UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Demoting people from other academies

10/31/12 3:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
checkuroil
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a school in so cal that has had a couple of blue belts walk through their doors and said they are not up to snuff so they need to put on a white belt

Now these blues are legit. They received rank under legit instructors. I think this is disrespectful and stupid. No one cares about skill levels of blue belts.

What say u Phone Post
10/31/12 3:27 PM
kying418
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My teacher (Marcelo Garcia) had a lot of colored belts join his academy when he moved to NYC (and FL for a couple of years).

His policy was to not demote anyone of their current belt rank.

(However, in my opinion, you were going to have to wait a looong time to get promoted to the next belt, if you werent up to his standards)
10/31/12 3:34 PM
Morgz
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure my instructor will honor a legit ranking...have seen several transfers come through and hold a blue/purple immediately.  I don't really recall any specific "questionable" ones, but if there were, they would be weeded out quickly.  No one would have to ask them to take their belt off and put a lower one on.  Everyone would just know...or they would leave.

10/31/12 4:03 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just keep them at the next belt longer, no need for demotion.
10/31/12 5:18 PM
onyx2002
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had someone tell me that a three stripe white belt went to a place here and they took off a stripe!!!! Who cares about a stripe on a white belt. I could understand if they didn't use stripes at the new academy but to take one stripe is just a power trip imo.
10/31/12 5:40 PM
Christophr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What school?
10/31/12 5:40 PM
Christophr

Edited: 10/31/12 5:40 PM
10/31/12 6:08 PM
zunk1
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats pretty disrespectful. but here is a followup question. how long should you train somewhere before you compete under their name? lets say someone trained 5 years somewhere but changed gyms a month before a major comp. then you are sort of repping them when they haven't done much for your game?

10/31/12 6:47 PM
BJJER
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It should just take longer to get promoted if they come in not demonstrating the skill level that the specific instructor demands.

There's a Blue belt that moved from out of town from a school from the same association and when we rolled, I immediately knew that he was lacking. there are many reasons why, lack of athleticism, the school he came from is also a TKD school, purple belt instructor. But I would not demote him nor would I ask my instructor to demote him.
10/31/12 9:06 PM
swiftnhbfighter

I wouldn't demote someone but my instructor told one of his association instructors that a few needed demoted. They refused and left the association, shit happens.

I remember when I was under Roy Harris and he promoted a few people that I thought were no where close. I asked him about it and he said they would grow into the belt. I dissagree with that way of thinking. I wouldn't buy a pair of size 12 shoes assuming I will grow into them. I buy shit that fits me, lol! I don't like wearing clothes that don't fit especially shoes. Phone Post
10/31/12 9:27 PM
BenBJJ
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In... for GM Shen opinion.
10/31/12 9:31 PM
shen
630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/31/12 9:47 PM

I've demoted a few people --not my own students really-- just people I've seen randomly at seminars, tournaments or whatever. If I don't think someone deserves their rank, I walk up to them and POLITELY inform them they are now one rank lower. If they are wearing a belt, I very tactfully ask them to remove it.

Even so, some people argue with me! I just tell them, "that attitude of yours is WHY you are being demoted". Then I hand them their new rank certificate. (I usually carry a few blanks around).

I have yet to demote anyone over the internet, but I am seriously considering it.
10/31/12 10:03 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shen said it all and then some. Please, no more posts; this thread should be considered closed.
10/31/12 10:04 PM
BenBJJ
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Consider it closed then.
10/31/12 10:05 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - My teacher (Marcelo Garcia) had a lot of colored belts join his academy when he moved to NYC (and FL for a couple of years).

(However, in my opinion, you were going to have to wait a looong time to get promoted to the next belt, if you werent up to his standards)

This.

10/31/12 10:06 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

swiftnhbfighter -  I wouldn't demote someone but my instructor told one of his association instructors that a few needed demoted. They refused and left the association, shit happens.

I remember when I was under Roy Harris and he promoted a few people that I thought were no where close. I asked him about it and he said they would grow into the belt. I dissagree with that way of thinking. I wouldn't buy a pair of size 12 shoes assuming I will grow into them. I buy shit that fits me, lol! I don't like wearing clothes that don't fit especially shoes. Phone Post

Promoting is way different than demoting, IMO.

10/31/12 10:28 PM
pelekys
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 

I've demoted a few people --not my own students really-- just people I've seen randomly at seminars, tournaments or whatever. If I don't think someone deserves their rank, I walk up to them and POLITELY inform them they are now one rank lower. If they are wearing a belt, I very tactfully ask them to remove it.

Even so, some people argue with me! I just tell them, "that attitude of yours is WHY you are being demoted". Then I hand them their new rank certificate. (I usually carry a few blanks around).

I have yet to demote anyone over the internet, but I am seriously considering it.

Gracie Academy get to promote online. It's only fair that Shen gets to demote online too.

Who agrees with me?
10/31/12 10:34 PM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - My teacher (Marcelo Garcia) had a lot of colored belts join his academy when he moved to NYC (and FL for a couple of years).

I like this method. Phone Post
10/31/12 11:30 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very shortsighted, IMHO.

At my academy only 3 things happen.

1. Usually the person deserves the rank s/he has, more or less. No need for me to interfere.

2. Very, very rarely, a person will be much better than what most expect at a certain rank. We all have a chance to learn from him or her.

3. More often than 2 and less often than 1, s/he will be below my academy's standards. I say nothing, s/he gets schooled in public by lower belts, and all my students feel very confident that our standards are high and they truly deserve their ranks.

All good.
11/1/12 12:10 AM
Matthieu Battle
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^legit
11/1/12 7:54 AM
Morgz
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - Very shortsighted, IMHO.

At my academy only 3 things happen.

1. Usually the person deserves the rank s/he has, more or less. No need for me to interfere.

2. Very, very rarely, a person will be much better than what most expect at a certain rank. We all have a chance to learn from him or her.

3. More often than 2 and less often than 1, s/he will be below my academy's standards. I say nothing, s/he gets schooled in public by lower belts, and all my students feel very confident that our standards are high and they truly deserve their ranks.

All good.
Very well put Phone Post
11/1/12 10:59 AM
green_machine
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is someone joined a new gym but hadn't been able to train in a significant amount of time before that? They were true to their rank at one point, then took time off due to something in their life, and during that time they moved and later decided to resume training. Their skill wouldn't be close to what it was before they stopped, should they get demoted in that case? Where do you draw the line?
11/1/12 11:15 AM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train at a small school, but we have good lineage. My Master gives us certificates when we get promoted. On the back it has contact information if we go somewhere else and they want to validate our belt. He told us that when we travel other places that will be more valuable then the belt we walk in with if they have any questions about our rank. Phone Post
11/1/12 11:20 AM
Baroquen Record
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if I'm going to get demoted when I finally get back into an academy. It's been 2 years since I trained consistently and I'm garbage right now. Phone Post
11/1/12 11:52 AM
matthias
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a training partner that was a brown belt at this original school, but when he joined ours demoted himself to blue belt.

"Legit" is kind of an generic term. Everyone has their own standard, IMO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.