UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Why speedos?

10/26/12 9:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigironmike79
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wife was ridiculing me again about being a grown man watching wrestling. Not a big deal. I've accepted my nerdery. But the conversation always comes back to "why do they have to wear underwear while they wrestle". And it always stumps me. I don't really have a clue why. I think this may be one of the main reasons why the wrestling haters hate. So what do u say PWE? Phone Post
10/26/12 9:43 PM
Mike_Souza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

U know what , that's an excellent question. People probably wouldn't give us as much Shit about wrestling if these guys weren't running around in their underwear. Phone Post
10/26/12 10:03 PM
Wee Bey Jr
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cause they have chiseled abs and huge calfs bro, and they wanna show it. Leave the wrestling in tshirts and pants to ugly fat people like road dogg. Phone Post
10/26/12 11:16 PM
Sofa King Cool
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's just one of those old things that never changed.

But yeah, that's weird when you think about it. Phone Post
10/26/12 11:39 PM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with Sofa.

Back in the day it was what wrestlers wore, and it's just never evolved. Shows off the body I guess too for the muscular guys.
10/27/12 12:08 AM
Nuckin Futs
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/27/12 12:09 AM
I'm more bothered by Major League Baseball managers wearing a uniform. No other sport does that. Could you picture Belichick on the sidelines with full gear on?

If your wife persist on wanting to know why they wear speedos and tries to mock you for liking it, just tell her that you never noticed the speedos before. Tell her that you always picture them naked.
10/27/12 12:21 AM
Wee Bey Jr
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - I'm more bothered by Major League Baseball managers wearing a uniform. No other sport does that. Could you picture Belichick on the sidelines with full gear on?

If your wife persist on wanting to know why they wear speedos and tries to mock you for liking it, just tell her that you never noticed the speedos before. Tell her that you always picture them naked.
Either of the Van Gundy bros in a basketball uniform would've been awesome. Phone Post
10/27/12 12:38 PM
torubu
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, when you consider classic catch or hooking, it leaves less to grab on to as a means to gain an advantage. From there it likely just followed the timeline to now. Phone Post
10/27/12 1:34 PM
armbarheelhook
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think wrestling is still steeped in its roots and tradition.. which doesn't bother me.

NBA used to wear high socks and short shorts. With the changing of times and now majority of the guys playing pro being African American (their dress styles have changed to a more baggy long over the yrs), the NBA uniform has evolved. Phone Post
10/27/12 3:38 PM
Nonlinear

it makes it harder to hide weapon and your opponent can't pull your shorts.  

10/28/12 7:04 PM
CauliflowerCouture

During the attitude era there was waaaay less speedos. Now the pg era has everyone in speedos even guys who have not worn them before like Jericho. Phone Post
10/29/12 6:12 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I was a wrestler is wear compression shorts like what GSP wears or what Goldberg wore. Phone Post
10/29/12 6:12 PM
Mudderfaeg
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd* Phone Post
10/29/12 6:19 PM
armbarheelhook
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hacksaw Jim Duggan had to find somewhere to put his chewing tobacco and false teeth.. HO!.. keke :) Phone Post
10/30/12 11:19 AM
dennis5
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder what the history of "trunks" really is. Guys like Gotch, Hackenshimidt, and Ed Lewis always wore traditional singlets.
10/30/12 11:35 AM
dangerboy12
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well trunks were around in early amateur wrestling. Singlets actually came afterward. Pro wrestling was the same way. Trunks or tights very early, then a lot of guys started using singlets.

When bodybuilding started to become popular in the 50's, singlets started to fade away.
10/31/12 2:15 PM
CryLikeAGirl
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've thought about this as well. I can't imagine standing the the middle of the ring in front of 20k people in nothing but a speedo and boots. However, it looks completely normal to me after all these years.
10/31/12 2:19 PM
CryLikeAGirl
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also read that a lot of them wear next to nothing because all the lights pointed at the ring make it very warm. Some probably do it because of their ego as well.
11/1/12 7:54 PM
bigironmike79
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should just leave the ice from hockey under the ring. That way Wrestlers can wear sweat pants and hoodies and i don't have to hear shit from the wife anymore. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.