UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Worlds Toughest Mudder

10/24/12 8:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
imkeithhernandez
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I qualified for Worlds Toughest Mudder..anyone on here do it?...Is it worth it? Phone Post
10/24/12 8:33 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Show off

:)
10/24/12 9:06 PM
imkeithhernandez
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha thanks..im nervous to sign up..they want to wear a wetsuit and have triathlon shoes..I dont own that shit.lol Phone Post
10/24/12 9:26 PM
autotech
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul from adventurerun.net ran it last year . You will need a wetsuit last year the cold was brutal and people were dropping out before making a single lap.
10/25/12 4:03 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah. The cold was INTENSE. I went into it thinking I'd use my wetsuit only during the major water obstacles. They had a wetsuit changing tent before them and everything. That first lap without a wetsuit was a different form of misery. The second I put it on I thought, "Fuck ever taking this thing off." Everybody that has done a Mudder knows what the cold is like, and over 300 of the 700 Mudder veterans that started did not make a single lap due to the cold. People dropping into convulsions right next to you on the track. It's on a total other level.

That said, my first Mudder was at the Englishtown track later in November that WTM is this year. It shouldn't be nearly as bad since last year was December 17th. The air temp was in the 20's and 30's and the water temp was in the 30's. Hell the top of the water froze at night, so you had to bust through a thin layer of ice. It'll probably be toasty by comparison in November, but it will get damn cold during the night. It's a fun mental game at least. Since WTM, I can take major cold extremes now. Those polar plunges that people do on New Years don't even phase me in the slightest.

You won't regret doing it, but you might regret not doing it. ;)

Paul
http://AdventureRun.Net
10/25/12 4:36 PM
imkeithhernandez

Thanks Paul..I think im in..getting money together now Phone Post
10/25/12 9:36 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome. I was in the same place last year. I figured I'd regret it if I didn't do it. I was a complete noob at ultra distance stuff, and I made a ton of preparation/logistical mistakes, but I learned so much. Now things that are under 15 miles or take less than 12 hours seem short.

I'd be happy to share anything I learned. I'm by no means an expert.
10/25/12 9:40 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have four friends that are signed op for this. Any tips I could pass along to them would be greatly appreciatted.

10/25/12 10:50 PM
Adventure Runner

It'd be easier if they have specific questions. I can drone on and on in an endless FRAT otherwise. :)
10/26/12 8:00 AM
imkeithhernandez

In for FRAT..lol..but Adventure Runner..i just started 2 a day workouts...morning and night mileage..what was your race prep like?.. how many miles a day?....i did about a 5k plus rings and monkey bard at park before breakfast to simulate running hungry and ill prolly get another 8 or so in 2n Phone Post
10/26/12 1:03 PM
Adventure Runner

Physically, I trained like a marathon runner. I'd do strength in the mornings and then runs of up to 8 miles (and as little as 4 miles) in the afternoons throughout the week. Saturday was my "long day". I followed Brad Hudson's marathon prep program. My physical prep was fine. I pulled out due to a freak foot injury only 2 laps in, which I think was due to my idiot move of using shoes I had barely even used for my first lap. That is where my prep was really lacking. I failed to realize the importance of being intimately familiar with your gear. I didn't take every pair of shoes I used into the field for serious testing. I didn't take my wetsuit out on long runs. I did some overnight runs, but I didn't repeatedly submerge myself in water to see how my body would react to those conditions with the gear I was planning to use. I prepared like crazy physically, but I winged it logistically, and that bit me in the ass.

It's hard to say exactly how you should prepare without knowing your past routine and with the fact you only have 4 weeks. Really 3 weeks when you include a taper week. I wouldn't go too crazy and hurt yourself. Perhaps just use the next three weekends to get in a few long trail runs including one that lasts overnight say from 11pm to 4am. Get wet. Get miserable. Get cold. See how you respond and what your gear is like. This is more mental preparation, so you have experiences to draw from when things get bad.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.