UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Rolled Up - Marcelo Garcia

10/28/12 5:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TalkShowOnMute
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/28/12 5:59 PM

For anyone that might have missed it..Part 1 and 2 below.

Source:  http://www.budovideos.com/online/shows/rolledup/rolled-up-episode-36-marcelo-garcia/

10/28/12 5:57 PM
TalkShowOnMute
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Part 1
10/28/12 5:58 PM
TalkShowOnMute

Part 2
10/28/12 6:39 PM
TalkShowOnMute

I was surprised to hear Marcelo say that (Paraphrasing)

It is not always important to practice and make everything equal on both sides...if you trained both sides to be equal you will likely not have enough time and end up with two bad sides..

It's ok to have a strong side and work techniques, make them strong, on that side. develop others on the other side.

When training, doing everything on both sides always seemed like the right thing but it makes sense when Marcelo says it like that.
10/28/12 6:46 PM
omoplautistic
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got the brand of black belt I have in part because of Marcelo. Now, I will practice my strong side, and buy a sweet vest. Phone Post
10/28/12 7:18 PM
Soulroller
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omoplautistic - I got the brand of black belt I have in part because of Marcelo. Now, I will practice my strong side, and buy a sweet vest. Phone Post
Don't forget to get a Bianchi super pista as well ;) Phone Post
10/28/12 7:34 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul said the same thing about Marcello's back series -- that he works to one side and simply has a few techniques to get you to that side.

Makes sense.

As a counterpoint, I'm not a huge comp guy (anymore), so the fun part of BJJ for me as I get older is finding ways to make things easy. One of those things is picking an opponent's weak side (ie: pass to the right). Forcing the game to my strong side doesn't seem as 'fun' as finding a weakness and flowing through it -- in this case, a weak side on my opponent.

Good butterfly sweep to the right, but sucks to the left? Uh ohhhhh!

Not only is it fun, I feel it makes me a more useful, if annoying, training partner.
But if I were competing, I'd subscribe to the judo "Do a very few things very well" approach, which jives with what Marcello says.
10/28/12 8:47 PM
CompanyBlue
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TalkShowOnMute - I was surprised to hear Marcelo say that (Paraphrasing)

It is not always important to practice and make everything equal on both sides...if you trained both sides to be equal you will likely not have enough time and end up with two bad sides..

It's ok to have a strong side and work techniques, make them strong, on that side. develop others on the other side.

When training, doing everything on both sides always seemed like the right thing but it makes sense when Marcelo says it like that.

Almost every black belt I've heard speak on this subject says to get good at one side, have a dominant side.
10/28/12 9:14 PM
JRockwell
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since I decided to follow this advice (at least when it comes to chokes from the back), my finishing percentage has increased exponentially.  People know what's coming as opposed to keeping them guessing, but they have a much harder time stopping it, as my timing and gripfighting sequences have had so many more reps put into them.

10/28/12 9:25 PM
Marion Cobretti
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's like playing basketball.. Need to be able to go to both sides off the dribble to keep the defender honest.

I power pass to the left step back pass to the right. Phone Post
10/29/12 12:09 AM
Randy Marsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
10/29/12 8:09 AM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best episode yet. Phone Post
10/29/12 9:25 AM
joelovesfishin
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joshjitsu -  Best episode yet. Phone Post

I agree that was the best episode.

I found it interesting that he trains Gi and No Gi at about 50/50% of the time.

My MGinAction Tutorial: http://tinyurl.com/d78pavw

HOW TO FILLET A FISH: http://www.youtube.com/user/joelovesfishin?feature=mhsn

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.