UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Questions: Just started lifting again

11/20/12 10:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fearless Winker -

LOL try 5,3,1 calculator there are heapsd of them around. Id find you a really good one but Im at work and actually working for once.

here is the first one that came up on google

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Lol done deal...i googled weightlifting calculator and holy shit did a bunch of different things come up. Phone Post
11/21/12 4:26 AM
LordSeano
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sequoyah Sandford -  Anyone use a 5 3 1 structure? Been playing it with it. Ill do that for a week then do 6-8 sets of 3s for a week. Phone Post

I've been doing 5/3/1 for 6 weeks now with decent results (search for my thread on 'anyone interested in following my fitness goals' if you are interested in more details).

In 6 weeks (1.5 cycles) I have gone from (in kgs):

Press 5x47.5 to 8x52.5
Deadlift 9x115 to 11x125
Bench 5x77.5 to 9x82.5
Squat 11x92.5 to 11x102.5

Id say that you want to follow it through for a good few cycles if you are going to get the most benefits from it though.
11/22/12 4:25 PM
Sequoyah Sandford
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LordSeano -
Sequoyah Sandford -  Anyone use a 5 3 1 structure? Been playing it with it. Ill do that for a week then do 6-8 sets of 3s for a week. Phone Post

I've been doing 5/3/1 for 6 weeks now with decent results (search for my thread on 'anyone interested in following my fitness goals' if you are interested in more details).

In 6 weeks (1.5 cycles) I have gone from (in kgs):

Press 5x47.5 to 8x52.5
Deadlift 9x115 to 11x125
Bench 5x77.5 to 9x82.5
Squat 11x92.5 to 11x102.5

Id say that you want to follow it through for a good few cycles if you are going to get the most benefits from it though.
Ill check it out Phone Post
12/3/12 2:56 AM
onepunchJD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Research has suggested that going to failure can produce gains even at high reps. That said, I don't think we can argue against low reps producing more brute strength.

Functional strength is a vague term, IMO.

I personally like to mix things up a lot, with a focus on both weak and strong points at the same time. What I mean by that is, if a muscle group seems to be gaining at a fast rate, I am careful to maintain whatever routine I am currently in, and I may add an extra set. If a muscle group seems to be falling behind, I will change the routine and look for new ways to challenge the muscle.

I also tend to hit lagging muscle groups both at the beginning and end of a workout. Working a muscle group at the start of a lifting session is commonly known as the priority principle, and obviously focuses on a muscle before the body is fatigued. However, I also believe in the benefits of training a muscle after it has already been worked hard. So my priority principle will normally put heavy sets at the start of a workout, and hi-rep sets toward the end.

I strongly believe in mixing things up. For example, if it is arm day, we might have 4 specific bicep lifts. Out of the 4 lifts, 2 of them will be with heavy weight - less than 5 reps to start, and down to 1 or 2 after 4-5 sets. 1 lift will be in that "bodybuilding" range of 8-12 reps. 1 lift will be somewhere between 12-20 reps. Of course, everything depends on your goals. But I believe that a muscle will be more stressed through variety.

I also believe in doing partial reps after it becomes impossible to complete full reps with proper form. I call these burns, and this tends to maximize the pump, as well as hit secondary muscles.

I also like to vary between lots of lifts per muscle, with less sets - and less lifts per muscle with higher sets. I find this is a great way to overcome plateaus.

For example,(I'll use biceps again because it's easy), there are months when we do one set of each lift in a row, 4-5 times. So instead of doing 4 sets of barbell curls, followed by 4 sets of incline dumbell curls, etc. -- we set up a circuit. For example, we will do a set of EZ barbell curls, incline dumbell curls, double hammer preacher curls, concentration curls, and palm in chins, one after another. Then we start over, and do this 4-5 times. When I really get creative, Ill throw in staggered sets of tricep lifts after each run. (I love staggered sets, and often find excuses to include them.) A couple of tricep lifts would start the workout, followed by the biceps run with staggered tricep sets, and finishing with a good forearm/grip session. This type of routine represents a maximum variety of lifts we will do for an arm workout.

As much as I enjoy doing this large variety of lifts, I also enjoy simplicity. So when we have been doing these more complex routines for a couple months, we will normally start to plateau a bit. This is when I change it up. Instead of more lifts with less sets, I'll do less lifts, with more weight, and more sets. For example, 6 sets of heavy EZ curlss alternating grips, 6 sets of medium hammer curls (fast), and 6 sets of heavy concentration curls, (a very slow lift). That makes 18 sets of bicep curls alone, not to mention the secondary lifts.

I like to mix it up between fast explosive lifts, and slow deliberate lifts. Again, it depends on your goals, but variety has always worked best for me.

I find that going back and forth between these two extremes is a great way to avoid those plateaus.

When in doubt, change it up. Been changing it up for a while? Go back to the basics.

Also, negative reps are great for that elusive tendon strength that everybody wants. This will help to support heavier lifts in the future.

I could go on and on, but I would say that having a partner is one of the best methods to speed up gains. My lifting partner and I have a +1 rule. During each lifting session, we each get to add an extra set to the lift of our choice. We might add an extra set to the other guys least favorite lift, or our best lift for that day, or whatever. This rule kind of fuels the competitive fire that leads to more intense workouts.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.