UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hughes: Hunting not wrong, by law or the Bible

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
10/26/12 6:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On criticism of his hunting:

"They can think whatever they want. But as far as, by the law, I'm right. You can't see anything in the Bible [that says I'm wrong]. By the law and by the Bible, I've not done anything wrong. And if I haven't conflicted with either one of those, I can live my life the way I want to. That's my answer.

"When you go to Africa, I had to pay to shoot these animals. But, when you kill an animal, you get the hide and the horns. All the meat stays with the outfitter and it feeds the people there. So I wasn't entitled to any of the meat."

On his to trip to Africa:

"I shot six animals: kudu, gemsbok, eland, red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest. [My son] shot a kudu, gemsbok, zebra, impala, and bushbuck. So, we had a great time. It was a great bonding moment. He's 13 years old, so of course he's never going to forget this. And he can't wait to go back to Africa sometime."

read entire article...

10/26/12 6:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/12 6:08 PM

2nd.

How anyone can try and argue that killing anything in excess or for pleasure/thrill isn't spoken to in the bible is beyond me. Too lazy to look shit up right now but seriously?

10/26/12 6:07 PM
torquemada
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't care for it, but It's just a personal preference. Glad the meat feeds people at least. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:08 PM
UGCTT Captain America
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish UG news wouldn't report Hughes hunting stuff. These threads always get way out of hand really quickly. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:10 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up -

2nd.

How anyone can try and argue that killing anything in excess or for pleasure/thrill isn't spoken to in the bible is beyond me. Too lazy to look shit up right now but seriously?

He said in the interview the animals they kill do get eaten, he just doesn't get to keep the meat himself. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:17 PM
Steve4192
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

2nd.

I hate to break it to you, but the bible is pretty clear on the subject .... animals were put on this earth for man to use however he sees fit.  In biblical terms, they are no different than a field of wheat or a forest of trees.  They are on this earth to serve mankind and have no divine purpose beyond that. 

10/26/12 6:18 PM
chaplinshouse
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT Captain America -  I wish UG news wouldn't report Hughes hunting stuff. These threads always get way out of hand really quickly. Phone Post

the UG news likes the shit storm threads.  they know they're batting the bee hive

10/26/12 6:23 PM
Steve4192
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, if you are going to bitch about people killing mass quantities of animals, why single out hunters?  Exterminators kill way more of God's creatures than Matt Hughes ever will, but no one seems upset about them.  No one cries when a little kid fries an ant with a magnifying glass.  I have also never heard anyone bitch about fishing, duck hunting or frog gigging. 

I guess it doesn't count unless you kill something with fur.  Then all hell breaks loose.

10/26/12 6:27 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up -

2nd.

He said in the interview the animals they kill do get eaten, he just doesn't get to keep the meat himself. Phone Post

You're missing the point. As mnay do when I try and make it.

What is Matt's motive to hunt these animals in Africa? The meat gets eaten as a side effect. He is paying thousands of dollars to fly himself and his young son to Africa to KILL. They are not hunting out of necessity, they are hunting for the sport/thrill/trophy.

It is just my opinion, but that is not a very righteous way to live.

10/26/12 6:31 PM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In as the first guy with a red arrow.

The bible says we have dominion over the all creature in the sea the land and air. Is that what he is getting at? I think the concept was also that we be good stewards over these creatures. Being a good steward is not wonton slaughter for pleasure or a trophy. I think me Hugh's is confused as to the intent of scripture. :/ it is also not biblical law in anyway shape or form. Phone Post
Steve4192

Media Monster - 

FOR FOOD!

Kill it, Eat it = Cool

Kill it, Hang it on the wall & Facebook tag it = Not Cool

You left something out in the second option.

Kill it, DONATE MEAT, Hang it on the wall and Facebook tag it = Not cool

People are eating the animal either way.  Why does it matter who eats it?

Hostile
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can care less about the whole "bible" element and personally I'm not a Matt Hughes fan.... However, he is hunting, so unless you are a complete vegetarian then you have no say on the matter as long as he is not poaching.
Every time YOU eat a steak, fish, chicken etc etc you are too killing a animal, the only difference is that you paid someone else to KILL IT for YOU!

The argument of legally and sustainable harvesting of meat by the way of "hunting" is simply pointless. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:33 PM
SunnyKO'd my SN
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listen, if the hunting is in line with the nature policies of the country, not messing up the ecosystem or endangering the herds, and the meat is actually used, I have no problem with it, and I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with it, short of a full fledged vegan.

The animals they killed are natural prey for creatures that eat them alive, often in tremendous agony. I remember in particular a video taken by a road, of a bear eating a moose. That moose was 100% alive and kicking, moving his head, trying to stand, but his scalp was all flayed, and the bear was just eating him. A well placed shot kills them quickly, and nothing is wasted.

I am perhaps not in favor of shooting wild cats, but for all I know, their populations must be controlled too, I don't know anything about it, but yeah it seems iffy.

But with the bucks, wildebeest, impala and stuff, it's not like these are endangered. I have a friend who's entire family hunts, and their freezers are filled to the brim with moose meat every season, and they eat that shit on everything, pizzas, lasagna whatever. I don't hunt myself, but moose can be massive. I imagine one or two of those can last a family a whole year on meat.

The sum of suffering a wild Eland endured by living freely, and then ending its life at the hands of an accurate hunter is very, very low. It is the BEST outcome it can hope for. The pain and misery of industrial livestock... man, just go to peta and watch one of their videos. It will turn your stomach. Undeniably an evil feature of human civilization.

So yeah, I'm with Hughes on this one, I think people need to realize that just because we have iPads, we still eat meat, and respectful hunting is not particularly cruel.
10/26/12 6:36 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Edited: 10/26/12 6:38 PM
Steve4192 - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 

2nd.

I hate to break it to you, but the bible is pretty clear on the subject .... animals were put on this earth for man to use however he sees fit.  In biblical terms, they are no different than a field of wheat or a forest of trees.  They are on this earth to serve mankind and have no divine purpose beyond that. 

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong.

While the bible clearly endorses hunting, and having livestock, and eating whatever you want, it also clearly advocates treating animals with respect and not killing anything for selfish reasons (whether human or not).

Killing for pleasure/sport is not treating animals with the respect that the bible asks for.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

Proverbs 12:10

"The multitude of your sacrifices- what are they to me?" says the LORD. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats."

Isaiah 1:11

“Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?” 

Matthew 6:26

10/26/12 6:38 PM
LucasBTiger
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His kid shot a fuckin rare horse. "Hey look, something moved... Pull the trigger." Phone Post
10/26/12 6:40 PM
Hostile
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, hunting is a skilled art, nothing wrong with taking pride on what he was just able to harvest. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:40 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Steve4192 - 
Media Monster - 

FOR FOOD!

Kill it, Eat it = Cool

Kill it, Hang it on the wall & Facebook tag it = Not Cool

You left something out in the second option.

Kill it, DONATE MEAT, Hang it on the wall and Facebook tag it = Not cool

People are eating the animal either way.  Why does it matter who eats it?

Taking the life of anything for pleasure = not cool

The meat being put to use is a side effect. Matt is not hunting for the food. (in this case, or the bobcat) I realize he does also hunt for his food, which is fine. It is taking pleasure in killing things that is not acceptable to me.

10/26/12 6:42 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Othello - 
Hostile -  I can care less about the whole "bible" element and personally I'm not a Matt Hughes fan.... However, he is hunting, so unless you are a complete vegetarian then you have no say on the matter as long as he is not poaching.
Every time YOU eat a steak, fish, chicken etc etc you are too killing a animal, the only difference is that you paid someone else to KILL IT for YOU!

The argument of legally and sustainable harvesting of meat by the way of "hunting" is simply pointless. Phone Post

The difference is Matt Hughes took pictures of himself enjoying the act of hunting. Everyone else would rather sit on their moral high horses stuffing their fat faces with McD's burgers and shit all over people that enjoy hunting... because OMG it's wrong to pay money to hunt!!!!!!

It's not "OMG it's wrong to pay money to hunt" at all. Why is this so difficult to grasp. Money is of little importance. It is that someone finds PLEASURE in taking the life of something else.

10/26/12 6:43 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

I love watching people vote me down in threads like this over my OPINION. Way to use that system properly...lol

10/26/12 6:43 PM
SonofJockstrap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The money he spends to go on Safari and kill this animals helps feed people and puts money in the hands of people who could use it. How is this even a question? It's not like he could fly the meat back. I'm sure when he goes hunting in Iowa he takes his kill to a butcher. 

10/26/12 6:44 PM
blue_tape_39
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So "thou shalt not kill" applies only to humans? Phone Post
10/26/12 6:50 PM
JOB
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah Hughes - slavery is OK in the bible too - What's your fucking point? Killing animals for food, I can understand. Killing animals for fun is odious.
10/26/12 6:51 PM
lurkingveteran
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As discussed before:

Reality

Eating meat GREAT
Hunting to eat GREAT
Hunting endangered species BAD
Hunting non endangered species MATTER OF OPINION but i think fine if meat is going to use.

Problem is hunting animals seen as "cute" freaks people out as it does also to me and its understandable from a psychological perspective but morally killing a cute little leopard or an ugly fat bison should be same IF neither meat is eaten and if neither is endangered.

Society:

Hunting ugly stuff GOOD
Hunting cute stuff BAD

Bottom line, personally having spent time w Randy And Matt... Randy is a great guy and Matt is not. So i got no problem with him getting stick.

Majority UG Psychology

Hunting for fun MATTER OF OPINION
Hunting cute stuff for fun BAD
Hunting cute stuff that looks endangered for fun V BAD
Matt Hughes hunting cute stuff that looks endangered for fun WORST

Trying to use the Bible as justification for the above is pretty weak imo, u should be able to discuss something without going to ur religion for back up. We have seen through history how various believers in different religions using literal justification of their religious texts can become a disaster. Intellect, logic and morality should be the true explanations of something. Phone Post
10/26/12 6:55 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Edited: 10/26/12 6:55 PM
JOB - Yeah Hughes - slavery is OK in the bible too - What's your fucking point? Killing animals for food, I can understand. Killing animals for fun is odious.

Great comparison good sir. Love to see someone justify slavery as acceptable too because of the bible...lol

10/26/12 6:56 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Othello - 
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up - 
Othello - 
Hostile -  I can care less about the whole "bible" element and personally I'm not a Matt Hughes fan.... However, he is hunting, so unless you are a complete vegetarian then you have no say on the matter as long as he is not poaching.

The difference is Matt Hughes took pictures of himself enjoying the act of hunting. Everyone else would rather sit on their moral high horses stuffing their fat faces with McD's burgers and shit all over people that enjoy hunting... because OMG it's wrong to pay money to hunt!!!!!!

It's not "OMG it's wrong to pay money to hunt" at all. Why is this so difficult to grasp. Money is of little importance. It is that someone finds PLEASURE in taking the life of something else.

Yeah we get it... it's cool to take pleasure in eating that fat little piggy that someone else killed for you..... but doing the actual killing is despicable!!!

Yeah, clearly you DON'T get it so you can stop with the invalid comparisons.

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.