UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rebney: Lombard got 400k signing bonus

10/28/12 6:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said that Bellator has made free agent Eddie Alvarez an offer, and that if he accepts it, he stays in the Bellator fold. If he doesn't, Rebney will allow him to bypass the remaining 70+ days of the exclusive negotiating period and take his talents to the open market, where he will no doubt be MMA's hottest commodity.

If that happens, Rebney expects the situation to resolve itself quickly as the UFC is likely to swoop in with an offer, and Bellator will have a chance to match it.

Rebney went through it six months ago with Hector Lombard, who was at the time Bellator's reigning middleweight champion. In that instance, Lombard hit the open market, where he was immediately offered a lucrative deal with the UFC.

Rebney said that contract, which according to him paid Lombard a $400,000 signing bonus, a $300,000 starting purse per fight and pay-per-view participation points, was cost-prohibitive from Bellator's standpoint.

If the UFC came in with a similar offer for Alvarez, it is believed that would make him the highest-paid 155-pounder in the UFC.

Read entire article...

10/28/12 7:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BispingsBritishWrasslin
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ those ridiculous figures

why would you pay Lombard that much to stand around and lose to Boetsch
10/28/12 7:18 PM
Pat Giles
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BispingsBritishWrasslin - lol @ those ridiculous figures

Then he gets cut, crawls back to bellator and is marketed as a fighter who couldn't cut it in the UFC. Win win. Phone Post
10/28/12 7:21 PM
HenryO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boetsch and Palhares arent exactly two fights to make someone look good
10/28/12 7:28 PM
JimGordon

Alvarez will flop Phone Post
10/28/12 7:29 PM
inf0
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's ok, Boetsch will soon be known as the contender rear-ender.... Next on the barbarrian chopping block is Weidman.

10/28/12 7:48 PM
mcpeepants232003

BispingsBritishWrasslin - lol @ those ridiculous figures

yeah because the Ufc employs nostradamus and knew that's how the fight would turn out. Troll or just stupid?
10/28/12 7:49 PM
thebasher

he's no ambassador for Australia
10/28/12 7:50 PM
GlossyMike

That sounds like co/main event money to me. After another loss will Hector really be on that level? I guess if you pay for hype then that's a different story. (yes I know of his former streak) Also, can anyone mention any successful Belator > UFC transitions happening?
10/28/12 7:52 PM
Brian J DSouza

Sounds like Lombard got rewarded because contractually, he had somewhere else to go.

Nothing like business forces to equalize the marketplace.

I wonder what kind of PPV points he gets? Do they kick in if he's a headliner, co-main event, or just on the main event?

Also, hope Eddie Alvarez gets a good deal, but who knows what rights (video game, image, free speech) he'll have to sign away to Zuffa.
10/28/12 7:52 PM
GlossyMike

So is Paul Hogan...just sayin.
10/28/12 7:57 PM
GlossyMike

I think he is just a good Alligator wrestler....
10/28/12 7:57 PM
GlossyMike

can get an alligators back in no time..good transitions...excellent jaw lock.
10/28/12 8:30 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he signs a five fight deal I say he goes 2-3 Phone Post
10/28/12 8:32 PM
CHILLITACO
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure it's true.(higher profile fighters can actually make money you know)

I actually think its poor professionally of bellator to disclose a guys contract when they didn't even win it. Very unprofessional...

Btw Carlo you been posting tity pics in after dark to get vote ups again? Phone Post
10/28/12 8:33 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alvarez loses to lauzon, Maynard, pettis, cerrone and Diaz. So if they want a return on their investment, they shouldn't put him against any of these guys. Phone Post
10/28/12 8:34 PM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's getting Anderson silva money Phone Post
10/28/12 8:38 PM
CHILLITACO
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blupitt - He's getting Anderson silva money Phone Post
Hehe I bet its not even close :) Phone Post
10/28/12 8:40 PM
HELWIG

Damn thats good money for his win list.

10/28/12 9:39 PM
Kings21
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whether those numbers are accurate I'm not sure and not gonna argue but you should probably know that contracts are signed before a fighter fights. The UFC couldnt have had any idea that Lombard was going to put on such a weird performance. Also the rumor is that he was injured pretty good going into that fight. Again whether its true or not I dont know. Point is that contracts are earned based on what you've done, not what its hoped you'll do.
10/28/12 9:40 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in

10/28/12 9:54 PM
smasht

Ossie? You mean Aussie? Phone Post
10/28/12 10:10 PM
Kings21
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
Kings21 - 

Whether those numbers are accurate I'm not sure and not gonna argue but you should probably know that contracts are signed before a fighter fights. The UFC couldnt have had any idea that Lombard was going to put on such a weird performance. Also the rumor is that he was injured pretty good going into that fight. Again whether its true or not I dont know. Point is that contracts are earned based on what you've done, not what its hoped you'll do.

like both his sternums were cracked leading into the Bosche fight, he didnt pull out though, fought like a warrior, unable to train properly or move well, he is too proud for his own good sometimes, didnt want to disappoint the fans that paid big money to see that event.

SuperCalo pullin through with the cold hard facts once again.
10/28/12 11:19 PM
BispingsBritishWrasslin
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo - 
Kings21 - 

like both his sternums were cracked leading into the Bosche fight, he didnt pull out though, fought like a warrior, unable to train properly or move well, he is too proud for his own good sometimes, didnt want to disappoint the fans that paid big money to see that event.

lol @ both of his sternums

gold my friend, gold
10/28/12 11:19 PM
BispingsBritishWrasslin

superCalo - 
Kings21 - 

lol @ both of his sternums

gold my friend, gold

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.