UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DREAM is not dead, it's Dutch

10/25/12 5:01 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In the beginning, there was Pride.

And although Pride Never Die, it died.

A number of figures from Pride formed parent company FEG, and tried to do it again, with DREAM. From 2008 to the present, DREAM promoted 23 events. Fighters included Eddie Alvarez, Shinya Aoki, Mirko Crocop, Bibiano Fernandes, Joachim Hansen, Gegard Mousasi, Alistair Overeem, and Kazushi Sakuraba.

The promotion encountered difficulties, failed to pay a number of fighters, and was pronounced dead.

It is now back from the dead, under GLORY, the promotional arm of Holland's Golden Glory. Anyone who did not want to support DREAM because they were screwing over fighters can now support DREAM, because the prime mover behind recovering the lost funds now runs the show.

AsianMMA is reporting the details from the recent DREAM press conference:

•Pierre Andurand and GLORY Sports International are bankrolling the show.
•FEG have no involvement at all.
•Bas Boon basically set the whole deal to hold a NYE show up.
•GLORY hope to hold ten events in Japan next year; it is unknown what the kickboxing/MMA split will be.
•Dream.18 will he held New Year’s Eve, at the Saitama Super Arena, and will have high production value that JMMA fans die for.
•Dream.18 aims to have 13 fights - 10 MMA and 3 Kickboxing.
•Satoru Kitaoka, Hiroyuki Takaya and Tatsuya Kawajiri are the only confirmed fighters so far.

Read entire article...

10/25/12 5:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RabbiVJ
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

full press conference vid.

10/25/12 5:53 PM
AJS19ad6
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Phone Post
10/25/12 5:54 PM
SonofJockstrap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed for vid later, the news itself actually makes me think this might be a semi-successful venture. Just hope that this doesn't become a war between OneFC and Dream/Glory

10/25/12 5:56 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Phone Post
10/25/12 6:07 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^My exact thought lol

It's only a matter of time before DREAM is dead again. 

10/25/12 9:03 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fishyfish - 
YellowWrkedByTapIn - 

^My exact thought lol

NEWSFLASH: it's only a matter of time before we ALL are dead.  ...and should we start boycotting all MMA associated with shady characters and organized crime ?

Who the hell said anything about boycotting?

And why the hell are you bringing human life into a conversation about an MMA product coming to an end soon?

And what the hell is up with all these page breaks?

And who the hell am I? 

10/25/12 10:12 PM
Michael Kn1ght
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like ie. ttt Phone Post
10/25/12 11:05 PM
Drunkenirishfc
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Phone Post
10/25/12 11:05 PM
ender852
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice

10/25/12 11:13 PM
Brian J DSouza

I think the fighters can trust Bas Boon to pay them.

The situation between Overeem and his management had a lot of friction over unpaid K-1/FEG money.

I think its good there are options for fighters outside the UFC.

10/25/12 11:17 PM
cambeezee

I like the kickboxing and MMA events. I'm stoked. Phone Post
10/25/12 11:32 PM
RKing85
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's Japanese MMA on New Year's Eve.

I'll be watching no matter what the card is!
10/26/12 5:39 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it is interesting to see another type of guy running an MMA organization. The guy seems to have a passion for the sport and he did has a reasonable resume. But his hedge own hedge fund tanked big time. Now it is not weird for funds to liquidate themselves. But i believe the track record of his fund was not without controversy.

Still it is a mostly a good thing that most of the people on the board seem to have good professional former careers (even though some would say they lack a certain integrity).

I am still a little amazed that Glory is willing to really double down on Japan. But i do hope they will able to revive the kickboxing and MMA in Japan and also try to conquer the rest of Asia.

I am a little confused about the fact that Andurand is a majority shareholder on this.Did he just buy the brand name from golden glory. And how symbiotic will the Golden glory relationship be.

It is still pretty good news that he has been able to bring both Boon and Rutten together (they have not always have seen exactly eye to eye).

Would be sweet to see a semi dutch fighting firm rise to prominance and actually compete with the UFC.

10/26/12 8:28 AM
junon
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

holy crap THE UFC IS DONE!
10/26/12 9:10 AM
SamboMMA

fishyfish - 
YellowWrkedByTapIn - 

^My exact thought lol

NEWSFLASH: it's only a matter of time before we ALL are dead.  ...and should we start boycotting all MMA associated with shady characters and organized crime ?

So does this mean you'll be boycotting UFC as well?
10/26/12 10:02 AM
edward nigma
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caralho
10/26/12 11:42 AM
redenstein
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No wait....this just in. Dream is dead.
10/26/12 11:44 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are they going to take care of the guys Dream owes or is that still considered FEG's problem? Phone Post
10/26/12 11:58 AM
othree
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Are they going to take care of the guys Dream owes or is that still considered FEG's problem? Phone Post

I can only imagine that would be considered FEG's problem.

10/26/12 12:43 PM
ChaoticTorres

ssj - DREAM Never Die

DREAM Never Die.
10/26/12 12:44 PM
ChaoticTorres

It sucks to know that fighters did not get payed, Antonio Banuelos was open about it on twitter.
10/26/12 1:01 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

othree -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Are they going to take care of the guys Dream owes or is that still considered FEG's problem? Phone Post

I can only imagine that would be considered FEG's problem.

I wish they would call it a different name. Dream deserved to die Phone Post
10/26/12 6:03 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaoticTorres - 
ssj - DREAM Never Die

DREAM Never Die.

This. Never Die!
10/26/12 6:16 PM
YellowWrkedByTapIn

Cann - 
ChaoticTorres - 
ssj - DREAM Never Die

DREAM Never Die.

This. Never Die!

Oh, it will. A slow...painful...death...

...again. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.