UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach: Jones' striking to get Anderson Silva level

10/24/12 8:51 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Speaking to Sherdog Radio, Winkeljohn, one of "Bones'" trainers, says that even though the 25-year-old phenom was primarily a wrestler when he arrived at Jackson-Winkeljohn Mixed Martial Arts in Albuquerque, N.M., his evolution as a lethal striker is coming along just fine:

"Since he's come to camp, I'm real blessed that this young man listens and he went from being mostly a wrestler to now he's turning over to becoming a great striker in the division. He's almost there, he's almost to that Anderson Silva place where he is going to start getting those one punch and one kick knockouts. Just wait, you haven't seen anything yet."

read entire article...

10/24/12 8:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cue shitstorm of mockery, derision and team Jackson hate in 5... 4... 3... 2...

10/24/12 8:54 AM
Chisel Chest
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 Phone Post
10/24/12 8:56 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Almost there....almost. vague enough to not mock IMO. Phone Post
10/24/12 9:02 AM
Billyz
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plausible. I personally root against him, however there is no denying he is a phenom and getting better all the time. Anderson is a virtuoso of striking, foot work, timing and accuracy. He is the incredible and no one disputes it. However Jones keeps getting more and more confident and better and I can see how he will eventually get those one shot wins.
10/24/12 9:09 AM
disbeliever
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Anderson's striking isn't fantastic because of his "one punch or kick KO power" it's fantastic due to his insane level of accuracy and timing.

That only comes from experience. Maybe one day, when Jones is 37 he will be there, but no where near now IMO
10/24/12 9:10 AM
Joe Sons nuts

He uses his reach very well, which also grants him a lot of power in his punches, especially when it comes to ground and pound. But take that reach advantage away and you'd see that his striking level is nowhere near Anderson Silvas in terms of technique, accuracy, or even speed I'd say.
10/24/12 9:11 AM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/24/12 9:17 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reach is a massive advantage in striking if you have the skill to use it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5gok_gilbert-yvel-vs-semmy-schilt_shortfilms

If you had never heard of Semmy Schilt, would you believe he would win the K-1 GP multiple times based on this video?
10/24/12 9:19 AM
Kimbos Bread
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it that no matter what they're annoying Phone Post
10/24/12 9:36 AM
32Hunter

yeah, that beating he put on Rashad with those elbows was Anderson Silvaesque. just keep doing some more of that.
10/24/12 9:38 AM
SonnendbySilva
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Sons nuts - He uses his reach very well, which also grants him a lot of power in his punches, especially when it comes to ground and pound. But take that reach advantage away and you'd see that his striking level is nowhere near Anderson Silvas in terms of technique, accuracy, or even speed I'd say.
Exactly what I was thinking. He doesn't have the same footwork and head movement as silva. Phone Post
10/24/12 9:49 AM
HITMAN DAN DIAZ
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10,000 hrs imo min. anderson already has it he has been training striking since he was a very young child. non stop every day shadow boxing drilling drilling drilling. think jordan or kobe level of dedication to it. 

10/24/12 9:56 AM
ortman166

No, maybe at dominating smaller lhws, but if it was "Anderson silva like" he should be ko'ing hW's with ease considering his size reach and wrestling. He would get starched by jds reem Shane and more. Phone Post
10/24/12 10:00 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's already scary. He uses his reach extremely well.
10/24/12 10:13 AM
The Chronicle
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry but this is just nonsense.

As the poster stated earlier take away the reach and I believe he's average at best.

To reach Anderson's level is a extremely tall order, I think some of you really don't appreciate how good he his, hence the constant negativety aimed towards him. Phone Post
10/24/12 10:21 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, Jon is good and has great reach,
but Anderson is off the charts.

There's not another fighter in MMA that I can think of who is even in his arena when it comes to striking.

So, no. Coach is just trying to make some noise about his boy.
10/24/12 10:26 AM
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Anderson's striking isn't fantastic because of his "one punch or kick KO power" it's fantastic due to his insane level of accuracy and timing.

That only comes from experience. Maybe one day, when Jones is 37 he will be there, but no where near now IMO
Word Phone Post
10/24/12 10:35 AM
UGCTT_nightkap
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

Everytime I watch this clip I think 2 things:

1. That is The second best elbow I think ive seen in mma, (first being Silvas reverse elbow against Tony F.) Its crazy! It was thrown from most guys punching distance!

2. Think of how good he must be with it. Rashad is a quick man, fast reflexes...
And he got hit hard with it.

Oh, and LOL at him reaching Silvas striking ANYTIME SOON! Silva is far and away the best pure striker ive ever seen...
Bones has a loooong journey ahead of him to reach that level...
Plus, he will most likely be HW someday and wont have those same reach advantages. Phone Post
10/24/12 10:38 AM
Gin Tonic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people are naturally gifted with certain abilities and skills that make them superior than their peers.

There are fighters that have trained as long as Anderson Silva, and just as dedicated, but will never be as good.
10/24/12 10:42 AM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

his striking is pretty B level, if it wasn't for the threat of his ground and pound, most people would out strike him

Anderson Silva's striking is so good, he doesn't have to take anyone down.
10/24/12 10:46 AM
T Bag

Edited: 10/24/12 10:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. Jones is just a natural talent and the fastest developing MMA fighter ever. Watch his first UFC fight- he couldnt even throw a punch. He's only been training for 5 years now. You think Silva was as good as this after 5 years of training?
10/24/12 10:49 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

putting too much pressure on the kid imo

10/24/12 10:56 AM
Brian Rule
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is a better wrestler, and he does use his reach well, but overall his striking is nowhere near Anderson's.
10/24/12 12:30 PM
Leck Brosnar

hubris - his striking is pretty B level, if it wasn't for the threat of his ground and pound, most people would out strike him

Anderson Silva's striking is so good, he doesn't have to take anyone down.

B level, sure. That's why he's countering Machida's counter after what, 4-5 years of training? Let's see what Jones can do after 15+ years of training like Anderson.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.