UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How good is Galvao's defense?

10/27/12 4:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Calhoon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/27/12 8:53 AM

After watching the Gracie Breakdown Ryron and Renner gave on the Galvao/Ryron match, I've considered the possibility that the top sports stars might have a huge hole in their game when it comes to defense because they don't train to survive.

I am really concerned for Galvao's poor students who will never receive proper instruction on how to defend and escape.

What do you guys think? Perhaps Galvao's students can learn their defense online at Gracie University while they learn their offense at Galvao's school?

Any other suggestions for those poor souls who don't even realize their Jiu-jitsu days are numbered?
10/27/12 5:28 AM
Jessy30
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. God that dude must suck. my non-existent 6 yr. old daughter could sub him if she were to start side mounted on galveo. Can we maybe do like a fund raiser for him and his students?? We just can't have someone out there who has won everything who just explodes out of bad positons using no technique. Seriously, that is when he will get caught.R.I.P galveo. you had your time but now your secret has been exposed. Phone Post
10/27/12 6:38 AM
Calhoon

Did you watch the breakdown Jesse? Can you explain something to me? They went off on this tangent of snakes and wings and nature and stuff, I'm not sure. I think one of them was suppose to represent a rattlesnake while the other was suppose to represent a chicken, am I right?
10/27/12 7:00 AM
Jessy30
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes I watched the breakdown...what you are referring to I think comes from the historical documentary "legends of hercules." It is the fearsome 'chickensnake' and is well known for being unstoppable. The chickensnake can only be conquered via mastering Helio (aka EHlio gracie jiu-jitsu which requires being able to be at peace lying on your back no matter the situation. as demonstrated by Grandmaster Ehlio himself and Rorion voiceover in the "Gracie in action" tapes. Phone Post
10/27/12 7:13 AM
Calhoon

Tell me more about this Helio guy. They referred to him several times. He developed the concept of fighting to survive? Renner said I had two options... Fight with a winning mindset like Galvao and win some/lose some or fight with a survival mindset like Helio and never lose. The choice is clear to me, I want to never lose like Helio.
10/27/12 7:23 AM
Jessy30

Not only did helio never lose, he never lost until he was 95. When you prioritize "not winning" in your life you too can make it to a ripe old age without ever winning. If I may make an extra serious point here: If you won't be able to win when you get older you may as well practice the concept of not winning now so that when you actually can't win you are never defeated!! Phone Post
10/27/12 7:29 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jessy30 -  Not only did helio never lose, he never lost until he was 95. When you prioritize "not winning" in your life you too can make it to a ripe old age without ever winning. If I may make an extra serious point here: If you won't be able to win when you get older you may as well practice the concept of not winning now so that when you actually can't win you are never defeated!! Phone Post

Not only did he never lose until he was 95, he was 95 for his whole life!

Bwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhh (inception noise)

Shamamalan Twist!
10/27/12 7:59 AM
pray for japan

who's ever submitted galvao in comp? marcelo, roger, braulio (nogi)... id say those guys would submit 99.999% of all jiujitsu practitioners Phone Post
10/27/12 8:03 AM
Calhoon

JasonGV - 
Jessy30 -  Not only did helio never lose, he never lost until he was 95. When you prioritize "not winning" in your life you too can make it to a ripe old age without ever winning. If I may make an extra serious point here: If you won't be able to win when you get older you may as well practice the concept of not winning now so that when you actually can't win you are never defeated!! Phone Post

Not only did he never lose until he was 95, he was 95 for his whole life!

Bwwaaahhhhhhhhhhhh (inception noise)

Shamamalan Twist!

Daaaaaaaang!

That's deep yo.

Look guys, I know we have been keeping it playful but let's get back to a serious issue.

GALVAO'S STUDENTS CAN'T SURVIVE!

Let's start a petition requesting free Gracie University access to all of Galvao's students. They need to learn what Andre can't teach them. Lets put some wings on them rattlesnakes.
10/27/12 11:59 AM
chitownbjj
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's only one way to settle this...old-school Shaw brothers Kung-fu style!!!

Galvao and Ryron will need to go out and pick one student each and develop them in their respective styles from scratch. Then have the students go up against each other at Metamoris 5!!

From the movie 'Odd Couple'

King of the Spear vs King of the Sword
http://youtu.be/L8uNRIk7Er4

Their Students facing off after having been trained by their masters
http://youtu.be/M3Z72u-iZ70

(The cool thing about this movie is that the same actor played both roles, teacher and student. You never see both of their faces on the screen at the same time.) Phone Post
10/27/12 1:27 PM
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Kong Bundy
10/27/12 1:40 PM
joshjitsu

What does it matter if you can't put him in a bad spot?

How good is Cobrinha at getting out of sidemount?

The answer is... Who gives a fuck! You can't pass his guard so what does it matter?? Phone Post
10/27/12 2:46 PM
Calhoon

Edited: 10/27/12 2:48 PM
joshjitsu - 

What does it matter if you can't put him in a bad spot?

How good is Cobrinha at getting out of sidemount?

The answer is... Who gives a fuck! You can't pass his guard so what does it matter??

If Galvao has a lack of defense or poor technique when it comes to escapes he needs to fix those issues now because one day he will be 80 and he won't be able to prevent the world class competitors from passing his guard like he does now. He really needs to think about that.

Did you even watch Ryron break it down for us?
10/27/12 5:04 PM
BigEyedFish

Edited: 10/28/12 3:19 PM
not that Im anything special but I couldnt do fuck all to Andre when I rolled with him

Sometimes tell the tale. Andre is usually an aggressive top player and Ryron is the passive, traditional, keep it playful type so its kind of par for the course that we saw the match unfold the way it did. I would have killed for an extra 10 minutes to watch that match.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.