UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Riddle: 'I'm not smoking to get stoned'

10/22/12 10:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Riddle tapped Chris Clements at UFC 149 on July 21 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, winning an extra $65,000 "Submission of the Night" performance bonus.

Nearly 90 days after the fight, the Calgary Combative Sports Commission (CCSC) announced that Riddle had been suspended for a positive test for marijuana. However, the suspension was for 90 days, and expired shortly after the announcement, as it was applied retroactively.

Shortly thereafter, the CCSC announced that the bout result had been changed to No Contest.

During an interview on Monday's MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, Riddle discussed the situation.

As he tells it, he's not a stoner but an athlete trying to navigate his way through the tricky world of medical marijuana. Riddle, who claimed that he has been considered a candidate for the treatment since he was about 12 years old, said he went so far as to move to Nevada from Pennsylvania partially because the socially liberal western state has medicinal needs laws in place.

According to him, it was through that state's laws and its process that he obtained a medical marijuana license, and it was because of legitimate medical needs that he smoked the drug about 12 days before his UFC 149 fight.

"The thing is, I've quit 12 days out before and didn't have a problem. To be honest, this drug tester tested me right after the fight. I was super-dehydrated. My pee was brown. It was the pure essence of Matt Riddle. They got the concentrated Matt Riddle in a cup, and I popped."

"I do smoke but I'm not smoking to get stoned. I'm smoking so I can finally relax, sit back and just not worry about things. People, maybe they did it in college one way, but for a guy like me, for a professional athlete that goes through what we go through, it’s medicine for me. Maybe for some little stoner sitting on the couch playing XBox, for him, it's a drug. For me, it's medicine."

"It's not one of those California, Nick Diaz cards where you can go into a store, pay 50 bucks and walk out."

He said the drug makes him feel "normal," not tired, lethargic or stupid.

Riddle said he addressed the situation with Calgary commission reps, letting them know about his medical use and approval to use the drug before the test, but told them he expected to test clean since he had cut off his usage 12 days before the fight.

Read entire article...

10/22/12 10:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brock Lobster
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems legit Phone Post
10/22/12 10:43 PM
Easytarget
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think stoners use it to relax also. How stressed he feels is relative, lots of people have hard grinding lives, so I don't see his life as a pro athlete so tough that he needs special medicine.

BS law, but his rationale i cant get behind.
10/22/12 10:47 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoking not to get stoned, but to relax, sit back, and just not worry about things.

Matt, you just described being stoned perfectly.
10/22/12 10:48 PM
MantainPain
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget - I think stoners use it to relax also. How stressed he feels is relative, lots of people have hard grinding lives, so I don't see his life as a pro athlete so tough that he needs special medicine.

Yeah I fail to see how his use differs at all from anyone else's, medical or not.

Throw all the xbox comments you want in there, at the end of the day these kids aren't being professionally tested before they do they thing, YOU ARE, so to fail and then make this excuse about how it's somehow different for you just makes it look petty.
10/22/12 10:49 PM
The Overseer
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget - I think stoners use it to relax also. How stressed he feels is relative, lots of people have hard grinding lives, so I don't see his life as a pro athlete so tough that he needs special medicine.

When every fight you go into is determining whether or not you have a job, he might be a little more than just stressed. He might be psyched out, or have breakdowns. It could go beyond just stress. Phone Post
Jay Haas
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No lol Phone Post
Jay Haas
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's illegal period wether I support it or not!!! Phone Post
2JupitersTooMany
1775 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In B4 moral majority Phone Post
10/22/12 10:50 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1775 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit, too late. Slow reflexes on account of the medication. Phone Post
10/22/12 11:11 PM
32Hunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol.
10/22/12 11:12 PM
32Hunter

so there's audio and video of this interview? nice, this should be good.
10/22/12 11:17 PM
Ozzzz
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol. classic.
Also, if weed makes you sub a dude like Riddle did in his last fight, I mean, who doesn't want that shit legal??
And, this explains a lot about Matt's standup style, *cue facepunch.gif* Just like Diaz, the THC renders him impervious to pain...

I've been a fan for awhile, but this whole episode, and the win at 149 really solidifies it for me personally.
10/22/12 11:18 PM
westside
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read that and literally laughed out loud. Reminded me of Bill Clinten. "I did not inhale"

Matt you are smoking it because when you get stoned you are able to relax. Its cool man, we all do.
If your older than 25 that's the only reason people smoke IMO. Phone Post
10/22/12 11:21 PM
easedel

"It's not one of those California, Nick Diaz cards where you can go into a store, pay 50 bucks and walk out."

Thats fucking awesome. I like Riddle.
10/22/12 11:24 PM
AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riddle definitely gets nightmares from killing that dude with the beard on TUF. legit weed use IMO
10/22/12 11:30 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Gotta get a lil hiiiigh Phone Post
10/22/12 11:32 PM
rampageforpresident

He doesnt smoke to get stoned. He smokes to "finally relax, sit back and not worry about things." Dude, that's what "stoned" means! It's all good. Free country bitch.
10/22/12 11:34 PM
rampageforpresident

war riddle!
10/22/12 11:37 PM
5 Round Main Event

I don't smoke to get stoned either.

Let's just call that part a "happy accident".
10/22/12 11:38 PM
2JupitersTooMany

5 Round Main Event - I don't smoke to get stoned either.

Let's just call that part a "happy accident".
lol Phone Post
10/22/12 11:39 PM
GregNoActionJackson
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget to bring a towel Phone Post
10/22/12 11:40 PM
bruised
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge - Smoking not to get stoned, but to relax, sit back, and just not worry about things.

You sir win a VTFU award! Phone Post
10/22/12 11:42 PM
rezzz
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That doesn't say what he needs the ganja for except for relaxing?? Unless they is something else it sounds kinda weak. Phone Post
10/22/12 11:45 PM
ortman166

Chimonos Revenge - Smoking not to get stoned, but to relax, sit back, and just not worry about things.

This lol... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.