UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: I lost the desire to compete

10/22/12 4:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I wouldn't say I've closed the door [on my career], but I've got my hand on the door handle," Hughes said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "You know it's been over a year since I've fought, and I've having a good time with my family raising my kids, which I think is a bigger thing than me competing, making sure my family is raised right. So I'm having a good time at home with the family, and kind of, maybe, lost the desire just a little bit to compete. I'm not retired yet, but it is looking like that's where I'm going."

Like many aging UFC legends, Hughes retirement has been met, in part, with some gentle coaxing from UFC President Dana White.

"We have talked and he's voiced his opinion about me," admits Hughes. "He just says I've got nothing to prove, and for Dana to say that, it means something. I think he's taking my best interests to heart. I still think he could make some money off me, put me on a card, but he's looking past the financial side of things, and saying, ‘Hey, you've been here for a long time and you're good to go. You can retire.' With him talking like a father and not a businessman, it really lets it sink in a little deeper than it would the other way.

read entire article...

10/22/12 4:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes vs Hardy. In the UK. In Nottingham. Dana, do it!
10/22/12 4:57 PM
Wovito

Geez, that's a pretty funny way of saying "clearly the fight game has evolved and passed me by."

Hughes was undoubtedly the man in his time, but if tries to fight any of the top five WWs today - he's in for a serious haping.
10/22/12 5:00 PM
joe canada
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

St. Pierre v Hughes II & 3: a clear example of breaking a fighter
10/22/12 5:07 PM
Ip Man 81

Tilla - Hughes vs Hardy. In the UK. In Nottingham. Dana, do it!
That should be his retirement fight. Phone Post
10/22/12 5:08 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

I still think he starches Hardy if that fight happens.

10/22/12 5:10 PM
guardbr8kr

no shame in retiring on your own terms.
10/22/12 5:26 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/22/12 5:26 PM

With Hughes, if he fights, it wouldn't be to make a run at the title anyway. There are still a lot of guys he can beat.

10/22/12 5:28 PM
Stu Cazzo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wovito - Geez, that's a pretty funny way of saying "clearly the fight game has evolved and passed me by."

Hughes was undoubtedly the man in his time, but if tries to fight any of the top five WWs today - he's in for a serious haping.

He's old.  It happens to all old fighters.

Thanks Captain Oblivious

10/22/12 5:29 PM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes vs. Hardy, please!
10/22/12 5:36 PM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for all the great fights.
10/22/12 5:38 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

and as I recall, he has looked pretty fucking good in most of his last 4 or 5 fights.

10/22/12 5:48 PM
Strykr619

Hughes in his prime would be a UFC Champ now, he is just old now ( in both age and in the MMA game). 

10/22/12 6:06 PM
white

I think people in the mma community really overuse the word evolution. MMA hasn't evolved beyond Hughes' skillset - if anything, his toolbox has expanded with age. Skillwise he is still close to the top ten, but he's slowed a bit. The guy is just older. How many guys in any weight division can compete with his submissions wrestling; it's a short list. Phone Post
10/22/12 6:07 PM
CWH
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/22/12 6:08 PM
Honestly, I agree.

He's got nothing to prove.

If it was me, I'd retire and continue raising my family.
10/22/12 6:34 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His comment about Dana gives The Baldfather a whole new meaning.
10/22/12 6:37 PM
Kings21
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - Hughes vs Hardy. In the UK. In Nottingham. Dana, do it!

No thanks. Its a waste of a fight for Hardy fighting a legend thats half retired.

IMO Hughes vs Serra would be a great final fight for both guys. I know Serra has been callin for it at Madison Square Garden but I think this should happen regardless of where. It'd be a good farewell.

Let Hardy fight a dude thats relevant in regards to the climb to the top of the division.
10/22/12 7:40 PM
wiggum
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes is an all-time great. Always brought it, fought any and everyone and pushed the sport forward.

If he doesn't want to compete anymore, he can rest knowing he has done it all.

And if the bug bites him again, welcome back.
10/22/12 7:59 PM
Stu Cazzo
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SaintVon Barksdale - My favorite fighter of all time.

+1

Love this guy...  He was cool every time I met him.  Scratch that - he was over the top cool...

10/22/12 7:59 PM
white

I wish a fight with Anderson Silva had materialized when his name was still thrown around with those type of fights. He might have actually won. Phone Post
10/22/12 8:02 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

K1 Hughes = GOAT!!!! Get this man on TRT

10/23/12 12:00 PM
StratTone
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Hughes decides to retire than he should. He has done everything but if he decides to stick around there really is only 2 fights I'd like to see him fight and that is Serra and Hardy.
10/23/12 12:03 PM
Nonlinear

He would still be wrecking shit if he were ten to fifteen years younger.

10/23/12 1:34 PM
Wovito

white -  I wish a fight with Anderson Silva had materialized when his name was still thrown around with those type of fights. He might have actually won. Phone Post

. . . not sure if serious.
10/23/12 1:52 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nonlinear -

He would still be wrecking shit if he were ten to fifteen years younger.

This.

His career has been underrated when people talk about the best ever. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.