UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Injuries hurting ticket sales in Montreal?

10/31/12 9:40 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The comeback of Montreal native and longtime welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was thought to guarantee a first-week sellout when tickets for UFC 154 became available in September for the Nov. 17 card. Instead, less than three weeks before St-Pierre meets interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit to unify the titles, large groups of seats can be found in each of the top-five price ranges, including 14th row on the floor.

Sales to this point for UFC 154 are around 14,000, according to industry sources.

UFC is still expecting a capacity crowd at the Bell Centre. It's just taking a bit longer than anticipated.

UFC director of Canadian operations Tom Wright wonders if it's the result of a year filled with injuries to big-name competitors who were forced to the sidelines.

"There's been many examples over the last several fights - UFC 151 and 149 in Calgary is a good example of it - where fighters got injured and there were changes to the card," said Wright.

"I think there are fans who are saying, 'You know what? I'm really excited about GSP's return and I love the fact that we've got Kampmann versus Hendricks in the co-main event, and we've got a bunch of Canadians on the card. But you know what? I bought my tickets 12 weeks out for Calgary and a whole bunch of things happened. I'm going to wait until it's a little closer.'"

"I absolutely think that you're seeing that. I think you're going to see that going forward."

Still, Wright has no doubts the Bell Centre will be sold out for the return of St-Pierre.

"Absolutely," he said.

Read entire article...

All that said, although UFC 154 was not an instant sellout, neither was the last GSP fight in Montreal, and that one ended up being the second-biggest crowd in UFC history.

10/31/12 9:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FUTA WON (c)
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That and the fact that Dana tweets tickets to each and every event and people hold off to see if they can get freebees Phone Post
10/31/12 9:57 AM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure, Mr. Wright, the reason people are holding off is because they also happened to be in Calgary and got burned there.

How about the more obvious reason? You're TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE AVERAGE FAN.
10/31/12 10:05 AM
Card
2026 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/31/12 10:50 AM

Nov 17 - Montreal, Canada - Bell Centre

Main card:
Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit [ww title]
Martin Kampmann vs. Johny Hendricks
Francis Carmont vs. Tom Lawlor
Cyrille Diabate vs. Chad Griggs
Mark Hominick vs. Pablo Garza
On FX:
Patrick Cote vs. Alessio Sakara
Nick Ring vs. Constantinos Philippou
Sam Stout vs. John Makdessi
Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos
On Facebook:
Antonio Carvalho vs. Rodrigo Damm
Ivan Menjivar vs. Azamat Gashimov
Steven Siler vs. Darren Elkins
Matt Riddle vs. John Maguire
10/31/12 10:11 AM
redrum85
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, too expensive. I'm from Montreal and I would love to go but I don't wanna spend a fortune to get decent tickets and I don't feel like being all the way on top Phone Post
10/31/12 10:14 AM
UGCTT_Winnson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting

10/31/12 10:15 AM
HallmansHammock

I think injuries are hurting ticket sales and interest everywhere.
10/31/12 10:19 AM
Card
2026 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/31/12 10:19 AM

10/31/12 10:23 AM
BigSexy4life

I'm from Montreal....Tickets are too expensive...almost 100$ for the nosebleeds...Aside from the main event (which will probably be a 5 round decision), the card is not that interesting.... Will watch at the bar.
10/31/12 10:35 AM
SC MMA MD
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Stephen Thompson fight is off as well, he just had knee surgery again earlier this week Phone Post
10/31/12 10:55 AM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigSexy4life - I'm from Montreal....Tickets are too expensive...almost 100$ for the nosebleeds...Aside from the main event (which will probably be a 5 round decision), the card is not that interesting.... Will watch at the bar.

UFC are you listening?

You can't charge $300+ for any ticket that's not in the rafters and expect your fans to ante up every time (even once a year).

Your first trips to cities like Montreal and Toronto were huge successes because they were the *first* show for many fans. So $300 was outrageous but they figured, hey, it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

But when you came back expect another quick sellout at the same prices (or more) ... oops. The last UFC show in Toronto had JBJ in the main event and two title shots and still didn't sell out.

So why not scale back your ticket prices a bit so that you're average fan has incentive to go instead of hitting up a bar with friends? And you get to brag about huge sellouts again? Just a thought.
10/31/12 10:58 AM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think that card is very good. Phone Post
10/31/12 11:06 AM
JROTT
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Other than the main and co-main the rest of the card is pretty lame.. And if u disagree, look at this card and compare it to the FOX card in December.. big difference Phone Post
10/31/12 11:41 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The card is awful after the main event and co-main event.

Especially at those prices.

Factor in an injury could mean you get to see Hendricks vs Condit as the main event for the interim title and it's clear that a full year of everything going wrong has had an effect on ticket sales.

If the UFC would get back to building a card instead of one fight and "a bunch of Canadians" it would make it so you are excited to see a few fights rather than only caring about the main event. Phone Post
10/31/12 11:43 AM
evilmonkey666

Edited: 10/31/12 11:46 AM
Double post.
10/31/12 11:43 AM
evilmonkey666

Fans only have so much to spend. We were willing to shell out ridiculous amounts for the first show or two because there was so much anticipation. Even then plenty of people left feeling a bit ripped off, myself included. You can't expect people to be willing to keep spending $600 for a mediocre seat at a mediocre card. As much as they'd like to blame injuries for slumping sales, the fact is those prices are way too high no matter what the card. I'm not willing to spend that much so Dana can buy another Ferrari and give out $10000 tips.
10/31/12 11:58 AM
redeye2000

Canadians grow up with ice hockey. which means lot of action.

GSP vs Condit is the complete opposite. it will be a snoozefest.
10/31/12 12:11 PM
SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I can go see an NFL game, get drunk on stadium beer and pig out on stadium hot dogs and spend less than those tickets. Part of that has to be fees for the arena, since different venues charge different amounts. I'll probably go up there for the access events and then go across the street to the bar district and watch the fights from there, I don't know many people with that kind of money.

10/31/12 12:17 PM
Paradiso

For those interested, there are lots of tickets available below face value on stubhub.

10/31/12 12:21 PM
DESTRO450

The issue is shitty cards. i was at the Montreal events and they were not great because they never had a chance, UFC puts on mid level fights knowing Montreal and Toronto will pack the house everytime regardless. I'm so happy to hear people didnt run out blindly and get tickets for this event.
10/31/12 12:27 PM
Michael Kn1ght

kevsh -
BigSexy4life - I'm from Montreal....Tickets are too expensive...almost 100$ for the nosebleeds...Aside from the main event (which will probably be a 5 round decision), the card is not that interesting.... Will watch at the bar.

UFC are you listening?

You can't charge $300+ for any ticket that's not in the rafters and expect your fans to ante up every time (even once a year).

Your first trips to cities like Montreal and Toronto were huge successes because they were the *first* show for many fans. So $300 was outrageous but they figured, hey, it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

But when you came back expect another quick sellout at the same prices (or more) ... oops. The last UFC show in Toronto had JBJ in the main event and two title shots and still didn't sell out.

So why not scale back your ticket prices a bit so that you're average fan has incentive to go instead of hitting up a bar with friends? And you get to brag about huge sellouts again? Just a thought.
Ttt Phone Post
10/31/12 12:28 PM
rushinbear
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

Why I will never be able to see a live UFC.... :(
10/31/12 12:54 PM
Zaph
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a lot of money for the privilege of watching fights on a big screen with a bunch of strangers and security guards who won't let me smoke joints. Especially since I would have to order the PPV anyway in order to record it. Phone Post
10/31/12 1:08 PM
BigSexy4life

watered down card...

Add a Light heavy bout with a name fighter (shogun, machida, rampage...) and a heavyweight fight with at least an average name fighter (Kongo, Hunt, Barry...) , and I would shell out the cash to go.
10/31/12 1:42 PM
whatamess

i could never afford being a hardcore fan in the us or canada...

300 bucks + beers wow

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.