UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cerrone: UFC extreme-sports restrictions 'suck'

10/24/12 5:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The Professional Bull Riders tour finals hit Las Vegas this week, giving Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone an opportuntity to discuss the UFC prohibition on unsafe activities.

"That would be some serious s---," he said. "It's the opportunity of a lifetime to get on one of those bulls. The answer is 100% no, I'm sure, but it doesn't hurt to ask, you know?"

The answer was already no, in fact. Cerrone's request hadn't hung in the air for more than a second before a chorus of PR officials from the tour and UFC shot it down. "Bad idea," they said, in so many words.

"I think we should be able to live our life how we want to live it," responded Cerrone. "On their side (it's), 'We have a fight scheduled.' And I understand that we shouldn't be doing those things because we obligate ourselves to fighting and we've got to show up on the day that we're going to be there."

Read entire article...

10/24/12 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_painbringer - 

i like this rule

the ufc puts tons of money into promoting a fight and some knucklehead goes out and injures himself. not only will the ufc lose(in terms of money because of all the promoting of the fight) but the fans lose out too

I'm more surprised they haven't already had one
10/24/12 5:12 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It SHOULD be only during the times that they have a signed fight contract.

They are independant contractors and some go a YEAR(or more) before the UFC calls on them to fight.

10/24/12 5:14 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_painbringer - 

i like this rule

the ufc puts tons of money into promoting a fight and some knucklehead goes out and injures himself. not only will the ufc lose(in terms of money because of all the promoting of the fight) but the fans lose out too

And the fighter loses too, because if you cant fight, you cant make money.
10/24/12 5:28 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

They are independant contractors and some go a YEAR(or more) before the UFC calls on them to fight.

IIRC, that is the case. 

Fighters are free to do whatever the fuck they want when they don't have a fight scheduled.  It's only after they accept a fight that the restrictions kick in.

10/24/12 5:31 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Steve4192 - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

IIRC, that is the case. 

Fighters are free to do whatever the fuck they want when they don't have a fight scheduled.  It's only after they accept a fight that the restrictions kick in.

Oh well then that makes total sense...

10/24/12 5:42 PM
MahatmaPetey
395 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in favor of the rule.
10/24/12 5:47 PM
ajsr
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure about North American sports, but I know that all major football players in Europe have similar clauses in their contracts prohibiting them from participating in high-risk sports and recreational activities.
10/24/12 5:53 PM
UGCTT_Winnson
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't like fighters being bossed around so much.

You choose the fighter lifestyle because you do what you want and don't get bossed around.

Real fighters don't get bossed around and eat real chocolate.

That's all I'm saying.

Zuffa, stop it from happening!  Pretty please!

10/24/12 6:03 PM
Mdson
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they have a "no motorcycling before a fight" rule? If not, add that to the list.
10/24/12 6:05 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like how they give the tuf winner a harley

and then in his contract it says he cant ride it

10/24/12 6:06 PM
osiriss
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajsr - I'm not sure about North American sports, but I know that all major football players in Europe have similar clauses in their contracts prohibiting them from participating in high-risk sports and recreational activities.
This is a standard clause for every professional athlete in all the major sports (football, basketball, hockey, baseball) Phone Post
10/24/12 6:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajsr - I'm not sure about North American sports, but I know that all major football players in Europe have similar clauses in their contracts prohibiting them from participating in high-risk sports and recreational activities.
Yes American sports have it. Aaron Boone hit the famous walkoff home run with the Yankees to beat the Red Sox in the playoffs in 2003. He was cut a few months later because he tore a ligament in his knee playing basketball Phone Post
10/24/12 6:12 PM
UGCTT_Winnson
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayhem did have a point.

10/24/12 6:25 PM
Ktaco
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

IIRC, that is the case. 

I don't recall reading that it was only when the fighters had a scheduled bout. I thought it applied year round. I hope it is the case that they can do whatever they want outside of a scheduled fight.
10/24/12 6:38 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 
Steve4192 - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

IIRC, that is the case. 

Oh well then that makes total sense...

Agreed.  

10/24/12 6:57 PM
TheRaider
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't he say the same thing one month ago ?
10/24/12 7:39 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Sounds like there is confusion....we need to know the reality.

Is it only when a bout aggreement is signed, or year round?

I will start a thread and ask the BaldFather

10/24/12 7:50 PM
Alpha World Peace

Say a big thank you to Jose Aldo, Donald! Phone Post
10/24/12 8:07 PM
JasonSB

Man that sucks, but like someone already mentioned this is a common practice in pro sports. I think a fighters union is approaching in the not to distant future. If you're gonna dictate this much a persons life they are gonna want to be greatly compensated.(talking %s of income like w/ other sports). Really hate it for Cowboy.Seemed like his main reason for fighting pro is for the lump sum pay and free time, which together allowed him to partake in exciting (now banned)outdoor activities.
10/24/12 9:49 PM
FUEL TV

The Most UFC On TV, fuel.tv/getfueltv
There's this cable TV network out there that may be encouraging Cowboy... Phone Post
10/24/12 10:07 PM
Kirik
2024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter

:-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.