AM
GriffinQ
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw -
Stickgrappler - on the one hand, she's mentally tough as in leadership/maturity but on the other hand, claustrophopia is mental weakness

She hasn't been portrayed as mature in her leadership in recent issues of Astonishing X-Men - she's actually been portrayed as more controlling than Cyclops has been portrayed.

It's also been strongly hinted that she's going to regress as a result of having her husband just annull her marriage.  (Hence being in Uncanny X-Force and having a mohawk).

Haven't been super up to date on the X men the last few years... T'Challa is annulling his marriage to Storm? Why? Phone Post
10/24/12 9:12 AM
paw

GriffinQ - 
paw -
Stickgrappler - on the one hand, she's mentally tough as in leadership/maturity but on the other hand, claustrophopia is mental weakness

She hasn't been portrayed as mature in her leadership in recent issues of Astonishing X-Men - she's actually been portrayed as more controlling than Cyclops has been portrayed.

It's also been strongly hinted that she's going to regress as a result of having her husband just annull her marriage.  (Hence being in Uncanny X-Force and having a mohawk).

Haven't been super up to date on the X men the last few years... T'Challa is annulling his marriage to Storm? Why? Phone Post

The in story reason is iffy.....she's been spending A LOT of time with the x-men, he's been spending A LOT of time away (he was Daredevil for a while...sorta).  During A vs X she supported the x-men, he supported the Avengers.  Then Namor crushed Wakanda in A vs X and T'Challa annulled his marriage to Storm.

T'Challa further indicated his irrational hatred for mutants by firing on Wolverine (who sided with the Avengers during A vs X) who was piloting the Blackbird filled with students (who were forcably interned by the Avengers during A vs X) who were traveling to Wakanda to assist in rescue/rebuild operations.

The "business" reason is probably something like this:

1) A fairly large segment of the fans cried foul as soon as Storm was married to BP for a host a reasons

2) Once Storm was married, she disappeared from the X-titles to appear in BP.  Sales of BP didn't improve and the title was cancelled, leaving Storm - a fairly popular character - in comic limbo

3) Bringing Storm back into the x-titles meant Storm was "single" appearing without any reference or acknowledgement of BP or the marriage (so why was she married?)

So...it seems marrying Storm to BP only removed a popular character from the x-titles (bad), so it was undone.

Or at least that would be my guess.

10/24/12 10:10 AM
None So Blind
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 
Stickgrappler - man, i've been so behind... when/what series/issue/writer did/made Iceman get so powerful?

Tough question....it's been a recurring theme for a couple years.

In Age of Apocalypse, Bobby was grossly powerful - capable to reforming after being "killed", iirc.

In mainline continuity, I want to say that when Emma took possession of Bobby's body was the start (Uncanny X-Men 311-314...which I had to look up).  But as recently as Wolverine and the X-Men number...3?4?, Wolverine tells Bobby he's got to step up.

To tie it in with the Thor connection - around Thor 375 or so, Bobby was kidnapped by Loki and used as a power source to amp up the Frost Giants (whom Loki then sicced on Thor).

Whatever machine Bobby got put into appeared to either amp up his powers or else "unleash" them, he got so amazingly cold and in such a wide radius that the Frost Giants (beings that thrive in cold and actually get stronger the colder it gets) noted that they had to stay the fuck away from him, his cold was so powerful it would have *killed* them...
10/24/12 10:25 AM
Stickgrappler

oh dayum, i still owe paw a VU, promised BigWilliam a VU today, and NoneSoBlind delivers... owe you too bro!

and dayum paw, thx for the BP/Storm catchup.

wow, after NSB's Bobby writeup, have to make a mental note to up him in my head of power playas in the MU

thank you one and all!
10/24/12 10:39 AM
None So Blind

Dunno if I'd make him a power player, simply based on his mindset. If he had Magneto's mindset, he'd be a truly dangerous motherfucker; his traditional Pee-Wee Herman mindset, on the other hand, does not inspire confidence :-P
10/24/12 10:57 AM
Stickgrappler

lol true that.
10/24/12 3:13 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BOBBY NOW IS FAR MORE POWERFUL THAN HE USED TO BE.  HE IS STARTING TO LEARN THE FULL EXTENT OF HIS POWERS.    HE TAKES IT.  

10/24/12 4:08 PM
migwar
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby by being pretty much immortal. I'm sure I've read comics where Storms powers seem to drain her physically.

Bobbys abilities seems to be intrinsic to his being ( if that makes sense?)

Bobby wins by attrition. However I could see Storm getting the drop tactically for a win but its a low % chance.
10/25/12 9:44 AM
Icepac
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does Storm do to Bobby? That hit by lightning was long before Bobby figured out he could reform body parts and was virtually immortal. He was possibly still being portrayed as a teen in those comics, remember he was way younger than any of the original Xmen. Hes had a power boost in the last few years, with no good explanation like secondary mutation (like Emmas diamond form) or re-birth from death (like Colossus), but his power has been amped up. Hes been described as Omega level mutant, with puts him on the Magneto, Vulcan, Legion league.
While no writer has written Bobby up to this vast potential, they overwrite Storms abilities just to have her fold like a paper napkin just as often. Her Lightning does nothing to Bobby now that he wont revert to human form, so whats left? Making it rain on him? Possibly her best attack would be a wind attack, maybe that would make it interesting. Hand to hand? Storm against an army or instant ice clones as big as Bobby wanted to make them? I dont see how Storm wins honestly. Bobby has a million ways to win, Encase in ice, lower ambient temp till she freezes, ice spikes sent hurling toward her, an army of ice giants to pummel her... I take a motivated adult Bobby all day.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.