UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Just took up fishing

10/21/12 7:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeterIrl
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF?! This is like crack.

Been out twice, haven't caught anything but I fucking love it.
10/30/12 9:11 AM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its a great sport, I'm glad you enjoy it. The catches will improve ! Post pics... "fish pics" in hunt/fish or "i fear no fish" on the og.
10/30/12 8:13 PM
JackFunk
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn and practice a couple of knots on your off time, don't forget to lubricate them when drawing them down.

Also, get a little hook sharpener file and touch up your hook points all the time, hooks should be 'sticky' sharp.

Also, I recommend using Barbless hooks, not only for ease of fish release but also, way less traumatic when you get a hook in you, and you will at some point.

Wear glasses when others are casting around you, polarized will help you see and save a hook in the eyeball.
2/2/13 9:49 PM
Josh Davies
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PeterIrl - WTF?! This is like crack.

Been out twice, haven't caught anything but I fucking love it.

i went for the first time two weeks ago and caught a little brim, but i completely agree its so addictive! im going again in a couple weeks with a few upgraded hooks and bigger bait haha

2/9/13 5:54 PM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JackFunk - Learn and practice a couple of knots on your off time, don't forget to lubricate them when drawing them down.

Also, get a little hook sharpener file and touch up your hook points all the time, hooks should be 'sticky' sharp.

Also, I recommend using Barbless hooks, not only for ease of fish release but also, way less traumatic when you get a hook in you, and you will at some point.

Wear glasses when others are casting around you, polarized will help you see and save a hook in the eyeball.

Definitely agee with many of these points. I've been fishing for over 20 years (about 15 years competitively) and you have no idea how many people I have seen tie knots without lubricating them. Also. I have never stuck myself with a hook in my entire fishing career and it's something I am very careful about. Have cut the tip of my finger off with a knife before though lol. 

Here are a few little tips I'd give the OP:

- Spend some money and get some decent gear. You could spend thousands but it would be pointless, $100-150 should get you a top quality outfit. The ergonomics of more expensive gear means that you can fish all day without getting a sore arm. 

- Use braid instead of monofilament line, it's got no stretch and is ultra thin. It will detect the smallest bite. The only type of fishing I do with regular monofilament is gamefishing (need the stretch for shock absorption). 

- Use flurocarbon leader for your rigs, it's refraction index is nearly identical to water which means it is virtually invisible. The lighter you can go, the better. 

- Barbless hooks are good for releasing fish, but circle hooks are even better. They look a little odd and they can be tricky to set, but since converting to them for Billfish we have only had 1 out of about 100 not hook up in the corner of the jaw compared to about 15-20/100 for normal hooks. 

- Learn about what species you can target in a waterway and target them - do research on techniques and tricks to catch those fish.

3/26/13 11:12 PM
DonkeyKick215
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

catfish love a big blob of chicken liver right on a hook tied at the end of the line. No weight needed

tie it with red sewing thread and it will look loke a blob of meat at the end of a hook.

If you use a decent sized hook it will cast pretty far. 50 feet or so.

leave your spool open and when he runs with it lock your spool and get ready for a battle.

I like using 10 lb line for this
3/27/13 3:38 AM
JBASS
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DonkeyKick215 - catfish love a big blob of chicken liver right on a hook tied at the end of the line. No weight needed

tie it with red sewing thread and it will look loke a blob of meat at the end of a hook.

If you use a decent sized hook it will cast pretty far. 50 feet or so.

leave your spool open and when he runs with it lock your spool and get ready for a battle.

I like using 10 lb line for this

If that's how you fish for catfish with bait, I'd recommend using circle hooks if you plan on releasing fish. Rig it the exact same way, but leave the bail arm closed and a bit of slack line. That little bit of slack line will give the fish enough time to swallow down the bait and by the time the line is tight. the circle hook will find it's place in the corner of the jaw. No need to strike at the fish, they literally hook themselves. You just need to be patient and let them do all the work. 

They really sound like a prime candidate for using circle hooks, something I always do when bait fishing. The only 'J' hooks I use are for trolling lures and fishing with soft plastics. Circle hooks for everything else.  

7/10/13 6:11 PM
jdsga
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JBASS - 
JackFunk - Learn and practice a couple of knots on your off time, don't forget to lubricate them when drawing them down.

Definitely agee with many of these points. I've been fishing for over 20 years (about 15 years competitively) and you have no idea how many people I have seen tie knots without lubricating them. Also. I have never stuck myself with a hook in my entire fishing career and it's something I am very careful about. Have cut the tip of my finger off with a knife before though lol. 

Here are a few little tips I'd give the OP:

- Spend some money and get some decent gear. You could spend thousands but it would be pointless, $100-150 should get you a top quality outfit. The ergonomics of more expensive gear means that you can fish all day without getting a sore arm. 

- Use braid instead of monofilament line, it's got no stretch and is ultra thin. It will detect the smallest bite. The only type of fishing I do with regular monofilament is gamefishing (need the stretch for shock absorption). 

- Use flurocarbon leader for your rigs, it's refraction index is nearly identical to water which means it is virtually invisible. The lighter you can go, the better. 

- Barbless hooks are good for releasing fish, but circle hooks are even better. They look a little odd and they can be tricky to set, but since converting to them for Billfish we have only had 1 out of about 100 not hook up in the corner of the jaw compared to about 15-20/100 for normal hooks. 

- Learn about what species you can target in a waterway and target them - do research on techniques and tricks to catch those fish.

I agree with all this except for using braided line. I've never found a brand or a lb test that didn't let me down. trilene big game is about the only line I ever buy anymore. Its never let me down.

Where are you fishing and what are you fishing for OP?
7/10/13 8:08 PM
XIITT_JBASS

^^have you spooled any of your reels with braid before? It's better than mono for everything except gamefishing IMHO. Most pro anglers use it because of it's sensitivity, superior casting and responsiveness. You feel a lot more bites. I find that the people who don't like braid are people who have never used it.

We used trilene for a season on Marlin and had nothing but problems. Inconsistencies with the line and damage from simply being spooled, lost a lot of fish. Changed over to momoi and stren gold and have never looked back since Phone Post
7/10/13 8:28 PM
jdsga
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XIITT_JBASS -  ^^have you spooled any of your reels with braid before? It's better than mono for everything except gamefishing IMHO. Most pro anglers use it because of it's sensitivity, superior casting and responsiveness. You feel a lot more bites. I find that the people who don't like braid are people who have never used it.

We used trilene for a season on Marlin and had nothing but problems. Inconsistencies with the line and damage from simply being spooled, lost a lot of fish. Changed over to momoi and stren gold and have never looked back since Phone Post

Oh god yeah...spiderwire, gorilla braid, a few more I've forgotten the names to. I agree with you about sensitivity and casting, in that area its better than mono but that shit always breaks. Ive gone as high as 80lb test fishing for largemouth and it still broke on smaller fish. Ive spent well over $100 trying to find one I like and I haven't. What i've heard from pro's is except for a few situations mono is generally better, and I tend to agree.

Ive never had that problem with trilene but Ive never used it for something as big as marlin. Freshwater and inshore saltwater is mostly what i fish.
7/11/13 5:43 AM
XIITT_JBASS

Where abouts was the line breaking? Did you tie it directly to the terminal tackle or did you use a leader? Braid's knot capabilities directly onto terminal tackle is terrible, I usually use a short length of fluorocarbon joined to the braid via a Slim Beauty knot and then tie on my lure. I've caught Sailfish and little Black Marlin on 10lb braid with that setup and it's landed those fish. I've also caught Yellowtail Kingfish to 12lb on 4lb braid and never missed a beat, gotten reefed but the breaks were always in the fluorocarbon and not the braid.
Yeah Gorilla braid and Spiderwire aren't the greatest braids around, try Sunline or Stren Microfuse. Especially Sunline, it's the #1 line for 10lb and under IMO

I know I've started to catch more fish since changing to braid for everything but gamefishing and would never consider changing back. Phone Post
7/12/13 12:13 AM
jdsga

Mostly I tie directly to hooks/lures but I have used leaders as well. The last failure I had was shark fishing. The braided line was tied to a 6 foot wire leader and constantly broke, unsure of the brand.

I'm always open to new tips and i'll try sunline or stren next time I buy line. However I stand by trilene big game and i'll defend that shit till the death. I've caught a ton of big fish on it and its been fantastic. Thanks for the info. You seem to have more experience with big saltwater fish than I do.
7/12/13 3:38 AM
XIITT_JBASS

Yeah braid directly onto terminal tackle or wire is no good. Use a slim beauty to tie the braid to the fluorocarbon, I've never had a break in the braid since rigging like that.

Yeah you're right, most of my experience is saltwater big game but I do a fair bit of inshore work as well in my little boat. If you like mono, give Stren a go. Good abrasion resistance Phone Post
7/12/13 11:29 AM
XIITT_JBASS

I forgot to ask - when you used a leader with the braid, how did you join the lines? Via a piece of terminal tackle? Or did you use a knot and if so, which knot? Phone Post
7/12/13 3:41 PM
jdsga

If I was using a leader I used a swivel to attach them.
7/12/13 7:27 PM
XIITT_JBASS

Ahhh I've just found where you've been going wrong with braid my friend. Braid doesn't get line twist in it like monofilament does, thus it doesn't require a swivel. By using a swivel to join a short length of leader, you essentially have the same issues as when tying directly to a hook (poor knot strength). I made the same mistake when I started using braid about ten years ago, luckily someone was able to point me in the right direction pretty quickly. I've troubleshooted braid outfits for friends who were using it for the first time and this was a very common mistake people made. Use the knot in the video I have embedded and the braid will never fail you like it has done, after showing my friends the way to rig they now all love braid.

VTFU, love me some fishing chat

7/12/13 11:47 PM
jdsga

Perhaps thats where i've been going wrong with braid. I'll give that a try. Voted up for the tip.
7/12/13 11:54 PM
jdsga

Also, I know all the advantages or fluorocarbon but do you ever tie it directly to mono? Or do you just prefer fluorocarbon?
7/13/13 4:45 AM
XIITT_JBASS

jdsga - Also, I know all the advantages or fluorocarbon but do you ever tie it directly to mono? Or do you just prefer fluorocarbon?

I like Fluorocarbon because it's refraction index is basically identical to water, this means that it is invisible to the fish. 

I'd be lying if I said I don't use mono for leaders at all, I use 200-600lb mono leaders when trolling lures and skip baits for Marlin. When trolling, my leaders are never fully in the water and the wash from the boat hides the short length of leader that is in the water. So essentially, the benefits you gain from using fluorocarbon in that situation is nullified since the fish only see the lure smoking or skip bait splashing on the surface. Having said that, I do use fluorocarbon if live baiting for Marlin; since the boat is stationary or barely moving, mono becomes much more visible.  

7/14/13 11:46 PM
jdsga

Yeah i'm familiar with fluorocarbon and that makes sense. If i'm fishing saltwater at some point i'm fishing for sharks. If you need to attach a braid to a wire leader how do you do it?
7/15/13 4:20 AM
XIITT_JBASS

How big are the sharks you're fishing for and what lb test are you using??

I'd recommend spooling with braid and then doing a top shot of about 50 yards of mono to act like a shock absorber. Tie a plaited double in the mono, tie on a snap swivel and then clip on your wire. Phone Post
7/15/13 4:32 AM
XIITT_JBASS

Personally though, I'd use mono on bigger sharks. The stretch and additional water pressure with mono gives more margin for error so hooks don't get ripped or fall out. That same margin for error is what you're doing by topshotting the reel with the 50 yards of mono. It's really only needed for big gamefish, not for smaller species.
Guys do use Braid for gamefishing with mono topshots, it's so smaller reels can be used for a line class without sacrificing line capacity. Phone Post
7/15/13 4:06 PM
jdsga

Gotcha. I haven't been yet this year but the biggest one we caught last year was a 7 foot tiger. It was on 50lb mono with a wire leader. Sensitivity I don't think is much of an issue with sharks. There isn't ever much of a doubt when a decent size shark hits your line.

I'd love to be able to go more but I recently moved and now I'm about 7 hours from the ocean.
7/15/13 7:00 PM
XIITT_JBASS

Yeah exactly, a shark hits a bait and just goes. You'll know about it whether you're using braid or mono. We've caught tigers up to 1100lb on 30lb tackle, used mono on those boats. Just gotta try annoy the fish until it comes up hahaha. 

I hear ya about moving away from the ocean, I am close to it but there is virtually nothing that swims offshore here that is worth chasing. I have to drive 4 hours to go chase Bluefin Tuna or at least 6 hours to catch Marlin. 

7/15/13 9:39 PM
jdsga

I've got plenty of descent bass fishing where I am now and everyone around here loves it but to me it doesn't compare to saltwater. I've gotten pretty hooked on redfish and shark fishing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.