UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Florian can still taste the blood from Sherk fight

10/24/12 12:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Kenny Florian sat down with Jonathan Snowden in a wide-ranging interview, that covers his greatest moments in MMA, from the very beginning.

"It was kind of like my experience in The Ultimate Fighter when I didn't really realize how big it was," said Florian of his fight with Sean Sherk. "Which was kind of good for me. I just kind of fought my ass off. I knew I was outgunned against Sean Sherk. The guy had almost 40 fights to my, like, seven.

"Big, strong guy, lots of experience. But for me, I went in there to kill. And that's why I walked out with the samurai outfit. That was my feeling. I was going out there to die. Win or die. That's what I was prepared for. It was a great experience. Fighting for the championship, it was so early in my career...it was crazy. You don't pass up opportunities like that. I had to do it."

"(The blood) gave me motivation. The fans just went nuts. There was so much blood in the cage that night from him. Literally, it was the next day, and I had already taken two or three showers—the next day I still found blood in my ear, outside my ear. I found it inside, like rolled up in my eyelids.

"There was so much blood, I can't even tell you. It was ridiculous. I can still taste it to this day. Like liquid metal. It was nuts. And definitely it motivated me. And that was a war. That was a war. I remember peeing blood after that."

"When I went back I said, 'Here's the deal.' I was kind of dealing with some injuries. I could have done some other things differently. I didn't have a strength and conditioning coach. I could have been eating a little bit better year-round. I could have been training a little bit more. It was a kick in the ass for me and got me to train like a true professional. I was a professional fighter fighting. After that, I became a professional who fought... A professional athlete.

"And that's the way I approached it. It really paid off. Before every fight, I always worked harder and harder, and I was able to increase my capacity to train more and more...those losses provided so much fuel for me."

10/24/12 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4l8rflo

10/24/12 2:55 PM
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good interview.

A guy came into a 'bootcamp' type class at a fitness gym I'm a member at this week. He was wearing the 'One More Round' Kenny Florian walkout t-shirt.

Told me that Kenny declined after fighting Silva, etc.

He finished last in the 3K run which is the warm-up to the class, and was probably near last in the base workout.
10/24/12 3:07 PM
Trick or Truth
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent interview. Loved it!

10/24/12 3:11 PM
ric482

Kenflo always seems like a good dude. I think it was Joe Rogan who said that "he's one of those tough guys that doesn't look tough" and I'm inclined to agree.

Pretty inspirational guy for those of us who have to work harder than everyone else to get similar results in the gym Phone Post
10/24/12 3:22 PM
un3rgr0und

Kenny is a good interview, lots of energy
10/24/12 3:27 PM
dawley
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he reads this, you're missed Kenny. I remember the days of TUF 1 and not knowing what to expect happen. And on my all time top 5 favs is his dismantle of Kit Cope. God it was beautiful. And at the time, Cope was supposed to be the next real deal. TTT for K F Phone Post
10/24/12 4:01 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That "I'm a samurai" story is pretty funny haha.

10/24/12 4:01 PM
da Vinci 81
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was always a guy I rooted for in his fights. Too bad injuries took him out early. Phone Post
10/24/12 4:17 PM
Another Foob
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool interview. I wish KenFlo would fight again. I think he still has a lot to offer.
10/24/12 4:20 PM
Fedors Jim Jams

umm is he saying he can taste blood still? like that iron taste?

thats not good....
10/24/12 4:24 PM
Card
1991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/24/12 5:09 PM
greentrousers
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

poor kenny. i remember he said he wanted to be so famous people would stop ben stiller on the street confusing him with florian. i guess he never got to that level of fame.
10/24/12 5:15 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always respected what a well rounded Fighter he was.
10/24/12 5:59 PM
dawley
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - I always respected what a well rounded Fighter he was.
This. I really felt he was arguably top 3 most complete/well rounded fighters ever. Wrestling was considered his weakness an he was Dan good at that too. He was seriously skilled everywhere. Phone Post
10/24/12 6:20 PM
TheReflectionOfPerfection

Gave Aldo more problems than almost everyone else Phone Post
10/24/12 7:03 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Needs to start brushing his teeth. 

10/24/12 9:31 PM
Warriormmd
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheReflectionOfPerfection - Gave Aldo more problems than almost everyone else Phone Post
THIS! No one really ever thinks of this. Gave him a good fight and took him the distance Phone Post
10/24/12 10:02 PM
Haulport

Awesome fighter who started out slow and really put the work in to become world class.

I never enjoyed his fights though or his personality. Seems like a decent guy.

10/24/12 10:45 PM
DSCH
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fighter, doesn't get enough respect
10/24/12 11:06 PM
rampageforpresident

he could still beat guys at 155 or 45. why not a comeback?
10/24/12 11:10 PM
mrgoodarmbar
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is everybody "always was a fan"...He was from my bjj school. I remember everyone hating on him for looking like ben stiller and accusing him of throwing elbows "just to cut". Nobody seemed to appreciate that he had to fight at 185 for the show. Ah whatever. He's won you all over in the end. Nobody but BJ has ever fought so out of his proper weight class.

He def gave Aldo a good fight and despite dropping to that weight class, Aldo was bigger and stronger. I'm surprised Aldo hasn't had to move up yet.
10/24/12 11:44 PM
Kings21
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrgoodarmbar - How is everybody "always was a fan"...He was from my bjj school. I remember everyone hating on him for looking like ben stiller and accusing him of throwing elbows "just to cut". Nobody seemed to appreciate that he had to fight at 185 for the show. Ah whatever. He's won you all over in the end. Nobody but BJ has ever fought so out of his proper weight class.

He def gave Aldo a good fight and despite dropping to that weight class, Aldo was bigger and stronger. I'm surprised Aldo hasn't had to move up yet.

Those are some large generalizations you're throwing around. The thread is only one page long so I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread does not equal everyone that has commented on him in the past. Personally, I've always enjoyed watching him fight and consider myself a fan of his. But he does look like Ben Stiller and its hard not to think he throws elbows to cut. He's awfully good at cutting with his elbows. That doesnt mean (for me) that its a bad or cheap tactic. If you're hoping for a stoppage sure but cuts provide other advantages too.

It probably seemed like nobody appreciated him fighting well above his weight class because you're too busy focusing on the negative comments. Hell this thread is damn near 100% appreciation and you come in being negative. Throughout his career people have always commented on him fighting well above his natural weight class and praising him for it. Stop trying to find things wrong with the masses and maybe you'll begin to see some positive output from the fans here.
10/24/12 11:57 PM
KZTT_W85
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forpc Phone Post
10/25/12 2:16 AM
Brian J DSouza

Kenny declined what?

Declined as a fighter. The guy didn't say if Kenny fought UFC-era Anderson or PRIDE-era Wanderlei, but it's easy to understand what he was talking about.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.