UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Strongman/TME

10/27/12 4:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I happen to be a rather large individual, and I also like to compete in powerlifting. I've recently taken a bit of a liking to strongman competetition. Now strongman requires a lot of very specific implements. Im pretty handy with a welding torch and whatnot and Ive been considering building a few apparatus. I built a farmers walk out of an old ford rear axle that was cut in half. Now I love this farmers walk, convince me why I should attempt to build a yoke and some atlas stones? School me on what strongman will really do for me.
10/28/12 4:04 AM
UnbreakableT
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoke should be easy, I love watching strongman but got a bulged disc so can't do. I think they make the logs for shoulder presses out of like a 12" pipe n cut out some holes in it n put in handles in. That's kinda the beauty of strongman is they don't need world class equip, one time in like the 96 wsm they were just carrying a rock for dist. In one of the events Phone Post
10/28/12 6:13 PM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood -  Buy and old yellow school bus. Tie a big fat rope and pull it for 100metres. Phone Post

Im gonna pass, as all of my equipment has to fit in my garage...more specifically my half of the garage because my truck will be fine outside but my wife still has to park her car in there.

In regards to the yoke, it will be easy to make I think, but not so easy to make well. I think Im gonna start with a husefel stone first. Im thinking hollow steal plates welded together at the seams with soem kind of hole at the top so I can add sand to it to increase weight. Marshall White uses one shaped like a coffin thats pretty sweet, I may try and immitate it.
11/4/12 8:03 AM
moabwarrior
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bales,
If Nathan Ball is still in the area he does SM and has all the equipment ( atlas stones, chains , yolk, FW. Anything you need.) I trained with him for a while. Very knowledgable guy. Phone Post
11/5/12 8:43 AM
SmasherSnu

moabwarrior -  Bales,
If Nathan Ball is still in the area he does SM and has all the equipment ( atlas stones, chains , yolk, FW. Anything you need.) I trained with him for a while. Very knowledgable guy. Phone Post

Can't find him on facebook or google. Do you have any contact info? Im not in JC anymore, my wife and I bought a house in knoxville, but if you or him know if anyone in the knoxville area that would be great.
11/5/12 1:00 PM
moabwarrior

Ill ask Jeremiah and let you know Phone Post
11/6/12 3:31 AM
SmasherSnu

moabwarrior -  Ill ask Jeremiah and let you know Phone Post

Thanks broseph.
11/6/12 3:34 AM
SmasherSnu

moabwarrior -  Ill ask Jeremiah and let you know Phone Post

Also, I tried to PM you but I guess since Im not a pro member I can't PM fighters. What gym is Jeremiah teaching at here in k town? My wife was interested in some kick boxing classes and it would be nice to send her to someone I know.
11/6/12 7:47 AM
moabwarrior

Look for team chaos. Josh cates school. Tell him were buddy's and he will take care of you. Phone Post
11/6/12 7:57 AM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 7:59 AM
He can change his settings to accept your PM.

Personally, i say go for it. If i had more space i'd do a lot more strongman type lifting exercising. Concentric only, high effort, high rep lifting is great for making a man into an ox. I love the idea of the type of strength and effort required... there's a reason why people are fascinated with the events.

When i had more space for a time i made up my own shit. Did a wheel barrow instead of farmers walk (i like it better, and had no plans to compete)... loaded it with enough weight to make the tire half flat (i think it was only like 370, but the half flat tire really made me work) and did laps around my half of the garage.

I also took a thick chain of about 20 feet in length and whipped for as many reps as i could sufficient to move all 20 feet. Now this is obviously no strongman exercise, but it's the same type of lifting as i mentioned before. Concentric in every direction, high rep, and high effort. I only did one set a day and it would absolutely annihilate my whole upper body.

The only other exercise i did at the time was rafter pullups and after just a month I had made some very noticeable gains in strength and size.

Love this shit. Do it!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.