UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cerrone: Does it make sense to wait for Pettis?

10/24/12 10:28 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone fought most recently in August, knocking out Melvin Guillard. Both before and after that fight, he was linked to a potential bout with Anthony Pettis, but "Showtime" has suffered a series of injuries, including shoulder surgery and now an infection.

Cerrone is worried a scheduled scheduled for late January may get delayed, and wants to fight, even if he has to move up a weight class.

"That's the No. 1 contendership, so of course that means something," Cerrone told MMAjunkie.com about the Pettis fight. "That's the ultimate goal to get that title, chase that dream. So it makes sense. Does waiting on him make sense? I don't know."

"It sucks. I need to get with my management team, and we need to figure out what's going on. Is Pettis going to be out longer? Do we need to look at somebody else? What is our plan of attack? I don't even know. If you're getting surgery on your elbow, how long are you going to be out for you. Are you going to be ready in January? Are you not?

"We were supposed to go for Denver. No. OK, we'll be ready in December. January. Now February? March? I understand the guy is hurt, but I've got bills to pay, too."

"I'm 180 pounds right now. For me to make 170 would be a cakewalk. I would definitely do it 100 percent. I would never say no to a fight. If Jon Jones calls, I'll fight him. That's my teammate. Leonard Garcia at 145, that's my brother, and I'd fight him. That's just my attitude toward this sport. You've got to get out there, and you've got to lay it all on the line. You've got to fight hard because that's what people want to see.

"At this point, they could call me tomorrow and say, 'Hey, man, we need you next week,' and I'll be game on."

Read entire article...

10/24/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChrisBJJ
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird that he is saying that, in all his interviews with Ariel I remember him saying he just wants to get paid and the title doesn't really matter.
10/24/12 10:31 AM
jtown2
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A fight with Evan Dunham doesn't make much sense by it would be fun to watch. Phone Post
10/24/12 10:39 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

since he has no opponent, Cerone should fight Melendez.

10/24/12 10:43 AM
jtown2
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

There you go. Perfect match up. Phone Post
10/24/12 10:46 AM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cerone is the man as usual...
10/24/12 10:47 AM
Bloody Pregnancy Fluids
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisBJJ - Weird that he is saying that, in all his interviews with Ariel I remember him saying he just wants to get paid and the title doesn't really matter.

Champions get paid more then contenders
10/24/12 12:55 PM
player101
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melendez v Cerone would be epic.
10/24/12 12:59 PM
PR Pretty Boy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

This!! Signed!!

10/24/12 1:12 PM
TheHebrewHammer
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

player101 - Melendez v Cerone would be epic.

VTFU!
10/24/12 1:25 PM
The Overseer
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for Melendez v Cerrone Phone Post
10/24/12 1:27 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
410 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Donald Cerrone represents everything that is right about MMA.

Does he want to get paid? Fuck yes.

Is he willing to take risky fights and put it on the line for bigger rewards? Fuck yes.

Is he looking to kick the other guy's ass when he steps in there? Yep.

Does he hate them or feel the need to cut phony pro wrestling promos to say that? Nope.

An honestly talented fighter who would fight once a month if allowed and he were paid to do so.

A fresh breath of air in an era full of phony showmen, guys fighting 2 times a year and fighters who expend more energy in their efforts to avoid fighting certain guys than they do in the cage against guys they actually fight.

Maybe you don't like Donald Cerrone.

But it's not because you don't respect him as a fighter or because you hate his gimmicky character.

He is who he is and at his core is really a fighter and in the end that proves to be far more entertaining to me and is more worth my PPV money than guys who are more entertainers than fighters. Phone Post
10/24/12 1:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cerrone would whoop Meldendez. I hope it happens Phone Post
10/24/12 1:35 PM
The Overseer
413 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke - Donald Cerrone represents everything that is right about MMA.

Does he want to get paid? Fuck yes.

Is he willing to take risky fights and put it on the line for bigger rewards? Fuck yes.

Is he looking to kick the other guy's ass when he steps in there? Yep.

Does he hate them or feel the need to cut phony pro wrestling promos to say that? Nope.

An honestly talented fighter who would fight once a month if allowed and he were paid to do so.

A fresh breath of air in an era full of phony showmen, guys fighting 2 times a year and fighters who expend more energy in their efforts to avoid fighting certain guys than they do in the cage against guys they actually fight.

Maybe you don't like Donald Cerrone.

But it's not because you don't respect him as a fighter or because you hate his gimmicky character.

He is who he is and at his core is really a fighter and in the end that proves to be far more entertaining to me and is more worth my PPV money than guys who are more entertainers than fighters. Phone Post
Somebody PLEASE give this guy a VTFU. Phone Post
10/24/12 1:48 PM
FixedPartialArts

From my understanding, nothing has changed vis a vis Pettis, after both the shoulder re-aggravation and elbow infection. The plan for a while I think was going to be to schedule their fight in January because December is booked for spots befitting of a Cerrone vs. contender match. So yes, he might as well wait to schedule another match in the meantime. But if he gets a late replacement opportunity in Dec. vs. Maynard, Lauzon, Bendo, Diaz or Nov. vs. RDA, Bocek, Stout; before Pettis can sign, then by all means he should jump at the opportunity. Then maybe he could still fight Pettis on schedule or soon afterward, otherwise be in as good as or better of a position and not need that fight.
10/24/12 2:11 PM
BzGrappla

ya cerrone would whoop melendez just like he whooped nate ... OH WAIT
10/24/12 10:26 PM
Jclover123

Cerrone vs. Josh Thomson would be a great fight. And don't talk shit about Thomson because anyone who saw the last fight against Melendez, knows that Josh won that fight. This matchup would be a great standup fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.