UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How to cut 40 pounds and then go 0-2 at NAGA

10/31/12 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjjudo -  After recently dieting off 14 lbs with no cut in 4 weeks. It annoys me to see people write "cut 40 pounds"

No you stopped eating like shit and lost 25+ pounds of weight, and then cut 15+ in a sauna.

Mike dolce, just recently found out about you and have been altering my diet to fit some of your philosophys on eating/diet. You are a boss sir. Wish I would have found out about you sooner! Looking forward to picking up living lean atm! Phone Post

Exactly right, dieting isn't weight cutting.
10/31/12 3:04 PM
Wovito
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two years of training, competing in the beginner class, disappointed that he didn't get into the class with only three competitors, cutting weight for masters division at NAGA . . . .

Congrats on competing. There are some things you should do differently next time around. Awesome offer from Dolce. I would definitely take him up on his offer under any circumstances, especially if you feel you need to cut weight to compete in a master's division at NAGA.
10/31/12 6:48 PM
TylerA

Gobulcoque - 
T Bag - LOL@ cutting weight for NAGA

Tell us more about how awesome you are. You must have lots of great stories of you competing without cutting weight right?

I do, but I doubt anyone cares to hear how I just recently weighed 162 a couple weeks ago to compete 156-170 division, and won gold in both gi and no-gi... I don't usually cut anything for grappling tournaments.

I really don't understand how this gets 'headline story' status on here. Can one of my experiences become a headline if I write out five pages worth of stuff too?
10/31/12 7:07 PM
youarewhatiswrong
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TylerA - 
Gobulcoque - 

Tell us more about how awesome you are. You must have lots of great stories of you competing without cutting weight right?

I do, but I doubt anyone cares to hear how I just recently weighed 162 a couple weeks ago to compete 156-170 division, and won gold in both gi and no-gi... I don't usually cut anything for grappling tournaments.

I really don't understand how this gets 'headline story' status on here. Can one of my experiences become a headline if I write out five pages worth of stuff too?

Maybe, if you write it well. OP is a MMA.TV official blogger, also, so that helps.
10/31/12 7:07 PM
Joe Lauzon
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twitter, Director of Awesome

I don't think cutting 40 was the best idea, haha... but its a good learning experience for sure. Let's break down the issues you had this week at the gym. 

10/31/12 8:09 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post by OP. Comments by Dolce, Kirik, and Lauzon = winningest thread since the "How Good is Joe Rogan Really" (or whatever it was exactly) thread.
11/1/12 12:00 AM
TheBulgarianAssassin
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TylerA - 
Gobulcoque - 

What skill level?
11/1/12 12:44 AM
TylerA

TheBulgarianAssassin - 
TylerA - 
Gobulcoque - 

What skill level?

Beginner No-gi which was listed as 1-3yr experience(different than NAGA) and white belt. Gi was much tougher for me than no-gi since I just started in the gi again, and haven't been promoted past white belt.

But yes, I guess it does help to be a writer for the website, too, haha... my first NAGA went fairly similar, with me going 0-2 but I didn't cut weight and I had barely been doing jits for six months. That first experience is an eye opener... so is the first MMA fight.
11/1/12 2:14 AM
meenreen
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It gets headline status because he is a good writer and is humble and likeable, like a bjj player should be. You have some sort of complex, aparently, so you get upset when others get attention that you feel that you should be getting.

I have never done NAGA, just ghetto regional BJJ tourneys, but I can totally relate to going in overly-confident and  it all being just a blur.  I go to a very small MMA gym, so I never have anyone cornering me during tourneys, so I was just kind of winging it. I was also a victim of being in a division that didn't have enough competitors (3), so I had to go up against the bigger weight class. I was 163 with some unneeded body fat and had to face guys that cut down to 185. It is such a crazy sport.. It doesn't matter how well you do in class rolling against bigger and better guys, you WILL make mistakes in a pressure situation and the consequences are much greater.

11/1/12 2:53 AM
Humboldt
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach - Jack,

First, I am very proud of you for setting a goal and seeing it through to the end.

Second, with all due respect, WHAT THE HECK kind of weight-cutting and rehydration advise did you get!?!?!!

Certainly, you did not get that from any of my books!

"3 Weeks to Shredded" covers an exact weight-cutting process many UFC veterans have in their gym bags, which details my own 27.8lbs weight-cut in just three weeks. And, "Living Lean" details a life approach to meal planning that will keep you lean while eating amazing, filling and nutritious meals all year long.

I wish you had!!!!

My heart breaks every time I see, read or hear of a story just like yours. A story of sacrifice, discipline and courage while training for weeks on end to reach a dream all to be lost in the last few hours before competition due to a blown weight-cut and rehydration.

Olive Garden?!?!?!?! Didn't you say you eliminated pasta and breads weeks before competition?

As an athlete, your first goal should be health.

My athletes do not sauna, do not suffer, do not starve and do not dehydrate.

Johny Hendricks said it best, "For the first time in my career, as a fighter or a wrestler, I know the best version of myself will show up for competition after following The Dolce Diet." (I began working with Johny prior to his fight with Fitch.)

You don't have to follow my program but please hear my message.

In order to compete at the top of your potential, you must be HEALTHY!

All that said, Jack, send me your address via private message and I'll send you all my books to review.

Hope this helps for NAGA 2013!

All the best,
Mike Dolce
I'm a 40 year old out of shape single father of 2 teenage boys. If he doesn't take you up on it, I will.

Dude, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Take it. You are going to wreck sh!t at your next comp. Phone Post
11/1/12 3:45 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
11/1/12 8:38 AM
chicagosmma
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to add that this is one of the best pieces I have ever read on the UG. Fantastic storytelling!

3/5/13 2:58 PM
ItsMillerTimeinDoBronx
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How did you do string bean?
3/5/13 5:38 PM
Evzey
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread glad this was by bumped Phone Post
3/5/13 6:38 PM
MMARAIDER

Sub Phone Post
3/7/13 9:52 PM
Hammerfister
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/13 8:30 AM

Jack, here.  I didn't make it to the next NAGA.  Injured my knee a few weeks before.  I heard it snap like three stalks of celery while I was fighting out of a heel hook. But I'm hoping to compete in May and I'm training grappling at Lauzon's still.  In the meanwhile, I'm also hoping you're enjoying all my interviews on the UG.  And I'll be writing travel blogs when I go to UFC 158 and 159.  Thanks for reading! 

-Jack Brown, part-time martial artist

3/7/13 10:23 PM
jasonhightower
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/7/13 11:28 PM
Nitecrawler
2075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Later. Phone Post
3/20/13 7:36 PM
Hammerfister
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAGA in May. Need to train!
-Jack Phone Post
3/21/13 10:05 PM
Hammerfister

Still need to get those books from Dolce! Phone Post
3/21/13 10:10 PM
uberpinscher
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strengthcoach - Jack,

First, I am very proud of you for setting a goal and seeing it through to the end.

Second, with all due respect, WHAT THE HECK kind of weight-cutting and rehydration advise did you get!?!?!!

Certainly, you did not get that from any of my books!

"3 Weeks to Shredded" covers an exact weight-cutting process many UFC veterans have in their gym bags, which details my own 27.8lbs weight-cut in just three weeks. And, "Living Lean" details a life approach to meal planning that will keep you lean while eating amazing, filling and nutritious meals all year long.

I wish you had!!!!

My heart breaks every time I see, read or hear of a story just like yours. A story of sacrifice, discipline and courage while training for weeks on end to reach a dream all to be lost in the last few hours before competition due to a blown weight-cut and rehydration.

Olive Garden?!?!?!?! Didn't you say you eliminated pasta and breads weeks before competition?

As an athlete, your first goal should be health.

My athletes do not sauna, do not suffer, do not starve and do not dehydrate.

Johny Hendricks said it best, "For the first time in my career, as a fighter or a wrestler, I know the best version of myself will show up for competition after following The Dolce Diet." (I began working with Johny prior to his fight with Fitch.)

You don't have to follow my program but please hear my message.

In order to compete at the top of your potential, you must be HEALTHY!

All that said, Jack, send me your address via private message and I'll send you all my books to review.

Hope this helps for NAGA 2013!

All the best,
Mike Dolce
Dolce you kick ass man. I use lots of the ideas from living lean over 15 months after reading. Really helped me move more towards a clean diet Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.