UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Have not won a match since I got my bluebelt.

10/26/12 6:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jitz93
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Have entered 2 Tournaments and have not won a match since I got my bluebelt almost a year ago. Is it normal for it to take a wile before you start doing well in competition after getting promoted?
10/26/12 7:23 PM
matthias
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How often did you win as a white belt? Phone Post
10/26/12 7:38 PM
mister_sticks
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fills me with confidence lol. I am planning to compete the first time as a blue since getting it in July. And I never competed as a white... Phone Post
10/26/12 7:44 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue belts tend to have anywhere from 1 year of grappling experience to 6 years of grappling experience. It's perfectly normal to lose to someone who is 6 times more experienced as you are.

Competition experiance also greatly varies. It's also perfectly normal to lose to someone that has more competition experience than you.

In fact, at a blue belt level, it's typically the strongest, most athletic, most game competitor that wins.

Don't sweat it. Just keep training. Just keep competing.
10/26/12 8:38 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got promoted to blue in April. Competed in May, June, and September without getting a win. finally though, 2 weeks ago I competed and picked up my first win as a blue. Felt good. Phone Post
10/26/12 8:40 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just keep at it. I know I will continue getting schooled in competition but that keeps me hungry and eager to learn and motivated to compete more. Phone Post
10/26/12 9:59 PM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good luck,its just a matter of time,you will catch a new blue in the 1st rd sooner or later

10/26/12 10:50 PM
skkrocks
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't worry about it. Took me over a year but I did pretty well after that Phone Post
10/27/12 12:08 AM
CompanyBlue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing abnormal bout u losing. Keep ur head up
10/27/12 12:35 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't compete at all as a white belt and only this year as a 4 stripe blue I did 2 comps and officially 0-2 (subbed both times)... Kinda sucks to not have won... i can tap blue belts in class so i know i wasn't the worst blue belt ever... Just got my purple belt last week ... I doubt I'll compete again considering my past performances.. But who knows?? I read that some people didn't get "good" til black belt... Maybe that'll be me one day Phone Post
10/27/12 4:09 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a lot more grip fighting and it's less strength with more technique. Went against a few 3 stripers recently and it was certainly more challenging. I spent 2 years competing at white so maybe that makes a difference. Keep your head up, I wish you good luck sir. Phone Post
10/27/12 7:18 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many white/blue belts have prior grappling experience. I see white/blue belts with 5/6 years of wrestling (jr high/h/s and some college). Some have judo backgrounds who are swirching to BJJ. White/Blue belts can be up to 2-3 years in each belt level and more for blue. The belt level is misleading as to the skill set of the individuals. Keep competing and training and your efforts will eventually pay off with wins.
10/27/12 9:02 AM
FaceToFace
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a horrible competition record as a blue. I was never out of a match but had a nack for losing most of them. Never took gold...best I managed was silver. I got my purple this year and took gold in my 2nd tournament. My goal is to one day be a good, competitive BLACK belt...what I do now doesn't really matter to me as long as I continue to get better and closer to reaching my goal.

10/27/12 4:47 PM
El Refe
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Felipe Costa never did good in competition until black belt.

Keep at it. Phone Post
10/27/12 5:07 PM
Jitz93
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually did really well as a white belt. My 1st 2 tournaments i tapped everybody. I have not done BAD or been SMASHED as a bluebelt, I just make dumb mistakes and end up losing the match at the end. IDK, I just feel like the skill levels in Blue belt vary a lot.
10/27/12 5:12 PM
Jitz93

Here are some of my whitebelt matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCeRpS_bNBc&list=UUzP5xQ9pQR5RxrZ8yHV-F2g&index=56&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFgmeA_RoM&list=UUzP5xQ9pQR5RxrZ8yHV-F2g&index=58&feature=plcp

10/27/12 5:16 PM
Jitz93

And here is a bluebelt match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcJW7KCTYU
10/27/12 6:13 PM
SupaflyWeight

I won two local tournaments as a White Belt, Lost at the Pan-Am's and have not competed yet as a blue belt. I more more MMA oriented so I havent been training the Gi as much.

But I notice in training that there are huge differences between each Blue Belt. Some I am able to submit in a minute or so and theres a couple I have not yet submitted, ever.

Like previously said by others, there are many levels as a blue belt. You could face someone whos been training for a year, or eight years, you just never know.

But keep up the training and stay motivated and it will all work out.

Osssss!
10/27/12 6:14 PM
SupaflyWeight

I won two local tournaments as a White Belt, Lost at the Pan-Am's and have not competed yet as a blue belt. I more more MMA oriented so I havent been training the Gi as much.

But I notice in training that there are huge differences between each Blue Belt. Some I am able to submit in a minute or so and theres a couple I have not yet submitted, ever.

Like previously said by others, there are many levels as a blue belt. You could face someone whos been training for a year, or eight years, you just never know.

But keep up the training and stay motivated and it will all work out.

Osssss!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.