UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 5/3/1 + Tough Mudder Training

10/24/12 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Arglebargle
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been doing 5/3/1 for a few months now. Decided to do a Tough Mudder in April. Is the training suggested on the TM website a good fit for the race? Can I just run and continue my 5/3/1? Do the TM training plus my 5/3/1 but cut back on assistance work?

Advice?
10/24/12 6:23 PM
TheKidAintMine
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The TM obstacles are a novelty and don't require very much strength at all. If you can manage 10 push ups and a few chin ups, you're ready for the obstacles.

The trail running is what makes TM challenging. Just do lots of running. If you've been doing 5/3/1 for months, you've already got the strength component covered.
10/24/12 6:35 PM
Arglebargle
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheKidAintMine - The TM obstacles are a novelty and don't require very much strength at all. If you can manage 10 push ups and a few chin ups, you're ready for the obstacles.

The trail running is what makes TM challenging. Just do lots of running. If you've been doing 5/3/1 for months, you've already got the strength component covered.

Any advice for those of us who have only run long distances because they were being punished for something? The farthest I've ever run is a 5k and that was during the Mud Ninja--i.e. broken up by obstacles.
10/24/12 6:48 PM
TheKidAintMine
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As long as you can run 3k or so non-stop, you should be good. If I were you, I'd focus my training on being able to run that distance comfortably. Google training regimens for 5k races. Depending on the locale of your TM, you might want to do some hills and trail running.

The obstacles are generally 1-2 miles apart and there's usually a line-up so you will have time to rest and recover.
10/24/12 6:55 PM
slayer806
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just ran the Tri State Tough Mudder last weekend so here are a few thoughts.

I was a sprinter in high school and college and I shit you not, I may have run a mile 3 times in my life at most. 20 days out I started doing the couch to 5k program to condition my feet/knees. I was able to run just under 8 miles during the Mudder and had to walk the last 4. If I was to ever run another, I would give myself 3 months or so to get into better running shape.

In all honesty, I didn't think it was all that bad. The obstacles don't require much if any strength at all. Just attack the day like a ballistic fucking animal and you should be fine. There where plenty of sorry ass looking out of shape people who all finished just fine.

Not sure if that helps any. Phone Post
10/24/12 8:06 PM
imkeithhernandez
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ran it too...ive done 2...ama Phone Post
10/25/12 2:52 AM
Arglebargle

slayer806 -  Just ran the Tri State Tough Mudder last weekend so here are a few thoughts.

I was a sprinter in high school and college and I shit you not, I may have run a mile 3 times in my life at most. 20 days out I started doing the couch to 5k program to condition my feet/knees. I was able to run just under 8 miles during the Mudder and had to walk the last 4. If I was to ever run another, I would give myself 3 months or so to get into better running shape.

In all honesty, I didn't think it was all that bad. The obstacles don't require much if any strength at all. Just attack the day like a ballistic fucking animal and you should be fine. There where plenty of sorry ass looking out of shape people who all finished just fine.

Not sure if that helps any. Phone Post

Are there couch to tough mudder programs available? Im not worried about the obstacles. I did a 5k 21 obstacle course in August. I've always lifted but like you, my running distance is limited to 3 miles or less. Really I'm more concerned with increasing my cardio to the necessary level without losing the gains I've made in 5/3/1.

Imkeithhernandez, please describe the exact clothing you wore, why you wore it, and what you would change.
10/25/12 4:04 AM
Leigh
622 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep your speed/intensity down in training and put in the mileage Phone Post
10/25/12 12:25 PM
imkeithhernandez
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok..1st..follow leighs advice and get in your roadwork...i cut out lifting when i do them and stick to bodyweight exercise but thats my style...as far as clothing...depends on the venue and time of year....lets say its cold for now...i wear under armour cold gear pants..my running shoes were Nike Frees...youll need good gloves..mix of warmth but solid palm grips...socks..try to go waterproof or something that drys quick...shirt..i went shirtless bc it was an additional 5 lbs after the first water obstacle...but again under armour or some similar style Phone Post
10/25/12 12:28 PM
imkeithhernandez

April isnt specific enough..as yours said..so I cant give 100% exactitude..obviously April in Texas is different from April in Vermont Phone Post
10/25/12 1:29 PM
OiKing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't cut back on assistance work for 5/3/1. It is already a fairly easy program to follow.
10/25/12 3:53 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arglebargle - Ive been doing 5/3/1 for a few months now. Decided to do a Tough Mudder in April. Is the training suggested on the TM website a good fit for the race? Can I just run and continue my 5/3/1? Do the TM training plus my 5/3/1 but cut back on assistance work?

Advice?

I've done a number of Mudders and Mudder-style races ranging from 5k - 24 hour/50+ mile affairs. Just run. It's pretty simple. You'll see girls that probably can't do a single pull-up blow past you simply because they are faster runners. Think about it. A Mudder is 10'ish miles with 25 obstacles. Even if each obstacle was 40 yards long (which it isn't by a long shot), that'd mean it's still 9.5 miles out of 10 of straight up running. The better runner you are, the better you do.

Depending on the location, you'll want to get good at running hills/mountains. I always recommend "Run Faster from 5k to Marathon" by Bran Hudson as a good book to learn how to put a running program together. Brad Hudson outlines his Dynamic Running system in it which he has used to train many world-class runners.

Toy around with the running and 5/3/1. I did 5/3/1 for quite a bit while I was running, but I had to cut down my weight training days. My legs just couldn't recover quick enough with the running volume and the heavy lifting. I always made sure I did lower body work early in the week coming off a total rest day.
10/25/12 6:37 PM
Arglebargle

Im going to run three miles tomorrow. we'll give it a bit to see how it works with my lifting. I'll probably just cut bqck on some of the assistance exercises. Thanks for the tips.
10/26/12 6:37 AM
LordSeano
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Practise running off road - the thing that really destroyed my legs/knees was running on uneven muddy surfaces with no traction on slopes
10/26/12 7:56 AM
imkeithhernandez

^ While agree with the above..dont run off road too much..bc like he said it destroys your quads and calves..you want to keep those fresh...just get your lungs prepared and deal with the majority the day of race..you cant really simulate running in muddy conditions like that until your there Phone Post
10/28/12 6:24 PM
poopstripe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have only done one tough mudder, but if I was to do it again, I would definately run alot more for training...and would run uphill a lot more too
10/28/12 7:59 PM
molsonman
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

West Side for Skinny bastards is a good program.
10/28/12 8:48 PM
HUMBLED1
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Run long distances and add a mile every time you do distance work,so as not too wreck yourself. Try to get past 12 miles in one shot. Run one long distance run a week, then a couple speed runs of 2 - 4 miles,which means do short mileage as fast as you can! Look up "miles make champions!"

Take a week for some sand work,if available. That's punishing! Sprints in the sand on a beach or in a wash!

You can up the anty with a weighted vest also during run. Mix in plyometrics and your golden! I use weighted vest for pullups,situps,squats and pushups. I run like crazy and have gotten more ripped with lean functional muscle.

10/29/12 3:43 AM
LordSeano
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disagree that you need to run 12 miles in practice.

I did not more than 6 milers in training and was fine for a 12 mile mudder

It's a very different style of running so even though you will be running a lot you get a lot of breaks and you will be running slowly, looking at the floor for foot placement a lot if you are not used to the trail running part Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.