UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Read Sherdog's "top 10 fights that never happened"

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/25/12 8:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sean McCorkle
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And it broke my heart. Blame who you want, but it is an absolute Travesty those fights never happened. That's why I say make "Silva vs Gsp" right now and assuming Silva wins, make Silva Jon Jones immediately after that assuming Jones beats Chael.

The time to make the fights is now. "Later" never works out.
10/25/12 8:44 AM
BrCutter
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva v. Jones is just something that has to happen.  I need to see it.  It's like those Faces of Death videos; pretty nasty, but you can't look away.  

10/25/12 8:44 AM
irishrottie
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeh its sad to think these fights will never happen.

10/25/12 8:45 AM
bruised
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sean McCorkle - And it broke my heart. Blame who you want, but it is an absolute Travesty those fights never happened. That's why I say make "Silva vs Gsp" right now and assuming Silva wins, make Silva Jon Jones immediately after that assuming Jones beats Chael.

First, I'm surprised you have a heart. Second, I agree with you. Make the fights ASAP. Everyone will make a lit if money and it will help establish either fighter's legacy. This sport needs its Ali-like icon and if Silva won against GSP and maybe Jones, we'd definitely have our icon. Phone Post
10/25/12 8:58 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope they make the fight, its been talked about for so long...  We wouldve had it post Maia if not for Silva pissing about!

10/25/12 9:02 AM
Ministry of Truth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sean McCorkle - And it broke my heart. Blame who you want, but it is an absolute Travesty those fights never happened. That's why I say make "Silva vs Gsp" right now and assuming Silva wins, make Silva Jon Jones immediately after that assuming Jones beats Chael.

Link? That site hurts my eyes to browse.
10/25/12 9:05 AM
Tilla

Wand vs Fedor and Wand vs Randy were THE fights to make.

Wand vs Fedor had the potential to be the most violent MMA fight if all time.

Just imagine those two going at it UNDER PRIDE RULES!!!!!!
10/25/12 9:07 AM
Hemlock
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will not go to Sherdog, or ESPN, or any bath house, or halfway house, or ANY place Josh Gross has left his trail of slime.
10/25/12 9:35 AM
HE H4TE ME
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hemlock - I will not go to Sherdog, or ESPN, or any bath house, or halfway house, or ANY place Josh Gross has left his trail of slime.
I lol'd. Phone Post
10/25/12 10:02 AM
Rabid Bunyip
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hemlock - I will not go to Sherdog, or ESPN, or any bath house, or halfway house, or ANY place Josh Gross has left his trail of slime.

Ugh - Sherdog. Poor dears.

I'm not being condescending - I'm too busy thinking about far more important things they wouldn't understand
10/25/12 10:11 AM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theres a lot of good things about sherdog. i dont see why everybody has to bandwagon hate it. the news is usually solid with the exception of a couple writers, and the radio is pretty good too. for forum needs, you can just UG.
10/25/12 11:48 AM
McBottery

...people wanted Anderson Silva vs Matt Hughes?

10/25/12 11:53 AM
MediumRareMistake
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McBottery -

When silva was the welterweight shooto champ ya prob, before my time tho Phone Post
10/25/12 12:27 PM
Taz Styles
4425 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lee Murray vs Tito Ortiz
10/25/12 12:32 PM
Jsteven
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How was Mccorkle vs Jason guida not on there? Terrible list. Phone Post
10/25/12 12:45 PM
DreamerMMA
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Lytle vs Martin Kampman should have happened.

Easy FOTN if not FOTY potential.

10/25/12 12:46 PM
bjws
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McBottery - 

That was what I was thinking too.
10/25/12 12:47 PM
PR Pretty Boy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sean McCorkle - And it broke my heart. Blame who you want, but it is an absolute Travesty those fights never happened. That's why I say make "Silva vs Gsp" right now and assuming Silva wins, make Silva Jon Jones immediately after that assuming Jones beats Chael.

Sean, What is the fight that you most regret it never happened?

10/25/12 12:58 PM
caposa
1964 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hughes vs. Silva was supposed to happen at UFC 36, but Anderson had already signed with Pride. So they brought in Sakurai.

10/25/12 1:02 PM
SQUEEZIE

matches i would love to see for selfish reeasons.
silva vs jones(if he beats fael)
vs winner of shogun vs gust
vs machida
vs tex
vs evans
vs winner of tim vs chris
vs gsp(if he beats condit)
vs winner of tex vs rampage

gsp vs top ten 185ers if he runs thru condit with super ease. vs rory(if he finishes bj)

diaz vs kampmann
vs alves
vs gsp
vs rory(if he finishes bj)

tex vs rampage
vs shogun
vs machida
vs gust
vs hendo

jbj vs winner of shogun vs gust
vs winner of machida vs hendo

to many more! jbj vs top 15 hw. that will happen eventually.
10/25/12 1:02 PM
caposa
1964 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/25/12 1:08 PM

as far as fights in recent memory that were supposed to happen but didn't

Condit/Lytle had FOTY written all over it and they tried to set this fight up twice but Chris got injured the first time, and the 2nd time Condit was injured. Would have been amazing

Another incredible fight that nearly happened was Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez. This fight was supposed to headline Elite XCs final show but the doors were closed before it could ever happen. I can't imagine how crazy this fight would have been.

10/25/12 1:03 PM
Festus
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McBottery -

Yes. Alot of talk and wanting it. Which is crazylooking back. Same thing will be said 5-8 years from now about people wanting to see GSP and Anderson. People will look back and realize just how retarded it is wanting to see that fight. Total mismatch. Phone Post
10/25/12 1:38 PM
DreamerMMA
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit/Lytle would have rocked.

I was still hoping for a Alves/Lytle rematch.

10/25/12 1:46 PM
Whambo
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Festus - 
McBottery -

Yes. Alot of talk and wanting it. Which is crazylooking back. Same thing will be said 5-8 years from now about people wanting to see GSP and Anderson. People will look back and realize just how retarded it is wanting to see that fight. Total mismatch. Phone Post

huh? Hughes ran through Sakurai, and he may have been able to use the same strategy on Silva. Silva hadn't yet hit his peak yet, and that was Hughes in his prime.

Chonan beat Silva in Pride, yet Hughes beating him in that same period is a total mismatch? Ok...
10/25/12 2:14 PM
carasando

McBottery - 

From Sherdog:

The Team Miletich product and “The Spider” were scheduled to lock horns at UFC 36 in Las Vegas. Hughes had captured the welterweight strap with a second-round slam KO of Carlos Newton at UFC 34 and was just beginning to establish himself as one of the most dominant 170-pound champions in the promotion’s history. Silva, who was then Shooto’s welterweight ruler, was a more slender version of the fearsome striker he is today.

Silva instead signed with Pride Fighting Championships, where he suffered the last two legitimate setbacks of his career. His UFC debut would not come until four years later.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.