UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 10 ways to improve your BJJ coaching

10/26/12 7:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thebjjprofessor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool article up over on Grapplearts: http://www.grapplearts.com/Blog/2012/09/10-ways-to-improve-your-bjj-coaching/

In addition to bringing toilet paper and training your voice (two suggestions Stephan's readers made), what would you add or subtract from this list?

10/26/12 2:23 PM
shen
665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/12 2:27 PM

Fine article as always.

But sort of an "alternate take" on some of this from Red Belt Prof. Alvaro Barreto who said, (through his son interpreting):

[Paraphrased]The time to coach is BEFORE the tournament. At the tournament he doesn't like to see professors yelling moves to their students. He thinks it's inappropriate. He said often these are "lesser teachers" who are trying to teach BJJ while their student is competing. He said the time for that is past you should have already prepared your student; let your student compete and execute what he knows. Besides, whatever you are yelling at him, probably won't help him.

That has really stuck with me. While I DO coach students, I also realize the limits of what they can absorb in the moment. When I hear a coach trying to actually explain, step-by-step HOW TO DO moves mid-match, it just seems pointless. Takes the student out of the game mentally and hardly ever works.

10/27/12 12:22 PM
thebjjprofessor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that's incredibly insightful.  I see it all the time now that I think about it: insturctors trying to teach a kid how to apply and finish a triangle during the match.  I also think a lot of instructors don't do any gameplanning with their students which, if they're going to complete, should really be done way ahead of time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.