UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Looking for good place for beginner in West LA

10/24/12 4:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am looking at Gracie Barra in Santa Monica, Dynamix in West LA, or Rigan Machado at the Acadamy Beverly Hills. I'd like a month to month place. Gracie Barra is contract, I think Dynamix is month to month and I haven't heard back from the Acadamy Beverly Hills yet.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you.
10/24/12 4:38 PM
PTM2020
1101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out Streetsports.

http://streetsportsbjj.com/Street_Sports_Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu/Home.html

Quality training all around

10/24/12 4:41 PM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take a class at each. No forum can give you the answer. Anyone that doesn't offer a free week or at least a free class probably isn't worth it. Just be up front with the instructor on what your doing. Phone Post
10/24/12 5:43 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for the replies. I was also thinking about streetsport. Do you know if they are month to month?

I tried one class at Gracie Barra and was trying to take one at Dynamix, but no answer at phone no.
10/24/12 6:13 PM
shen
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/12 6:27 PM

Where specifically in West LA? Because there are a lot more schools on the west-side than you probably realize.

-Forum Member Wu tang has a school on Wilshire

-My teacher has a school on Venice near La Cienega

-There is also Werdum on Lincoln

-Gerson Sanginitto, John Machdo, Kron Gracie in Culver City

Plus several others too.
10/24/12 6:35 PM
TheRaider

shen - 

Where specifically in West LA? Because there are a lot more schools on the west-side than you probably realize.

-Forum Member Wu tang has a school on Wilshire

-My teacher has a school on Venice near La Cienega

-There is also Werdum on Lincoln

-Gerson Sanginitto, John Machdo, Kron Gracie in Culver City

Plus several others too.

Santa Monica. I am near Lincoln, didn't know about Werdum.
10/24/12 7:06 PM
Eel
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had nothing but good experiences training with Henry Akins at Dynamix. Although I preferred the 7th and Wilshire location. :/ Phone Post
10/24/12 7:18 PM
TheRaider

Eel -  I've had nothing but good experiences training with Henry Akins at Dynamix. Although I preferred the 7th and Wilshire location. :/ Phone Post

Yea, that is where I first saw it. Can you tell me how much it costs per month ? Or is that against the rules ?
10/24/12 7:20 PM
King Willy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rey Diogo (Carlson Gracie Team) in Marina Del Rey. Great guy, used to train with him. Don't know if has contracts or not.
10/24/12 9:04 PM
TheRaider

King Willy - Rey Diogo (Carlson Gracie Team) in Marina Del Rey. Great guy, used to train with him. Don't know if has contracts or not.

Thanks. I'll look in to that school too.
10/24/12 9:55 PM
bjh13
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheRaider - I am looking at Gracie Barra in Santa Monica, Dynamix in West LA, or Rigan Machado at the Acadamy Beverly Hills. I'd like a month to month place. Gracie Barra is contract, I think Dynamix is month to month and I haven't heard back from the Acadamy Beverly Hills yet.

Thank you.

If by Academy in Beverly Hills you mean Gracie Academy, don't bother. It's $135 a month for once a week, year long contract. I love the Gracie Academy (I train at the Torrance location and it's fantastic) but it's pretty expensive at that site. Granted, you will get classes of 3-4 people and a lot of personal attention from Ryron, but it's a bit out of my league.

Most schools in LA will run you $160-180 a month, though the really competition focused schools like Cobrinha can run you as much as $200. That is the price for the year long contract, most schools will charge a lot more for an option with no contract. There is too much competition in the area, a contract is pretty much expected. I'm not aware of any schools in the Greater Los Angeles area that don't either require one or charge an extra $80+ to not have one.

I personally don't have a recommendation as I haven't visited any of the schools in the area aside from the Gracie Academy in Beverly Hills, but make sure you take a free class at a few locations before you pick somewhere out.
10/24/12 10:03 PM
TheRaider

bjh13 - 
TheRaider - I am looking at Gracie Barra in Santa Monica, Dynamix in West LA, or Rigan Machado at the Acadamy Beverly Hills. I'd like a month to month place. Gracie Barra is contract, I think Dynamix is month to month and I haven't heard back from the Acadamy Beverly Hills yet.

Thank you.

If by Academy in Beverly Hills you mean Gracie Academy, don't bother. It's $135 a month for once a week, year long contract. I love the Gracie Academy (I train at the Torrance location and it's fantastic) but it's pretty expensive at that site. Granted, you will get classes of 3-4 people and a lot of personal attention from Ryron, but it's a bit out of my league.

Most schools in LA will run you $160-180 a month, though the really competition focused schools like Cobrinha can run you as much as $200. That is the price for the year long contract, most schools will charge a lot more for an option with no contract. There is too much competition in the area, a contract is pretty much expected. I'm not aware of any schools in the Greater Los Angeles area that don't either require one or charge an extra $80+ to not have one.

I personally don't have a recommendation as I haven't visited any of the schools in the area aside from the Gracie Academy in Beverly Hills, but make sure you take a free class at a few locations before you pick somewhere out.

The Acadamy Beverly Hills is a Systema place that recently got Rigan Machado as their BJJ instructor. They have Systema and BJJ classes and like 2 mma classes per week. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Sounds like a lot of places will be out of my s price range. I was hoping for 100-125 a month.
10/24/12 10:31 PM
Tycinio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely go to Henry Akins at Dynamix. He's one of the very few Rickson Gracie Black Belts around, and was the main instructor at Rickson's main academy for years. One of the guys most responsible for training Kron when Rickson was living in Brazil.

You also have Antoni Hardonk, who is a K1 and UFC vet teaching striking and mma. Not sure of prices as I travel from overseas to train with Henry. But put it this way, because I travel anyway, I could choose to train anywhere in the world, and I go to Henry.

http://dynamixmartialarts.com/about/instructors/

Hope that helps,
Cheers, Ty.
10/24/12 11:20 PM
TV
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't go wrong with Rey Diogo. Carlson Gracie lineage. My coach speaks very highly of Rey. Phone Post
10/25/12 1:01 AM
SpeedKing9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rey Diogo is closer to Culver City. He has no contracts. If you train in the mornings, look for a blue belt named Alex. I will definitely help you drill and get you familiar. I was in your shoes not too long ago, I remember how intimidating it can be to walk into a school.

I also live off of Lincoln in the Santa Monica/Venice border and it's worth the little extra drive to get to Rey's.

He's out of town until November, but there's always a black or brown belt teaching in the mean time. Definitely a place to consider when you check out all the schools.
10/25/12 1:07 AM
TheRaider

SpeedKing9 - Rey Diogo is closer to Culver City. He has no contracts. If you train in the mornings, look for a blue belt named Alex. I will definitely help you drill and get you familiar. I was in your shoes not too long ago, I remember how intimidating it can be to walk into a school.

I also live off of Lincoln in the Santa Monica/Venice border and it's worth the little extra drive to get to Rey's.

He's out of town until November, but there's always a black or brown belt teaching in the mean time. Definitely a place to consider when you check out all the schools.
Thanks. I will come by there for a trial soon. Sounds like the best thing is to give them all a try. I like the no contract deal since I don't know how my finances will be in a few months. I'm gonna try Dynamix soon too. Phone Post
10/25/12 1:31 AM
shen
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train with Rey too, but check them ALL out --they're ALL good schools, each a little different. The trick is to find the school that appeals to YOU.

You can't go too wrong around here.

You're lucky to live somewhere where you have so many choices!

10/25/12 3:48 AM
skilgannon

Beverly Hills JJ is excellent, old school basics at a high level with the instructor understanding many aspects of modern competition too.

http://www.bhjjc.com/

Werdum's is another excellent school I would go to as I have been to both of the above schools numerous times and loved it there.

I have never been to Kron's but would like to

I have been to Xande's and he is an excellent instructor but he isn't really on the west side

Same goes for Cobrinha. You can do well at Cobrinha's if you are a beginner but there are lots of more experienced guys there training hard for comps

Go and visit around and stay at where you like best. LA has so much high quality BJJ it is ridiculous
10/25/12 6:02 PM
Wutang
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come check out The Brenwood Club - we're on Wilshire just east of Bundy. I teach Wed/Fris. Cindy Omatsu teaches Mon/Tues and Jeff Martin teaches the MMA class on Thursday.

http://thebrentwoodclub.com/

I'll even list a few more choices for you.

Robot Fight &Fitness
http://robotfightfitness.com/

Right around the block from Werdum's is the Inosanto Academy. They are a JJ Machado affiliate.
http://inosanto.com/?page_id=69

There's a Gracie Barra on 4th and Wilshire

Definitely checkout ALL of the schools to see:

1. atmosphere of the school
2. teaching style
3. distance from your home (commute time)
4. how does it fit your schedule
5. price
10/25/12 10:49 PM
ultimatestreetfighter

have you seen the prices at rigan's? 200 bucks for only twice a month!
10/25/12 11:04 PM
raleigh

don't be scared to head south (reys or even further). I think you won't be going with traffic
10/26/12 2:33 AM
TheRaider

Wutang - Come check out The Brenwood Club - we're on Wilshire just east of Bundy. I teach Wed/Fris. Cindy Omatsu teaches Mon/Tues and Jeff Martin teaches the MMA class on Thursday.

http://thebrentwoodclub.com/

I'll even list a few more choices for you.

Robot Fight &Fitness
http://robotfightfitness.com/

Right around the block from Werdum's is the Inosanto Academy. They are a JJ Machado affiliate.
http://inosanto.com/?page_id=69

There's a Gracie Barra on 4th and Wilshire

Definitely checkout ALL of the schools to see:

1. atmosphere of the school
2. teaching style
3. distance from your home (commute time)
4. how does it fit your schedule
5. price

Thanks, I'll come by and check it out. I've tried Gracie on 4th street so far and it was cool, might be out of my price range though and 12 month contract.

I am gonna take everyones advise and give them all a try.

My abs where sore the next day since I'm pretty out of shape.

It would also be a big plus if there is a waiting area where I can park my mother, since I am her caregiver and would be easier than finding someone to look after her while I train.
10/26/12 4:38 AM
Barry Soetoro Jr

Good thread.
10/26/12 9:41 PM
DennisinRio
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renato Magno / StreetSports , John Machado, Gerson all great professors and good for beginners!

10/27/12 2:22 AM
one eye wonder
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU wu tang for giving the guy info even when he has his own place.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.