UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fan backlash forces Franklin to rethink TRT

10/22/12 8:43 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Rich Franklin is a prime candidate to receive testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). At 38, he’s at an age where his natural testosterone levels inevitably decline. He’s sore in the morning when he wakes up and his recovery time is noticeably longer.

Franklin, though, says he is not on TRT for his fight against Cung Le on Nov. 10, which will headline the UFC on Fuel event in Macau, China.

For the record, Franklin holds no personal feelings against TRT. It’s legal.

However, when he initially mentioned during an interview months ago he would consider TRT, the response from fans on his Twitter and Facebook accounts was venomous.

“The public perception of TRT is that it’s cheating,” Franklin told ESPN.com. “The moment I said I was actually thinking about it, I started getting quite a bit of backlash.”

“I don’t believe I’ve dropped off with my speed or strength or any of that,” Franklin said. “You can’t look at my last fight and say, ‘Yeah, Rich has lost a step and is looking older.’

“When that day comes, perhaps I will consider quitting or possibly taking TRT. More than likely, in my mind, I’ll choose retirement over the necessity of TRT to continue.”

Read entire article...

10/22/12 8:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crazydave
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every male over 35 should be on TRT.

10/22/12 8:53 AM
Beggsie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of TRT. Why can't every fighter just compete naturally? Phone Post
10/22/12 8:56 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was Franklin on TRT for UFC 147? Because he looked great in that fight...

10/22/12 8:57 AM
Wovito
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave - 

This is the logic that forces clean fighters to choose between honor / integrity and having a career in MMA.

Some things are not for sale.
10/22/12 9:19 AM
Sofa King Cool
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, Rich is 38? I'd love to see him go out on a few wins. Phone Post
10/22/12 9:25 AM
Kostakio
484 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crazydave - 

Why? If men over 35 were meant to have higher testosterone then wouldn't they have it?

10/22/12 9:39 AM
MMALOGIC

TRT is candy compared to what's availalable.

10/22/12 9:43 AM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it legal?

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

Naive people need to shut up about this issue already.
10/22/12 9:48 AM
Sprawl'n'Stall
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

TRT is candy compared to what's availalable.

And to what is used. The mass hysteria and backlash prevent the truth. Which athlete would "come clean" with all the CHEATER accusation being thrown about?

I personally think most top MMA guys are not on TRT, they are on PEDs cycles, period. Maybe this current hysteria from the Armstrong case will really help clean up sports but I doubt it. For example, MMA tests are easy to beat and the fighters tested at fight times so...
10/22/12 9:52 AM
Sprawl'n'Stall
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muppetsbungalowedbeyatch - Is it legal?

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

That's beside the point. Roids are legal in many countries, such as Brazil. Medical marijuana is legal here and still the AC won't let it pass.

The issue is more of weak testing protocols, heads in the sand by the masses, and rampant hypocrisy for PR reasons by the organizations (NFL, NHL, UFC , etc.). Cycling went hard after its dopers and they are labeled as the "dirtiest sport". Yes honesty pays...

10/22/12 10:19 AM
Rogans secret stash
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muppetsbungalowedbeyatch - Is it legal?

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

This. Fuck the haters. Phone Post
10/22/12 10:23 AM
Jons Forsberg

"Roids are legal in many countries, such as Brazil."

Roids aren't legal in Brazil.
10/22/12 10:26 AM
UGCTT croy_00
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogans secret stash - 

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

For me, it's not whether it is cheating or not. It's just that if they are going to allow it, they need to regulate it more often with random tests. I mean, there are guys who are on it that abuse it between fights for sure.
10/22/12 10:27 AM
Lazer MMA

Rogans secret stash - 

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

I hope Ace does what is right for him. If he needs it for rational reasons pertaining to his health as others have taken TRT for, IMO only the ignorant would complain as it's legal.
10/22/12 10:28 AM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sprawl'n'Stall - 

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

That's beside the point. Roids are legal in many countries, such as Brazil. Medical marijuana is legal here and still the AC won't let it pass.

The issue is more of weak testing protocols, heads in the sand by the masses, and rampant hypocrisy for PR reasons by the organizations (NFL, NHL, UFC , etc.). Cycling went hard after its dopers and they are labeled as the "dirtiest sport". Yes honesty pays...

You are very naive if you think medical marijuana is "legal".

You can be arrested any time for possessing it, even if you have a license, or if you are a licensed grower.

It is still a federal crime to possess or grow it.
10/22/12 10:30 AM
Chimonos Revenge

Also, by my comments asking if it is legal, im not talking state or federal legality.

I'm talking about it is legal to use according to the athletic commissions.
10/22/12 10:30 AM
BravoPUA
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRT used properly is just like any other medical condition and treatment.

If not needed or abused, that is different.

Anyone who has an issue with someone who is using it properly clearly doesn't understand it. Phone Post
10/22/12 10:31 AM
Chimonos Revenge

BravoPUA -  TRT used properly is just like any other medical condition and treatment.

If not needed or abused, that is different.

Anyone who has an issue with someone who is using it properly clearly doesn't understand it. Phone Post

Agreed.

And I see tons of comments made on the subject by people who definitely do not understand it.
10/22/12 10:35 AM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/22/12 10:35 AM

My opinion is that a person's need for TRT is more appropiately a discussion between a patient and doctor as oppsed to fans. Now whehter said person can fight and put on a paid performance for said fans while on TRT, depends upon what regullatory bodies will allow. In this latter case, fans(and the general public) certainly can and should be able to voice input on that.

10/22/12 10:37 AM
Chimonos Revenge

MITman2k - 

My opinion is that a person's need for TRT is more appropiately a discussion between a patient and doctor as oppsed to fans. Now whehter said person can fight and put on a paid performance for said fans while on TRT, depends upon what regullatory bodies will allow. In this latter case, fans(and the general public) certainly can and should be able to voice input on that.

The problem is that most fans "voicing their input" comes from a place of total idiocy and misunderstanding.

Just read a couple threads on the UG to get what I mean :) :)
10/22/12 11:10 AM
Uchi
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whether its legal or not, you have to appreciate Franklin's candor. Most fighters wouldn't think to poll their fanbase about such a thing, let along actually consider listening to them.

When Franklin does retire, it'll be sad day. He has been one of the classiest champions and best representatives of this sport over the last decade.
10/22/12 11:16 AM
Dongbar
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if he plans on having any kids? Phone Post
10/22/12 11:19 AM
DAVID H
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes.

Then it isn't cheating.

The over the counter medication that guy took (Rivera I think?) before his lost UFC fight, which was changed to a NC, is also legal...
10/22/12 11:23 AM
DAVID H
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO, if some needs TRT for personal reasons and it improves their life, then good for them. But if you need it to compete in professional sports, then it's cheating and you should not be a professional athlete...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.