UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: 60-80 million people watch UFC in Brazil

10/24/12 11:04 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When we do fights in Brazil, 60 (million) to 80 million people watch," White said. "And there's only 200 million people in the country."

The numbers have varied, depending on the reports – many of which go with a number of households and not a number of people. But even if White's numbers err on the high side, his point, essentially, is that Brazilian fans are passionate about the sport, and the UFC is returning the love.

The UFC is averaging a pay-per-view in Brazil every three and a half months since returning. UFC 134 took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The company returned for UFC 142 this past January. In June, UFC 147 was in Belo Horizonte. And earlier this month, UFC 153 was back in Rio.

"It is so red-hot in Brazil," White said. "When we go down there, the fans are so loud and chanting for their guys. They go crazy for their guys. It's just unbelievable. I know there's a lot of UFC fans in Vegas, (but) if they ever get the opportunity to go to a fight down in Brazil, believe me when I tell you, you've got to do it. It's a unique experience."

read entire article...

10/24/12 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SinCityHustler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just in Brasil a few days ago.  White's correct, the fans there are crazy for the sport.  I don't know about his numbers but in terms of fan base and them being passionate about MMA, he's absolutely correct

10/24/12 11:13 PM
rampageforpresident

Brasil shows are better anyway. Way better atmosphere in that bitch
10/24/12 11:16 PM
MMALOGIC

it's a mainstream sport down there... he's a bit liberal on his numbers though... he's probably assuming a ton of people per television set.

the anderson fight pulled a 53% share... meaning out of all the running tv's that more than half were watching the fight.  The only thing comparable in america is the superbowl.

Zuffa is getting a back door into all the major blue chip sponsors thanks to Brazil.  Those companies are rushing to dominate these emerging markets like brazil.  Zuffa is gonna leverage those relationships to bring them to the table in other markets like the US.

10/24/12 11:21 PM
Stu Cazzo

Damn....a 53% share?

That's sick.

10/25/12 1:02 AM
bruised
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's amazing - I'm sure we'll see more and more Brazilian competitors out of Brazil due to the sport's rapid expansion. Phone Post
10/25/12 1:07 AM
stevia's sex slave
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The more Brazil cards the better. Phone Post
10/25/12 1:12 AM
inf0
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, too bad only 5k of those would probably pay for it

10/25/12 1:13 AM
inf0
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bruised -  That's amazing - I'm sure we'll see more and more Brazilian competitors out of Brazil due to the sport's rapid expansion. Phone Post

lol @ " Brazilian competitors out of Brazil"

10/25/12 1:24 AM
dannyapodaca

Don't believe it. Just more bullshit out of Dana's mouth Phone Post
10/25/12 1:29 AM
Haulport

LOL!

Don't look at our FOX numbers.....we're HUGE in Brazil!!!

10/25/12 1:34 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fighters say they all get recognized by everyone down there. Even if Dana is exaggerating a lot there's no denying mma is a big deal in Brazil right now Phone Post
10/25/12 1:45 AM
that new guy

So what you gave it too them free let's see how many would watch it if they had to cough up $55 bucks or more for it.

10/25/12 1:45 AM
Flexo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does that mean 400k PPV buys i American? Because that a huge difference. Phone Post
10/25/12 7:12 PM
SinCityHustler

With viewership doing so well in Brazil, could we be seeing the beginning of the the end of the pay per view model?  There's seemingly a new tv deal somewhere in the world being inked every time I read up on MMA.  That has to mean HUGE tv money coming in.  With PPVs struggling and US fans fed up with lousy cards and an overpriced product, MMA has grown stale, at least for me it has.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.