UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen dismisses critics of title shot

10/31/12 1:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I keep hearing that I talked my way into a fight, and guys, it's true. But the word that I used was 'yes,'" he said on a recent MetroPCS video chat. "When the chance came and they said, 'Do you want to fight?' I said yes. Contrary to what it may look like on TV, [Jones is] pretty darn good, and there's not a lot of guys who want to fight him. And contrary to what the oddsmakers may say, [I'm] pretty good, too, and there's not a lot of guys who want to fight me.

"A lot of guys complain that I got the fight with Jon," he continued. "But not one of those guys said, 'Hey, I want to fight Jon.' Not one of them. And a lot of those guys complain that Jon's fighting me and we're going to be the biggest fight in UFC history, and you're stealing 2013 early. Guys, you didn't call me out? You want to complain that I'm fighting him, but you didn't want to fight me to get to him."

read entire article...

10/31/12 1:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tiger07
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Chael! Two great fighters - very amped to see this go down.
10/31/12 1:37 PM
Hocky Balboa
7552 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anytime I read a Sonnen interview, I always hear it with Owen Wilson's voice in my head. Phone Post
10/31/12 1:45 PM
le
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shut up Chael, tired of him already. Jones is going to elbow his ugly mug through the cage floor. Phone Post
10/31/12 1:48 PM
J_Swift

Truth.

But the squeaky wheel does get the grease. Phone Post
10/31/12 1:49 PM
SinCityHustler

I have to agree with chael on this one.  Guys like Machida and Rua were turning this fight down left and right, meanwhile Chael, Vitor, and another middleweight, Weidman were asking for it.  Hendo is still injured from what I understand so he can't exactly be expected to be ready.  As far as I can tell, the entire light heavyweight division has nothing to complain about, they had their chance.  

10/31/12 1:54 PM
le

SinCityHustler -

I have to agree with chael on this one.  Guys like Machida and Rua were turning this fight down left and right, meanwhile Chael, Vitor, and another middleweight, Weidman were asking for it.  Hendo is still injured from what I understand so he can't exactly be expected to be ready.  As far as I can tell, the entire light heavyweight division has nothing to complain about, they had their chance.  

Dan would be healed and ready by the time this fight happens. Phone Post
10/31/12 1:55 PM
Pernicious
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa -  Anytime I read a Sonnen interview, I always hear it with Owen Wilson's voice in my head. Phone Post

Thank you for this. I will never read one the same way again!
10/31/12 2:00 PM
le

maq102192 -
TimeToCrush - Machida and Rua make their living at 205 and want to be 100% when they fight Jones. Chael has nothing to lose and a big pay check to gain. Not even comparable. It's a joke of a fight.
How is it a joke of a fight? Chael will out wrestle almost anybody in the LHW division Phone Post
He's not fighting "almost anybody" in the lhw division, he's fighting Jon Jones, and out wrestle Jon - he will not.

The only thing this fight had going for it was the trash talking, and so far we've even been robbed of that. Phone Post
10/31/12 2:02 PM
Stu Cazzo

This is a classic WWe style move.

They're using Chael to build Jones - publicity will be at an all time high and Jones should come out looking better than he does right now.

10/31/12 2:11 PM
SinCityHustler

TimeToCrush - Machida and Rua make their living at 205 and want to be 100% when they fight Jones. Chael has nothing to lose and a big pay check to gain. Not even comparable. It's a joke of a fight.

Chael makes his money at 205 as well.   And of course he has something to lose, this is a title shot aginst a far superior opponent.  He's lost 2 consecutive title shots and stands to drop his 3rd straight if things go as expected.  Machida and Rua have the option of moving weight classes, what's Chael going to do if he loses?  I'm sure Chael would love to be 100% when he fights as well.  Agreed that it's a joke fight but it'sbecome a joke because no other light heavyweights would take it.  Hell even Jon Jones wouldn't take it, opting for Vitor instead at a later date.  

10/31/12 2:12 PM
SinCityHustler

TimeToCrush - 
maq102192 - 
TimeToCrush - Machida and Rua make their living at 205 and want to be 100% when they fight Jones. Chael has nothing to lose and a big pay check to gain. Not even comparable. It's a joke of a fight.
How is it a joke of a fight? Chael will out wrestle almost anybody in the LHW division Phone Post

Shoulda said joke of a match up. Not taking away from Chael's skills. But the match up makes no sense. Dan would have done TUF if they asked him and would have been ready to go. This is WWE shit.

What exactly is the injury on Dan's knee?

10/31/12 2:19 PM
crumbs

TimeToCrush - "But not one of those guys said, 'Hey, I want to fight Jon.' Not one of them."

About that. Dan was just on the MMA Hour and said he never said no to the fight (said he would have done TUF too had they actually asked him). So on technicality, Dana and Chael are right. But Dan thought he had the fight anyway so he never had any reason to call Jones out lol.

Sounds to me like some underhanded shit of them just going to Chael right away and overlooking Dan. TUF ratings brah. You're gonna feel it. This is the ULTIMATE!

Sonnen wasnt referring to Hendo at all. he was talking about the people who turned the fight down once hendo got injured.

just had to point that out, the sight of someone sticking up for Hendo's manhood, just doesnt look right, unnatural.

Hendo doesnt need you sticking up for him, the whole world including Sonnen knows Hendo is the man.
10/31/12 2:21 PM
kinson

Chael is awesome. Just the fact he can piss off so many people here and still pull the biggest ppv ratings in the sport is amazing.

To everyone that hates Chael. All of you know you'll watch. Hahahaha Phone Post
10/31/12 2:25 PM
Wovito

kinson -  Chael is awesome. Just the fact he can piss off so many people here and still pull the biggest ppv ratings in the sport is amazing.

To everyone that hates Chael. All of you know you'll watch. Hahahaha Phone Post

Source for Chael "pulling the biggest ppv ratings in the sport"?
10/31/12 2:29 PM
BzGrappla

zzzzzzzz

chael will just talk to the fight.. then the fight will be over in 3 minutes. Its just hype.. with his wannabe shitty wwe promos that he cant even cut.

Chael has never beaten anyone he has talked about
10/31/12 3:49 PM
Vril

10/31/12 6:40 PM
The Nastyness

Pretty obvious they're making this match up to save TUF from bombing. No way in hell they'll be sticking around on FOX with these numbers, even for a Friday night.

They'll be switching nights to a week night this time around I believe, so with that change and adding these two as coaches...we might consistently see double the numbers they're doing now, or more.

As far as the fight itself...I could see it going about the same as the Bader fight.
10/31/12 6:57 PM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TimeToCrush - Machida and Rua make their living at 205 and want to be 100% when they fight Jones. Chael has nothing to lose and a big pay check to gain. Not even comparable. It's a joke of a fight.

VTFU for truth!

10/31/12 7:18 PM
Bipolar

"You want to complain that I'm fighting him, but you didn't want to fight me to get to him."

Is Chael starting to believe his own hype of himself?

1) Who turned down a fight with Chael? 2) Why would anyone need to go through Chael to get to Jones?

The thing about talking a lot is the more you yap, the more likely it becomes that you'll say something stupid.
10/31/12 7:34 PM
BispingsBritishWrasslin
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bipolar - "You want to complain that I'm fighting him, but you didn't want to fight me to get to him."

Is Chael starting to believe his own hype of himself?

1) Who turned down a fight with Chael? 2) Why would anyone need to go through Chael to get to Jones?

The thing about talking a lot is the more you yap, the more likely it becomes that you'll say something stupid.

Rampage said he doesn't want to fight Chael.

10/31/12 7:50 PM
BaraoKix

10/31/12 8:18 PM
jimbonice

Sonnen-the definition of lay n pray. I won't pay to watch this fight. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.