UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Do any of you use Kettlebells?

10/29/12 6:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've recently got into them and they are great!

Any of you use them? What routines do you follow?
10/30/12 11:35 AM
Taku
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope...Don't use them myself.

TAKU

10/30/12 2:00 PM
Tilla

How come, TAK?
10/30/12 5:35 PM
Taku
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/12 11:17 AM

Hey Tilla,

I have played with them on and off, but am not a Kettle Bell guy, and for the most part never bother with them. I am a fitness "atheist" (don't feel that any one tool is above all others). KBs are fine, (I guess) but for the style of training I like to do, I feel I can easily get by without ever using them. Don't feel I am missing out either.

Now, some folks love their KB's and who am I to to tell someone that they should not do something that they love doing? Ultimately (no matter what anyone says) They are just a blob of weight with a handle on one side. No more, no less.

TAKU

P.S. Lol at calling me TAK...isn't my name short enough already?

11/1/12 4:43 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouTube Mike Mahler. The man knows his stuff. Phone Post
11/1/12 11:17 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Mahler, Steve Cotter and Steve Maxwell. The KettleBell Triumvirate.

11/3/12 2:08 PM
Taku

I do H.I.I.T. of some kind or another

Versa-climber

Jump rope

Running stairs (favorite option at the moment)

Rowing ERG

I vary the work to rest ratios and the mode frequently. Currently running up stairs 20 sec A.F.A.P., 20 sec walk slowly 5 minutes on 2 minutes off x 3.

TAKU

11/5/12 8:50 AM
Out To Lunch
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do swings tabata style for conditioning.
12/26/12 6:20 AM
BazUK
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crossfatters do

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/AdamStorms_HS_th.jpg

Baz
12/26/12 8:38 AM
Wiggy
298 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Any of you use them? What routines do you follow?"

That's like saying "Any of you use barbells?  What routines do you follow?"

KBs are a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of different things.  While they are definitely better suited toward some goals than others, they can still be used to accomplish various goals.

That said, you should be worrying less about what kind of routines are "good" for/with KBs, and more about what kind of routines are good for whatever goals it is you want to acomplish.  Then you'll know what direction to go in.

It's like I always say - KBs themselves aren't magical.  And it's not that I'm against KBs - I own a couple and use them regularly.  However, the results people see from KBs *aren't* b/c they're using KBs.  They're more from the routines they're using the KBs on.  Programming/routines are more important than the KBs themselves.  

Goals and where you want to go (from where you're currently at) should dictate your routine and/or how it's applied - not what tools you use.

"Mike Mahler, Steve Cotter and Steve Maxwell. The KettleBell Triumvirate."

IMO, kinda bad advice for a guy who is completely new to KBs.  

All 3 guys totally know their stuff and are *very* good at what they do.  However, all 3 are completely different in their approach and the goals they strive to achieve.  Telling a noob to seek out these 3 guys at the same time when he (seemingly) doesn't know much in the first place would be like telling a kid who just got his first Olympic set to learn about barbell lifting by reading Gayle Hatch, Louie Simmons, and Arthur Jones.  All guys that are experts at what they do, but in totally different lifting universes.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

12/26/12 12:27 PM
shootfighterbull

I'm with TA at the moment. I've used them on and off, but don't really feel their worth is as high as some would rank it. Barbell and dumbell routine with uphill sprints are treating me just fine, thanks. Phone Post
12/26/12 3:49 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mix them in with my training usually about twice a week. I like using them and I feel like they have improved my core strength. I have been lifting weights and doing body weight work for the past 20 years, so I know when my body responds to certain types of training.

I think one of the big values of kettlebells, is if you are using them in timed intervals, not reps, you can really build strength and work your cardio (to a smaller degree)at the same time. Phone Post
12/26/12 7:14 PM
banco

I use kettlebell rows as a substitute for db rows.
12/26/12 7:37 PM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

banco - I use kettlebell rows as a substitute for db rows.

I'm curious how using kbs in a rowing motion is in any way different to using dbs?
12/27/12 3:42 AM
Leigh
956 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I place them on top of each other and do push ups Phone Post
12/27/12 3:47 AM
banco

HULC - 
banco - I use kettlebell rows as a substitute for db rows.

I'm curious how using kbs in a rowing motion is in any way different to using dbs?

Thicker handle makes gripping harder. However the main reason I use them is that I had several adjustable olympic dumbbells that broke when I used them for rowing 100 pounds. So I got a 100 pound kettlbell. Much more convenient.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.