UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> VEGETARIAN DIET AND THE GORILLA AND GORILLA TURDS?

10/22/12 9:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
blacksamurai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay my MMA trainer has been vegetarian for almost to years he is always telling us after sparring, rolling etc that the biggest strongest animals in the animal kingdom do not eat meat mainly the gorilla, but was watching tosh the other day, and he showed a gorilla eating his own turds right out the popper he caught with his hand then ate it!

So what is lacking in a gorillas diet to make him eat his own turds is this the way
They get b vitamins cause i was told by a friend of mind that its hard to get b vitamins without heat, fire etc is this the case? Phone Post
10/22/12 12:52 PM
Leigh
765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your MMA trainer is incorrect. Whales are carnivorous.

He is also an imbecile if he is trying to convince that eating like another animal will cause you to grow big like one. That taking the characteristics of an animal by eating their food sounds like something a witch doctor would say.
10/22/12 1:03 PM
turducken

exactly. if that kind of logic really worked, then observing leigh would suggest that eating sloppy chinese takeout will get you shredded
10/22/12 3:36 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One really good reason for the difference between the size and muscle that Gorillas pack on with a vegetarian diet versus how humans struggle to get big and lean on diets with vastly more protein: Humans burn/metabolize protein and muscle, Gorillas don't. At least not nearly at the same rate as humans. Its all do to myostatin levels--the hormone that tells the body to burn its muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin

Ever seen pictures of a myostatin deficient cow? Those things are pure muscle off a diet of grass...

http://www.who-sucks.com/wp-content/uploads/icons//2007/07/myostatin_deficient_cow.jpg

10/22/12 10:10 PM
blacksamurai

And why would a Gorilla eat a big ass turd like a banana tho? Phone Post
10/23/12 2:35 AM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blacksamurai -  And why would a Gorilla eat a big ass turd like a banana tho? Phone Post

Because they are stupid?
10/23/12 7:37 AM
Zero1
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I´am vegan and don´t care abour gorillas. As long as you eat strong foods (beans, lentils, avocados, nuts, seeds,etc.) and supplement with plant protein you get big and strong and I would never go back to a regular diet.
10/23/12 3:43 PM
blacksamurai

molsonman -
blacksamurai -  And why would a Gorilla eat a big ass turd like a banana tho? Phone Post

Because they are stupid?
Oh like fecophilia or something... Phone Post
10/24/12 1:28 PM
Taku
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peoples personal eating plans are a matter of choice. That being said...There is no advantage to becoming a Vegan. Most make this choice based on Moral / Ethical reasons. Some for what they feel are health benefits. Being vegan is not automatically better for you, nor is it automatically better for the environment, etc.

I am "Pro Choice" so, if one wishes to be Vegan...knock yourself out. Just being clear that it is one very specific way of eating and it's not for everyone.

TAKU

10/24/12 4:30 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the vast majority of vegans are healthier, however. Of course there are the junk food vegans/vegetarians that we've spoken of in many threads in the past but I rarely see vegans who don't know about b12 or omega-3s etc whilst I see even body builders who only understand macros and not trace minerals, nutrients, vitamins, etc.

That being said, your coach/trainer, OP is a bit nuts...Gorillas also have little peckers so does that suggest that dudes with small penises are stronger than dudes with larger penises? 

Taku, it is actually better for the environment, it's just hard to really conceptualize it but overall, the major production of grain and soy and corn (all terrible things) are done to fatten up livestock (also something they shouldn't be consuming since they ruminant animals. So, that alone is "better" for the environment. 

10/24/12 4:56 PM
MixedMartialTart

herwil10 - One really good reason for the difference between the size and muscle that Gorillas pack on with a vegetarian diet versus how humans struggle to get big and lean on diets with vastly more protein: Humans burn/metabolize protein and muscle, Gorillas don't. At least not nearly at the same rate as humans. Its all do to myostatin levels--the hormone that tells the body to burn its muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin

Ever seen pictures of a myostatin deficient cow? Those things are pure muscle off a diet of grass...

http://www.who-sucks.com/wp-content/uploads/icons//2007/07/myostatin_deficient_cow.jpg

5* star post. Also to OP, I'd be concerned about his personal diet choices being preached in class. My coaches are all vegan but I wouldn't know unless I asked. You can be very healthy and eat meat too. Phone Post
10/24/12 9:57 PM
ravenman2000
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You get strong by eating strong animals.  You take their essence when you do so.  To get even stronger exponentially, you just...

10/24/12 11:08 PM
aries45
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - Your MMA trainer is incorrect. Whales are carnivorous.

He is also an imbecile if he is trying to convince that eating like another animal will cause you to grow big like one. That taking the characteristics of an animal by eating their food sounds like something a witch doctor would say.
I'm always a fan of your posts but this may be one of the best (non technical). Witch doctor = legit lol. Phone Post
10/25/12 2:37 AM
Leigh
765 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers :) Phone Post
10/25/12 9:40 AM
SCRAPPER
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you training with Matt Furey?
10/25/12 9:42 AM
Taku
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Arthur,

What I meant was that industrialized farming is one of the worst things for the planet. If we assume all vegans are totally concious of the source of their food...Then perhaps in theory it's not bad. But I feel many people are not aware. Farming on the super scale at which it is done today, is one of the worst things going for the planet.

So...what I was implying is that if you feel that just because you eat a plant based diet, it is better for the earth...you are mistaken.

Hope that's clear.

TAKU

10/25/12 3:20 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I knew that's what you were saying, I was actually trying to re-iterate it but I guess, I rushed and wasn't too clear :)

Great input as always, Taku!

10/25/12 3:46 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because you have to peel a turd to get to the good stuff?
10/25/12 4:16 PM
ravenman2000

Edited: 10/25/12 4:21 PM
Taku - 

Hey Arthur,

What I meant was that industrialized farming is one of the worst things for the planet. If we assume all vegans are totally concious of the source of their food...Then perhaps in theory it's not bad. But I feel many people are not aware. Farming on the super scale at which it is done today, is one of the worst things going for the planet.

So...what I was implying is that if you feel that just because you eat a plant based diet, it is better for the earth...you are mistaken.

Hope that's clear.

TAKU

I am a heavy meat eater myself, but to be fair, eating a plant-based diet is better for the earth because it reduces industrialized farming.  This is due to the fact that the majority of crops are grown in order to *drum roll* produce feed for the animals we eat.  If we were all to eat plants instead of those animals, then the increase in the amount of plants we eat would still fall very, very short of the amount of plant matter those animals were eating.  Of course, hunting and catching wild fish (which I also do) resolves this issue, but with the current population, it wouldn't be feasible for everyone to rely on that for subsistence.

10/25/12 4:56 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Peoples personal eating plans are a matter of choice. That being said...There is no advantage to becoming a Vegan. Most make this choice based on Moral / Ethical reasons. Some for what they feel are health benefits. Being vegan is not automatically better for you, nor is it automatically better for the environment, etc.

I am "Pro Choice" so, if one wishes to be Vegan...knock yourself out. Just being clear that it is one very specific way of eating and it's not for everyone.

TAKU

What they 'feel' are health benefits? Personally I was eating healthy before going vegan, but still my LDL dropped, WBC count went up, my allergies went away, energy level is consistently higher and I'm measurably faster on my bike. The health benefits are real and measurable.

If you mean that just stopping the consumption of animal products isn't fundamentally healthy you're correct. You can still eat like crap as a vegan as we've talked about in other threads. But to say there are no advantages (or downsides) to being vegan diet just isn't true.
10/25/12 5:37 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

I love how the last two posts, re-iterated what I all ready said. Love ya'll and love my paleo vegan haters also :P

10/25/12 9:20 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just tacked the junk food vegan thing on to agree with that point. I think I brought it up originally in the other threads. Or you did in an earlier thread I didn't read. ;)

Can I also agree that feedlot beef and the corn subsidy crap that supports it is incredibly harmful to humanity as a whole without offending anyone? That shit is terrible for us in more ways than one.
10/25/12 9:42 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

yes but the government + big Arg don't care. more profit today and no care for the future.

10/26/12 11:54 AM
Taku

Hey Raveman...Not sure I agree with the idea that simply having a higher number of folks eat a plant based diet, automatically = less industrailized farming.

MONSANTO = PURE EVIL. STOP GMO at all costs. Do your homework and see if this is a easy or hard. While you are at it, look into what farming on a large scale does to top soil, etc.

Good Information HERE:

It is not an easy problem to solve.

Big_Slacker...Great to hear that you have experienced health benefits from changing your personal eating plan.

I do not have a name for the way I eat, but if someone were tp pigeon-hole it I would say it looks like a PALEO approach. In all honesty I don't consume a lot of red meat, but I do eat eggs, and raw milk, as well as chicken and fish occasionally.

All meats that I buy are free range (wild caught), organic, etc. Beef (bison, etc) is always free-range, grass fed, organic. I only drink whole raw milk (and don't drink it that often). I use protein powder that has no colors, additives, flavors etc. I consume a good amount of leafy greens, fresh fruits, raw nuts and seeds, etc. I avoid bread, pasta (all refined carbs). Don't eat beans or potato's either. I rarely consume tempeh or tofu products.

My body seems to function best on this sort of plan. I have experimented with many approaches and this one "feels" best for me.

TAKU

10/26/12 1:49 PM
big_slacker

^^ Agree about Monsanto. They are indeed the very definition of the evil soulless corporation bent on profits at the expense of the health of everyone worldwide. They do shit that reads like a movie script. Like having a scientist in charge of a half assed study showing the BGH milk was safe, then using political sway to get her a job at the FDA where she APPROVE HER OWN REPORT! Then the FDA decided not to label the milk as BGH produced. the guy making the decision? A former Monsanto lawyer who was in charge of their anti-BGH labeling efforts. Haha, really?

They're spending a million dollars a day campaigning against the GMO labeling measure in CA on the current ballot and just might be able to buy it. Started out with 60+ percent in favor, almost dead even now.

You're right about finding what works. If you read a lot online about athletic diets it's always pushed that every athlete needs mass protein to make it work and you cut BF by going low carb. I've found that this isn't anything like optimal for me, and I've been strict and loose with this idea. Yes, I was able to put on mass and cut BF as needed but I always felt like crap during both phases and that's just not good for performance or long term health.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.