UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Bulking up on Paleo/IF?

10/25/12 9:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FLMikeATT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started doing the 16/8 IF protocol and have been eating Paleo lately. I'm liking them a lot and I've noticed I've gotten a lot leaner around my stomach.

However, I'm having a hard time putting on mass due to the lack of carbs. I'm 5'10 and around 153-155lbs and ideally I want to be around 170-185lbs, but I haven't been able to gain weight since I started.

I think one of the things that I haven't been doing right is eating enough. I tried eating a lot yesterday and really stuffed myself full of fats and high quality protein during every meal, and I was satisfied when I weighed myself last night and I was 158 lbs. Then I took a piss and weighed myself this morning and I was 152.8. I lost over 5lbs during the night. WTF.

So besides upping my calories and eating 1.5-2 times the amount of food that I am eating currently, are there any other things I can do to put on mass? Should I add some carbs into my diet like brown rice or quinoa even though it isn't Paleo?
10/25/12 10:17 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well eating Paleo and doing IF wont be easy to gain weight. Just eat more and if that doesn't work I would probably add quinoa or maybe more fruit. Phone Post
10/25/12 10:23 AM
FLMikeATT

Yeah, I know Paleo and IF aren't good for bulking, but I really want to stay on them if I can.

I think I might start adding 'bulk' shakes in between meals...like a few eggs, peanut butter, whey, whole milk, some fruit, etc. I already drink a few whey shakes throughout the day, but perhaps I can just add a lot more calories to them.

I snack on almonds, yogurt, and jerky and stuff throughout the day and I try to eat at least 1.5 lbs of meat a day. Apparently that's not enough I guess.

May I should try the GOMAD thing where you drink a gallon of milk a day. That might be rough though.
10/25/12 10:28 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For starters try to get 1gram of protein per lb of lean body mass at least everyday. Bulking up eating Paleo should be nearly impossible but gaining lean mucsle should not. The down side of that is it takes a long time to put on any lean mucsle.

10/25/12 1:09 PM
FLMikeATT

I'm pretty sure I'm getting 1g/lb...I think I'm just not getting enough total calories. And eating very little to no carbs isn't really helping because carbs spike your insulin and allow sugar to go into your muscles.
10/25/12 1:46 PM
1800champagne

Why are you doing IF when you're so skinny? No comprendo. Phone Post
10/25/12 2:02 PM
FLMikeATT

Seems like a good protocol to follow from my own paltry research. And who doesn't want to look like Martin Berkhan?

So you think I should avoid IF until I'm a bit bigger and more experienced in lifting?
10/25/12 2:35 PM
paw
1372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/your_diet_isnt_building_any_muscle

(which was just posted today)

10/25/12 2:38 PM
Leigh
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I HAVE to eat junk food to bulk. No way I can get enough calories through paleo Phone Post
10/25/12 3:42 PM
1800champagne

FLMikeATT - Seems like a good protocol to follow from my own paltry research. And who doesn't want to look like Martin Berkhan?

So you think I should avoid IF until I'm a bit bigger and more experienced in lifting?
I only modify my diet to make weight or increase performance, not specifically aesthetics. Are you trying to be a bodybuilder? Phone Post
10/25/12 4:08 PM
FLMikeATT

Leigh -  I HAVE to eat junk food to bulk. No way I can get enough calories through paleo Phone Post

Any recommendations? I do love me a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich...
10/25/12 4:16 PM
FLMikeATT

1800champagne - 
FLMikeATT - Seems like a good protocol to follow from my own paltry research. And who doesn't want to look like Martin Berkhan?

I only modify my diet to make weight or increase performance, not specifically aesthetics. Are you trying to be a bodybuilder? Phone Post

Professionally? Hell no. I just want to get a lot bigger and ripped; and I know I have to gain a lot more weight if I want to meet those goals.

I got off to a good start today. I ate a pound of grass fed buffalo for breakfast along with a huge greens/milk/whey/peanut butter smoothy.

Snacked on some almonds and had a few glasses of whole milk scattered through the morning. Had some BCAA's and protein before I went to the gym.

Right now I just got back from the gym (did deads and shoulders), had a post workout shake with some carbs and now I'm eating 5 organic scrambled eggs. I'm fucking stuffed but I still have a lot more to eat before I go to sleep tonight lol.

I was really inspired by the guy on biggersmallerbigger.com which someone posted in the free IF thread where the guy gains 20 lbs in a month. Guy is crazy.
10/25/12 4:43 PM
Leigh
759 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FLMikeATT - 
Leigh -  I HAVE to eat junk food to bulk. No way I can get enough calories through paleo Phone Post

Any recommendations? I do love me a Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich...

The biggest I ever got (170) was eating a loaf of bread with peanut butter and jam, a couple pints of milk with some protein powder and a pizza every day
10/25/12 4:57 PM
FLMikeATT

Ugh. That much bread and pizza would kill me. There must be a better way to get big.
10/25/12 5:46 PM
JFlash916

I'm in the same exact situation as u I'm 160 trying to gain ad I'm on paleo. I just added brown rice and some wheat bread to my dietin hopes of being able to gain Phone Post
10/25/12 7:12 PM
FLMikeATT

paw - 

Read http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/your_diet_isnt_building_any_muscle

(which was just posted today)

Sweet. Thanks!
10/25/12 7:53 PM
FLMikeATT

Weighed 152.8 this morning.

I now weigh 161.4 after a long day of stuffing my face with everything in sight. 8.6 lbs increase in a day...not bad. I really don't feel all that well right now though. My stomach feels like it's gonna burst.

If I drop another 5lbs overnight like I did last night, I'll still be up a few lbs.
10/26/12 12:51 AM
sside maurice
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I'm on a strict 16/8 IF protocol, I can eat junk until I burst and still won't weigh more than 155. I had to expand my eating window to get up to 170.
10/26/12 2:51 AM
Leigh

FLMikeATT - Ugh. That much bread and pizza would kill me. There must be a better way to get big.
yeah I find bulking neither fun nor healthy Phone Post
10/26/12 11:08 AM
UGCTT croy_00
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strange. I find I am getting great gains on Paleo. One thing I did notice is that I have to lift less though. Maybe it's just because I am not recovering as well, but I am lifting twice a week for 45 minutes and am getting solid gains. I did take two weeks off of lifting as well for a holiday. Phone Post
10/26/12 11:45 AM
The Adversary
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To paraphrase Robb Wolf, the paleo diet is a good place to start, but there are too many discrepancies about what paleo "really" is. Some say dairy and rice are fine, others say nay.

He recommends doing strict paleo (all the foods everyone agrees on) for 30 days as a reset and then reintroducing some of the controversial foods if needed, like in your case. Most people just want to lose weight, so it's fine being strict. If you're trying to bulk, add a few more yams, dairy, and some rice and see how you do.

Eating paleo is great, but if being too orthodox is getting in the way of your goals you may have to swing more towards the liberal approach.

They also address this on the paleo podcast somewhat regularly. Episodes 85, 82, 12 cover it. There are probably a few more, but I just did a quick search.
10/26/12 12:43 PM
vermonter
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see no reason you can't get more muscular on IF with paleo. If carbs are your problem, then eat more of them. Fruits would be within the plan, but if you want to eat differently then add some other carbs.

That said, the question is too vague to prescribe a solution over the net. How can we know it's not your workout that's the problem. If you have a decent appetite and are consuming enough protein, then consistent progress would be your limiter most likely, which could be hampered by CHO

Too hard to say to be honest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.