UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Objectives at blue.

10/28/12 8:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Braxmax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been a blue belt for a year now and feel good about my progress. I find myself losing focus during rolling, though. I have a long list of techniques I've been taught but can't seem to remember to use while rolling. This is a little frustrating. I feel like I'm at a plateau of competence where I have my comfortable moves and it's really hard to add to my game. When I finally do add a technique I realize that I've pretty much stopped doing one of my older moves. What kind of gameplan or strategy do you use to force yourself to keep learning without losing older techniques? Also, when should I be concerned with developing my "style"? Phone Post
10/28/12 9:02 PM
Jessy30
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I want to work something new into my game in each roll I will try it two to five times and then forget about it. in each roll. after a night or two. it will either begin to show up naturally in my game in which case I will begin to work in a new set up for it in the same manner, or it won't, I'm which I will ask my professor how I can improve it or what I am doing wrong. then I will drill it briefly and begin the process again. sometimes I realize that a move just is not for me at this time and I move to something else.

in answer to your question regarding "keeping" old techniques...one these have been integrated into your game they wi come and go over time weigh the ebb and flow of your game. As long as you are on the mat you will not really "lose" them.

This is just my process, it works really well for me but I am sure everyone else has their own processes. in time you will develope your own. good luck! Phone Post
10/28/12 11:46 PM
Herbish1
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find my techniques go in cycles. One of my best sweeps is flower or pendulum sweep, it disappeared for a few months, can't really explain it. Then one day it reappeared. I'm thinking because I've been trying to work more subs from guard that the sweeps aren't presenting themselves as clearly as before. Phone Post
10/29/12 1:18 AM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The trick for me is really just muscle memory. If there's a new technique I want into incorporate into my game, I make sure that I take mental or even physical notes so that when I'm practicing the move on a cooperative opponent I don't miss any steps or important details when I'm trying to remember what to do. After getting the technique down, I'll try to test it out during live rolling to see what kind of problems a resisting opponent poses to the technique. From there I make the necessary adjustments to my notes and then I just practice the move until I don't even have to think about the steps anymore, and it just becomes muscle memory. After this happens, I usually don't need to read those notes again, since muscle memory has a much longer duration and much larger capacity than mental memory; this allows me to work on learning other techniques without worrying about forgetting the ones I've already burned into my brain. You'll know you really have a technique down when you subconsciously start doing it, this also allows you to think about your next move since you don't have to focus on the one you're doing. Do that, and you will truly be one step ahead of your opponent. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.