UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Epic Thread of RARE OLD MARTIAL ARTS Videos!

10/23/12 1:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DangerZone
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fantttastic Phone Post
10/23/12 1:54 AM
Xspur
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great videos! It's a real pleasure to watch these. I am a big fan of history, and as a martial artist I really enjoy martial arts history. Great collection You have here sir.

As a long time martial artist i have witnessed the entire evolution of "MMA". I think what allot of MMA fans and post UFC practitioners don't really grasp is the difference between self defense and fighting. I was trained to only fight in the school, and to humble myself to avoid a fight at great lengths outside of it. Most of the TMA techniques are performed from a non assuming stance/position. Where the attacker will be caught off guard and finished quickly and decisively. Fighting in a "squared off" position should be reserved for training or sport.

I am a big fan of MMA, it's a sport and the athletes train within a specific rule criteria. But to often do I hear people dismiss TMA (or even more modern martial arts)
techniques as being "ineffective in a real fight". They may not understand, they weren't designed for a "fight". They were designed for self defense. Phone Post
10/23/12 1:58 AM
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for your post,

Regarding stances, I teach and train to fight from both leads being a switch fighter, in a prepared non-confrontational stance putting up a Fence, and also I train hands down casual reacting to whatever techniques are thrown from on side of you, behind etc.

I am working on getting my Combatives 2 pack done, but feel I should get a little more footage of role-playing scenarios and some real goes at guys in headgear though that is not too fun for them.

I've made a couple threads on the TMA forum you might want to check out.
10/23/12 1:58 AM
Tru
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click For MMA Videos

is this legal to upload all these videos to your youtube account and put commercials on them?  beca careful not to get your youtube account shut down by accident.

10/23/12 2:46 AM
Built Like A Fedor
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/23/12 4:07 AM
DanTheWolfman

Which Videos or techniques did you like the most?

Annotations are fine
10/23/12 5:13 AM
superiordanes
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/23/12 5:13 AM
okiebug
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should add some SAMBO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_UXpgOZ9eo&playnext=1&list=PLD86C2A6F4437BC89&feature=results_main
10/23/12 6:10 AM
DanTheWolfman

Thank you good Sir, great find! I had searched for "Old Sambo film" "Old Russian Martial Arts" and had not found this.

Come on, discuss techniques or methodology or ranges of combat people, I want this place to be like it was over 10 yrs ago :)

And I still have yet to post the best vids I found
10/23/12 6:12 AM
zora_d_1991
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Thanks Dan! Phone Post
10/23/12 6:21 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
10/23/12 6:38 AM
DanTheWolfman

How about an undefeated Russian Wrestler from 1912!
10/23/12 6:43 AM
SteveDav

Cool thread! Phone Post
10/23/12 6:52 AM
mclay
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/23/12 7:04 AM
DanTheWolfman

As I expected he sure looked like he did Catch Wrestling as well as seen doing this Ankle Crank Twist and he had a life time feud with one of the best real wrestlers and Catch Wrestlers in Stanislaus Zbyszko He Traveled the circus shows too Ivan Maximovich Poddubny also spelled Piddubny (Russian: ????? ?????????? ??????????; Ukrainian: ????? ?????????? ??????????; October 8, 1871 - August 8, 1949) was a Russian Empire and Soviet wrestler of Ukrainian Cossack descent.[1][1][2][3][4][5] He began his sports career around 1900 and his career lasted for about forty years.
Poddubny was born into a Zaporozhian Cossacks[1][2][3][4][5] family in the village of Krasenivka, Zolotonosha Uyezd, Poltava Governorate (now in Chornobay Raion of Cherkasy Oblast, Ukraine). As a young man, Poddubny worked as a fitter in the ports of Sevastopol and Feodosiya for seven years, and in 1898 he started traveling with circus tours.
In November 1939, he was given the title of Honored Artist of the RSFSR, and in 1945 that of Honored Master of Sports.
During the Nazi German occupation, he refused to leave the Soviet Union to train German wrestlers.[6]
Piddubny maintained a lifelong professional rivalry with wrestler Stanislaus Zbyszko. He died undefeated on August 8, 1949, in the town of Yeysk, in the Kuban region in Southern Russia.
10/23/12 7:15 AM
BLACK ROOSTER
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subway sangwidj Phone Post
10/23/12 7:19 AM
DanTheWolfman

Some Great Movie Wrestling in the film An episode from the Soviet movie called "Wrestler and Clown" (1958). Unfortunately I guess it has always been common for French Men to Oil Up :) While not Real footage, I thought you guys might like it for it's historic routes and showing what Carni Wrestling was like! Some Nice Guillotine to Counter Guillotine stuff just like I show in one of my vids! There is also a documentary on his life which is interesting, also has a former KGB guy talking about him in the doc that deciphered supposedly 5000 yr old Indian texts that teaches a rare Instinctive martial art Dharma. In the film above not sure if that awesome Film footage of the lateral drop came from this same TV show/Movie series?

A rivalry between Ukrainian wrestler (Ukraine was a part of Russian Empire back then) and French wrestler Raoul le Boucher from the early 20th century is the major line in the film.

The Frenchman is a "bad guy" in the movie - he oils up his body in the first match between the two and Poddubny claims that it is not a "fair game". In the re-match he finally beats Raoul.

The film describes the circus-wrestling culture which was very popular show in Russian Empire and in all of Europe in the early 20th century.
10/23/12 7:29 AM
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice thread. In actuality, most of the "jiu jitsu" vids are probably Judo. The terms Judo and Jiujitsu were used pretty interchangeably back then, but it was the kodokan that was sending guys around the world to teach and demo.

As a former TKD guy, I am also interested to watch that Oyama vid of him teaching Koreans. There actually was a meeting between him and Choi Hong Hi (from the ITF/Oh Do Kwan), and I alwasy thought it sucked that the ITF went the way it did with point sparring and sine-wave, rather than becoming a Korean Kyokushin.
10/23/12 7:33 AM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for later Phone Post
10/23/12 8:35 AM
Ocean6

DanTheWolfman - 
Glad you guys appreciate it, there is something for everyone. More Karate, Judo, AWESOME JUJITSU/CATCH, Vale TUDO GRACIES to come!!!!

READY FOR SOME KUNG FU FIGHTING EVERYONE? AKA THE GOOD,The BAD, and the UGLY!

A Muay Thai fighter of the same era would have ruined those guys
10/23/12 9:39 AM
DanTheWolfman

Anyone Want some Early Wrestling and Catch As Catch Can All In Wrestling? Cheers!
10/23/12 9:40 AM
DanTheWolfman

Real Catch
10/23/12 9:41 AM
DanTheWolfman

10/23/12 9:43 AM
DanTheWolfman

HW Boxing Champ Jack Johnson vs Wrestler in 1914!!!!

theory and experience that almost all kinds of fighting or combat sports usually get to the clinch as a very important range, usually in the Over Under
10/23/12 9:45 AM
DanTheWolfman

1930 Catch All In in London,
Now by this time many matches were works, but This looks damn real Shoot to me, or at least they went very stiff on each other, really pushing into each other, slam on the face etc, perhaps the loser didn't want to lose. I think it was his first of 2 Ever losses btw.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.