UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Questions: Just started lifting again

10/25/12 2:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sequoyah Sandford
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just recently got a gym membership and I was curious for strength purposes what would be an idea routine? I am torn as to whether or not to lift heavy or do reps with short rest. I train MMA 2x day mon-fri and once on saturday. I am not fighting anytime soon so I am not worried about cutting weight at the moment so I want utilize this time for strength gains.

When I lift I generally do compound lifts and included weight body weight exercises such as pullups and dips.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
10/25/12 2:38 PM
GrendelX
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compound lifts are where its at. If you want to gain size and strength lift heavy low reps. Whenever I do body weight exercises I will use a weight vest and some ankle weights to maximize my training. Hope this helps.
10/25/12 2:40 PM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah if you're in a gym, its either to lift heavy or use the cardio machines cos its raining outside. Repping out just doesn't make sense Phone Post
10/25/12 2:42 PM
Sequoyah Sandford
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrendelX - Compound lifts are where its at. If you want to gain size and strength lift heavy low reps. Whenever I do body weight exercises I will use a weight vest and some ankle weights to maximize my training. Hope this helps.

Makes sense.
10/25/12 2:43 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

Leigh -  Yeah if you're in a gym, its either to lift heavy or use the cardio machines cos its raining outside. Repping out just doesn't make sense Phone Post

Gotcha, I like lifting heavy anyways. But thats what I was leaning towards, it can only help.
10/25/12 6:02 PM
MixedMartialTart
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heavy compound lifts are great but maybe try incorporate kettlebells for functionality. Phone Post
10/25/12 6:22 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

What do you mean by functionality?
10/25/12 7:57 PM
MixedMartialTart

Sequoyah Sandford - What do you mean by functionality?
Kettlebells work like compound lifts but activate the core. For example a kettlebell swing uses your legs, hips, abs and core and the arm and shoulders. More importantly all the muscles working unison. Bicep curls may make your arms 'look good', but the muscle will not be optimised to work with those around them. Kettlebells help activate numerous muscles at once which helps for many aspects of fighting such as bridging, hip escapes, shrimping, sweeps etc, which all require the body work as one unit. Phone Post
10/25/12 8:09 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

MixedMartialTart - 
Sequoyah Sandford - What do you mean by functionality?
Kettlebells work like compound lifts but activate the core. For example a kettlebell swing uses your legs, hips, abs and core and the arm and shoulders. More importantly all the muscles working unison. Bicep curls may make your arms 'look good', but the muscle will not be optimised to work with those around them. Kettlebells help activate numerous muscles at once which helps for many aspects of fighting such as bridging, hip escapes, shrimping, sweeps etc, which all require the body work as one unit. Phone Post

ok that makes sense, yea I will. We have Kettlebells at the gym I train at too. But I will add them in when I lift as well. Thanks for the advice!
10/26/12 12:46 AM
sside maurice
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squats, deads, cleans, presses, pullups, and dips activate the core plenty.
10/26/12 2:54 AM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kettle bells are not more "functional" than compound lifts. Don't bother with them if you are tight on time or energy, there are more effective tools Phone Post
10/26/12 5:40 AM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  Kettle bells are not more "functional" than compound lifts. Don't bother with them if you are tight on time or energy, there are more effective tools Phone Post

Bingo. Anyone who claims that kettlebells are more effective for "functionality" is either very ignorant of the reality of true lifts or has been drinking too much of Pavel's Kool-Aid, comrade.

For example, the BS about activating the "core."

Uh, what the fuck do you think a deadlift does? Or a heavy squat? If your "core" isn't activated during those lifts, you're going to 1) fail at the lift, and 2) possibly totally fuck up your back.

As for "activating" multiple muscles, again, so do many of the compound barbell lifts. A snatch or clean activates the same muscles as a kettlebell swing. A deadlift or squat will also activate many of the same, and a bench will activate most of the muscles of the upper body.

Please, become more educated on the reality of the physiology of lifting (this is not aimed at Leigh, who knows his shit).
10/26/12 6:40 AM
Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just do opposite of what MixedMartialTart says and you should be fine.
10/26/12 2:00 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

Compound lifts....gotcha. Can anyone shoot me a quick routine example? Phone Post
10/26/12 2:02 PM
jeremy hamilton
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get the book Starting Strength, follow what the book says. It will answer all of your questions and put you on the right path.
10/26/12 5:53 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/ws4sb.pdf

10/26/12 8:02 PM
MixedMartialTart

Leigh - Kettle bells are not more "functional" than compound lifts. Don't bother with them if you are tight on time or energy, there are more effective tools Phone Post
Leigh you're very knowledgeable in this area, but if you look back I think you'll see you misrepresented what I wrote. I never said Kettlebells were MORE functional, I just said they are comparable to compound lifts as they work more than one muscle group at once. That's why I used a bicep curl isolating exercise as a bad example of strength training and not a squat or deadlift etc. I just feel Kettlebells are a useful tool for training. I wasn't trying to pass of any misinformation and if it appeared this way I'm sorry. But it's great how quick people are quick to vote down and bash people for doing so, without doing so in a constructive and respectful manner. Not a dig at you Leigh, But if you reread my post I think you may be inclined to agree with this one. Phone Post
10/26/12 8:43 PM
Leigh

You said heavy compound lifting is good but he should try kettle bells for functionality. That sounds like you are advocating KBs over compound lifts, which I wanted to clarify was not accurate.

I didn't vote you down nor bash you. I wouldn't do that over a simple difference in opinion. Phone Post
10/26/12 9:06 PM
MixedMartialTart

Leigh - You said heavy compound lifting is good but he should try kettle bells for functionality. That sounds like you are advocating KBs over compound lifts, which I wanted to clarify was not accurate.

I didn't vote you down nor bash you. I wouldn't do that over a simple difference in opinion. Phone Post
Yeah I thought you had just misinterpreted what I put. In hindsight I could of been more clear. I meant Kettlebells are a great alternative to compound lifts in developing functional strength. I wasn't aiming that at you as much as I were ayatollahs comment which serves no purpose. He said to do the opposite of what I posted when the information I provided is sound. If he doesn't know that he has no business in sharing his opinion in this thread as he had nothing constructive to contribute. I'm new to posting and have been lurking until I felt my knowledge base was to a level where I could provide accurate advice. Perhaps he should do the same. Phone Post
10/27/12 4:33 AM
MixedMartialTart

Fearless Winker -
MixedMartialTart -  Heavy compound lifts are great but maybe try incorporate kettlebells for functionality. Phone Post

Hold that thought.

Explain? Phone Post
10/27/12 11:09 AM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner -
Leigh -  Kettle bells are not more "functional" than compound lifts. Don't bother with them if you are tight on time or energy, there are more effective tools Phone Post

Bingo. Anyone who claims that kettlebells are more effective for "functionality" is either very ignorant of the reality of true lifts or has been drinking too much of Pavel's Kool-Aid, comrade.

For example, the BS about activating the "core."

Uh, what the fuck do you think a deadlift does? Or a heavy squat? If your "core" isn't activated during those lifts, you're going to 1) fail at the lift, and 2) possibly totally fuck up your back.

As for "activating" multiple muscles, again, so do many of the compound barbell lifts. A snatch or clean activates the same muscles as a kettlebell swing. A deadlift or squat will also activate many of the same, and a bench will activate most of the muscles of the upper body.

Please, become more educated on the reality of the physiology of lifting (this is not aimed at Leigh, who knows his shit).
Best post so far. Buy starting strength 3rd edition, it's a great book as is most of mark rippetoes stuff Phone Post
11/15/12 7:09 AM
fanat

Sub Phone Post
11/15/12 9:50 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/12 9:50 AM
I think anyone that works regularly with implements of asymmetrical weight distribution like kettlebells will see that they actually shift emphasis away from the center (the "core") of the body. This is a fundamental reason why you can't use as much weight as you can with stable symmetrical weight (the other major reason being that they typically require more technique).
11/19/12 7:13 PM
Sequoyah Sandford

Anyone use a 5 3 1 structure? Been playing it with it. Ill do that for a week then do 6-8 sets of 3s for a week. Phone Post
11/20/12 8:04 AM
Sequoyah Sandford

Fearless Winker -
Sequoyah Sandford -  Anyone use a 5 3 1 structure? Been playing it with it. Ill do that for a week then do 6-8 sets of 3s for a week. Phone Post

Look up the calculator, makes it much easier to workout no pun intended.

Whats the name? Weightlifting calculator? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.