UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Looking 4Best Aikido Irimi methods againstPunches

10/23/12 5:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trying to sift through it, looking for those that can Enter or Irimi in off FAST punches. Found one video that Uke is laughable no intention half jabs etc. but the instruction was actually good.

Anyone want to help find any Aikido Vids that show some real skill vs actual intended punches and attacks?

I teach some different entering methods that some Aikido guys have liked online, so wondering similarities in philosophy etc.
10/24/12 2:42 PM
Munk

I would love to see this in a real competition setting.

I would also love to see the Lost City of Atlantis, a sasquatch riding pegasus and a viable Libertarian party...but I'm not holding my breath on any of 'em.
10/25/12 6:51 AM
DanTheWolfman

well this is one of 3 vids I really have on the subject
10/28/12 6:16 PM
Barry Soetoro Jr

Good stuff. I'm fascinated with Aikido and I think some of the aikido techniques can be modified for more realistic approach, just like what you're doing there.
10/29/12 6:38 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ueshiba: "Aikido is Irimi and atemi"
11/6/12 10:59 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 11:01 AM
I've not seen anyone that could pull off aikido irimi against punches when they didn't know exactly what was coming at them and when. I mean, punches are hard to block or evade, much less catch and manipulate. Most of the time I see people going fast, but you'll occasionally see the "defender" start moving before the punch is thrown because they know exactly what's coming before it's thrown. When the gloves come on and people start sparring, it makes it a lot different.

I've seen some people get some aikido and jiu-jitsu to work after crashing in and clinching with a redirection, IE, parry the punch to one side or cover and close. I've gotten one lock to work pretty often doing that. But not off of an actual punch. Most I see that work are more boxing defense to get inside and then go for the lock. Lol, i was told in my Aikido class that I wasn't using real aikido because I wasn't being graceful and fluid like O Sensei.

Edit: I like the vid btw.
11/6/12 8:00 PM
shen
632 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because it is based on sword mechanics, Aikido is DESIGNED for situations where the line of attack is long and committed (e.g. someone running at you with a direct attack) --Think bullfighting. You have to be able to read the line of attack and move your center to blend with it. Due to the limits of human reaction time, you simply can't due that against a jab. A jab really has none of the qualities an Aikido attack was designed to defend against. People may try to extrapolate an Aikido defense against a Jab or cross to make it more "practical", but Aikido was NOT designed for that. It's body mechanics are more suited to defending against a sword, spear or even bayonet thrust; a direct attack that starts from far away.

11/7/12 12:41 AM
DanTheWolfman

IDK a Thrust is a thrust, you just have to be better at reading movement, quicker perception, and have fast reaction speed. I have 2 other vids similar type stuff, I will post later if people want
11/7/12 1:47 AM
shen
632 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/07/12 1:56 AM

^ Let me be clear: I think what you are doing looks great!!!

I am definitely NOT "criticizing" what you are DOING, but just being annoyingly specific about the definition of what (physically) constitutes Aiki-do.

I'm not saying one can't "dodge stuff", what I am saying is that "Aiki" refers to a very SPECIFIC methodology of dodging stuff --Namely, melding with an attack, based on moving your center (your entire body) completely off the line of attack and reorienting so there is no opposition (e.g. facing the same direction as the attacker). That moment is "Aiki". This as opposed to boxing where you may bob & weave or slip or even step-off the line of attack, but you don't reorient yourself in relation to the opponent to the same extent.

If one does a "Bong Sau" or some other arm interception movement, that is not an "Aiki" movement either. --It may be very effective, but it isn't "Aiki", Aiki is very specific and very hard to do.

IMO, one would have to be ungodly fast to step-off the line of attack and apply true "aiki" to deal with a jab. I believe you certainly could find a way to apply Aikido techniques (e.g. wrist locks) but the way you get into them would not be by using "aiki".

Now, what you are doing is probably way BETTER than aiki (i.e. more practical), but if one doesn't use aiki to intercept the attack, I don't think strictly speaking it's "Aiki-do", it's simply jujutsu. That is the (perhaps pointless) distinction I am making, which I am quite sure no one gives a f@ck about.

:)
11/7/12 5:53 AM
DanTheWolfman

Actually, I found that a very interesting post, thank you. I don't care what it is called, all this outside the stuff box I do, etc, as long as it can work some of the time in certain circumstances etc.

Here is the other vids, you will find on my Combatives 2 pack when I finish it some day
11/7/12 5:54 AM
DanTheWolfman

the original type vid, you guys might like some of my loose defenses to jabs etc.
11/7/12 8:02 PM
shen

Cool. I like it.
12/19/12 10:04 PM
springy palm

also checkout Jason Delucia's Combat Aikido Videos.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.