UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> How do I learn to full squat?

10/26/12 10:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cant do a full squat (olympic Style)

If i try to squat like an asian person, i fall backwards. what do i need to stretch/work on to make this happen?

im not trying to be an weightlifter, but ive realized that this lack of mobility is fucking up some things i want to do with my bjj game
10/26/12 10:23 PM
gusto

when i used to squat, i had to put the bar low and have a very wide stance to get below parallel. i should have fixed this shit years ago but i always opted for work arounds
10/26/12 11:33 PM
banco

Goblet squats, you may also just be using too much weight.
10/26/12 11:41 PM
gusto

banco - Goblet squats, you may also just be using too much weight.

negative on the weight aspect, i cant do it with a broom stick

if i stand on 5lbplates, i can come closer, but that is just a work around

i will look into goblet squats
10/27/12 12:57 AM
SesameTako
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are your feet pointing straight forward? Let them point out at a 10 and 2. It might help with depth. Phone Post
10/27/12 1:08 AM
gusto

SesameTako -  Are your feet pointing straight forward? Let them point out at a 10 and 2. It might help with depth. Phone Post

i actual had to do that with pl squats (also a work around, im curious how to do i right) normally, i would just do with really light weight, but i cannot even do it with zero weight
10/27/12 4:08 AM
mkou
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/joe-defrancos-agile-eight-lower-body-warm-up-/

That's a simple mobility workout for lower body that you can do daily.
10/27/12 5:30 AM
Tilla

Flexibility, Practice & Confidence ;-)
10/27/12 10:18 AM
SidRon
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - 
banco - Goblet squats, you may also just be using too much weight.

negative on the weight aspect, i cant do it with a broom stick

if i stand on 5lbplates, i can come closer, but that is just a work around

i will look into goblet squats

Doing it with a broomstick is harder than doing it with a weighted bar because the weighted bar helps push you down into the stretch. Try using a 95-135 lb barbell and concentrate and try to go low and slow on every rep. Don't add weight until you are going all the way down.
10/27/12 11:27 AM
ryanJ
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mkou - http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/joe-defrancos-agile-eight-lower-body-warm-up-/

Thanks for this...

10/27/12 12:54 PM
gusto

mkou - http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/joe-defrancos-agile-eight-lower-body-warm-up-/

thnks man
10/27/12 11:27 PM
UGCTT croy_00
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might sound stupid but I was able to get results by squatting in a fixed rack. Meaning the bar was attached to the rack via vertical slides. I was then able to get over my mental block that was telling me I couldn't go any lower as it does not feel comfortable. After getting my confidence up I was able to go to a regular squat rack.

Good Luck!
10/28/12 2:47 AM
JFlash916

Practice front squats.. U will be able to squat lower with no problem. Try less weight until u get the form correct Phone Post
11/2/12 9:12 AM
vermonter
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A good gauge over time of where you're at is with an empty bar overhead squat. It will make your mobility and flexibility issues more apparent, and give you something to work on. If you can do a full overhead squat the full ROM on a back squat will be easy.
11/3/12 11:12 PM
ChickenSalad

for what it's worth my hips are more than flexible to do an ass-to-grass squat, but my calves and Achilles tendons are too tight to allow it without widening my stance and holding on to something (or holding a weight waaaay out in front of me).
11/3/12 11:27 PM
gusto

ChickenSalad - for what it's worth my hips are more than flexible to do an ass-to-grass squat, but my calves and Achilles tendons are too tight to allow it without widening my stance and holding on to something (or holding a weight waaaay out in front of me).

i think it is my achilles/ankles. my hips are pretty flexible from playing guard. fwiw, i can sit in that lotus pose and walk around on my hands to make my 2 year old laugh.
11/4/12 6:02 PM
FatFrenchFry
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - 
ChickenSalad - for what it's worth my hips are more than flexible to do an ass-to-grass squat, but my calves and Achilles tendons are too tight to allow it without widening my stance and holding on to something (or holding a weight waaaay out in front of me).

i think it is my achilles/ankles. my hips are pretty flexible from playing guard. fwiw, i can sit in that lotus pose and walk around on my hands to make my 2 year old laugh.

I've got the same issue and it's the lack of flexibility in my achilles.
11/7/12 3:31 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When teaching the squat, I always told my clients to tense their entire body, and think of it as a butt exercise to facilitate learning to "sit back" and engage the hips properly.
11/7/12 6:21 PM
Ham and Egger
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been squatting for a while and I would still like to get professional help on my form. Its a skill for sure.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.