UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Hill vs. Secor judges should lose job

10/27/12 11:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During this week's TUF Michael Hill and Matt Secor were set for a grudge match - the two had had words the previous episode.

“I called out Secor because he’s been starting a lot of trash talking," said Hill. " Secor called me a girl.  He called me a thief."

“I like this fight,” said Secor. “This is obviously the fight I’ve been preparing for. I think I have a very good chance of implementing my game plan and seeing it through and getting the victory.”

The game plan Secor was referring to was to take it to the ground, where Secor's jiu-jitsu skills could be used to full effect. Hill's plan was simpler - knock Secor out.

The fight was lackluster, with Hill arguably having an edge in the first round, and Secor clearly taking the second. The overtime round was in the eyes of all but three people won by Secor. Unfortunately, the two people that saw it Hill's way were judges. The other was Hill himself.

Secor took the loss in stride.

“I won," said Secor. "Anyone that watches that fight is going to say I won. I’m not taking anything from Michael Hill. He won. He deserves it. I lost for a reason. God only knows why but I’m just going to come back and work even harder.”

UFC President Dana White however was incensed, with all of it.

“That first round would probably have to go down as one of the s------- rounds in TUF history,” said White.  “One punch was thrown by each guy and then a bunch of lying around.”

"The first round, maybe they didn't hear me say, 'This is two five-minute rounds.' This is a fight! You've got two f------ rounds to win this fight! At the end of the first round, I gave Matt that round. They said to me, 'No, no, no, mike won that round.' I wouldn't argue it. Second round, if you don't give that round to Matt... I don't know what you're doing. There was no doubt who won that round.

"[3rd Round] nobody is fighting with a sense of urgency! Nobody is fighting like they want to f------ win. Are you on summer vacation right now did you come here to win this show, become the ultimate fighter, make it into the UFC, and become champion someday? Why did you come here? This isn't f------ summer camp!"

If White was unimpressed with the fight, the judging was worse.

"That is f------ beyond comprehension. The judges handed me the piece of paper and I was like, you have to be f------ kidding me," said White. "If that doesn’t keep somebody from judging ever again, nothing should.  I had a hard time walking up there and reading the scores. Even the blue team is pissed about the outcome of this fight.

"The Nevada State Athletic Commission should be embarrassed."

Read entire article...

10/27/12 11:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fabes
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

Secor won that fight. No doubt about it.

10/27/12 12:25 PM
cool hand Ed
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was shocked. Secor won. I'd love to have a conversation with the judges who saw it differently.
10/27/12 12:32 PM
tdunning
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really think the judges gave it to Matt because Secor had his back for the whole overtime, but was content with having superior positioning. He wasn't throwing punches, and there was some hand fighting but he didn't commit to any submission attempts. I think it was pure spite for that
10/27/12 12:33 PM
Bruce_Buffer_fan
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a vid of this fight around at all?
10/27/12 12:39 PM
westside
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should have called it a draw then called them both a taxi and sent them the fuck home after that shit. Phone Post
10/27/12 12:40 PM
westside
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce_Buffer_fan - Is there a vid of this fight around at all?
Grab a pair of socks, draw a nipple tattoo on one and lay them on the floor. Stare for 15 minutes. Boom, you just saw the fight. Phone Post
10/27/12 12:49 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - I really think the judges gave it to Matt because Secor had his back for the whole overtime, but was content with having superior positioning. He wasn't throwing punches, and there was some hand fighting but he didn't commit to any submission attempts. I think it was pure spite for that

Could you point to the "spite" section of the Unified Rules Scorinfg Criteria?

That is a silly way to justify it.

10/27/12 12:51 PM
Bruce_Buffer_fan
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

westside - 
Grab a pair of socks, draw a nipple tattoo on one and lay them on the floor. Stare for 15 minutes. Boom, you just saw the fight. Phone Post

lol.

A tattoo of a nipple, or a tattoo on a nipple.
10/27/12 12:51 PM
sleepybear70
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tdunning - I really think the judges gave it to Matt because Secor had his back for the whole overtime, but was content with having superior positioning. He wasn't throwing punches, and there was some hand fighting but he didn't commit to any submission attempts. I think it was pure spite for that

I have to agree....it seems they punished Secor for avoiding the fight through superior grappling.....
10/27/12 12:52 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Needs to be a committee who reviews questionable decisions and has the judges there to answer questions as to why they scored the way they did and be held accountable for there actions.,, the whole country was in an uproar over the Nfl Monday night call in Seattle ... It was on GMA for Christ sake... Players,coaches and refs alike said it was garbage call.... We need more vocalization from every member of the MMA Community and we definitely need a regulatory board that handles these things!

Highway Robbery Phone Post
10/27/12 12:57 PM
sleepybear70
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

last nights fight was the first one I've seen this season.....what a stinker!!!
bruised
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_El Pescadero - Needs to be a committee who reviews questionable decisions and has the judges there to answer questions as to why they scored the way they did and be held accountable for there actions.,, the whole country was in an uproar over the Nfl Monday night call in Seattle ... It was on GMA for Christ sake... Players,coaches and refs alike said it was garbage call.... We need more vocalization from every member of the MMA Community and we definitely need a regulatory board that handles these things!

True. The judging really is the largest issue facing MMA. Phone Post
Virginio
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed - I was shocked. Secor won. I'd love to have a conversation with the judges who saw it differently.
Here's how that conversation would go:

Cool Hand Ed: Can either of you who saw this fight for Hill tell me what persuaded you to give him the decision?

NSAC Judges: derp de derp derp dddduuuhh... *Drools on own crotch* Phone Post
10/27/12 12:58 PM
westside

Bruce_Buffer_fan - 
westside - 

lol.

A tattoo of a nipple, or a tattoo on a nipple.

Draw a nipple and then draw a tattoo around it. 

10/27/12 1:02 PM
sleepybear70

UGCTT_El Pescadero -  Needs to be a committee who reviews questionable decisions and has the judges there to answer questions as to why they scored the way they did and be held accountable for there actions.,, the whole country was in an uproar over the Nfl Monday night call in Seattle ... It was on GMA for Christ sake... Players,coaches and refs alike said it was garbage call.... We need more vocalization from every member of the MMA Community and we definitely need a regulatory board that handles these things!

I agree.....and I would like to add that the judges should be tested on whether they can point out the fighters on the scorecards
10/27/12 1:05 PM
Virginio
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/27/12 1:10 PM
<blockquote>Hawkeye02 - Although I did score the final round for Secor, it's just as easy to give to Hill. Hill threw more strikes. Hill tried to improve position on the ground. And Hill stuffed the first takedown.</blockquote>

Hi Cecil!
10/27/12 1:14 PM
Izzyxtwo

That was pure control and actively looking for the RNC. That is a textbook 10-9 for Secor and exactly what he did in the 2nd round to get that round too.

How are they not scored the exact same way by the same judges...mind blowingly bad judging. Their names should be put out there for all of us to know.
10/27/12 1:17 PM
sleepybear70

Izzyxtwo - That was pure control and actively looking for the RNC. That is a textbook 10-9 for Secor and exactly what he did in the 2nd round to get that round too.

How are they not scored the exact same way by the same judges...mind blowingly bad judging. Their names should be put out there for all of us to know.

whats crazy is these clowns might have given the first round to Secor and the 2nd and 3rd to Hill
10/27/12 1:18 PM
Voodoo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NSAC should be embarrassed by those judges last night. Phone Post
10/27/12 4:19 PM
Joe Sons nuts

Fabes - 

Secor won that fight. No doubt about it.

No one won that fight.
10/27/12 4:26 PM
kevsh
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Secor had position for the majority of the 3rd but did nothing. As in NOTHING. You could argue "Octagon control" but any type of offense seems to score better, and Hill threw about 4-5 punches near the end - far more than anything Secor did.

Another way to look at it is a good lesson for MMA fighters: You can't just hold a guy down for 4-5 minutes, you have to actually do something. A win for fans who boo during lay-and-pray fights, if only judges were consistent in calling it.
10/27/12 4:31 PM
BushidoAristotle
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The judges of the fight were:

Junichiro Kamijo, Adalaide Byrd and Cecil Peoples.

Take you're guess which two picked Hill over Secor.
10/27/12 4:34 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heard Dana called it like one of the worst fights in TUF history. What Happened? Phone Post
10/27/12 4:38 PM
BaraoKix

Edited: 10/27/12 6:57 PM

Worst fight on TUF in years!

Both guys showed they are nowheres near UFC level...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.