UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Choosing A Martial Arts Gym Location

10/29/12 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TSMontana
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/12 1:26 PM

My MMA school is facing a move from its current location, very shortly. We want to do an analysis of our current metro area, to see where our school would best serve our area (high(er) demand/low(er) competition), before choosing a new area to search for space in. We've been in existance for over 20 years, but the local market for MMA instruction has changed rapidly over the last 5 years, and we don't want to make/keep any assumptions about our market, without a proper analysis. Any of you have any tips/tricks/strategies to do this?
11/4/12 8:06 PM
justin@gosscpa.com
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
I once chatted with an executive from McDonald's about choosing locations. His advice to me was to find the roads where work, home, and school (k-12 and college) converge.

If I was making your decision, I would mark all the business centers, residential areas, and schools on a map and look for the roads that connect them.

You'll probably come-up with a few locations. In order to choose between the locations, consider your competitors. Choose the location without competition, or with the weakest competition.
11/5/12 1:12 AM
TSMontana
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justin@gosscpa.com - I once chatted with an executive from McDonald's about choosing locations. His advice to me was to find the roads where work, home, and school (k-12 and college) converge.

If I was making your decision, I would mark all the business centers, residential areas, and schools on a map and look for the roads that connect them.

You'll probably come-up with a few locations. In order to choose between the locations, consider your competitors. Choose the location without competition, or with the weakest competition.

That is good advice. Thank you, Justin. :-)
11/6/12 3:40 PM
justin@gosscpa.com
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
McDonald's has been really successful at choosing locations... I believe it was Ray Kroc that coined the phrase "Location, location, location." Perhaps you could piggy-back off of McDonald's location strategy by choosing the area with the highest density of McDonald's.

IDK, I'm just throwing out ideas. Just don't become a "McDojo" in the process.
11/6/12 3:47 PM
TSMontana

justin@gosscpa.com - McDonald's has been really successful at choosing locations... I believe it was Ray Kroc that coined the phrase "Location, location, location." Perhaps you could piggy-back off of McDonald's location strategy by choosing the area with the highest density of McDonald's.

IDK, I'm just throwing out ideas. Just don't become a "McDojo" in the process.

No, that was kind of the strategy we are taking. We are also looking at places where active people may congregate. For instance, we are scouting a location right by a exercise/weights gym, trying to capitalize on people who are interested in staying in shape, that is also near some major roads. Major problem with our last location was that it was the only place around within a few miles radius...but it was also hidden from major roads and not by a stable income population (mostly college-age people).

We've been fortunate enough to stay afloat with good, cheap marketing on the Internet, but we know if we were in a better location, our business could at least double within a year.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.