UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Demoting people from other academies

11/5/12 4:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rick T
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/05/12 4:00 AM
If you move from one dojo or assoc to another you are choosing more than just a new location or teacher. Obviously, you are changing schools for a reason. Perhaps you like the other location and hours of operation a bit more, instructor may seem better to you, better school vibe...etc etc<br /><br />Problem is that when u do that you are putting yourself in a position where you may be judged or evalutaed through a new set of STANDARDS. The only problem with that is this: HOW MANY BJJ ORGANIZATIONS DO YOU KNOW WHO ACTUALLY HAVE STANDARDS FOR RANK?<br /><br />This is the most subjective issue in BJJ. One school, assoc or teacher may say: "You are not a blue belt". Yet they cant tell you what their school/assoc requirements are for blue belt, purple belt...whatever. Going back to 1998 I remember seeing high ranked black belts giving various wrestlers blue belts at seminars simply based on their abilty to smash and control others. Bottom line is that without standards any and all promotions are will always be VERY SUBJECTIVE. My .02 cents!<br />
11/6/12 4:22 AM
myates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/12 4:33 AM
<blockquote>bgup619 - We have never demoted anyone coming from another school to train with us. I dont think my professor would ever do that. We did have a guy start training with us that was from UAE, he got his blue belt there. He continuously told us about his lineage and how he travelled to Brazil to train, blah blah blah. Long story short he sucked balls and our white belts ate his ass up. He lasted about 4 months and quit.. These things tend to work themselves out.<br /><br />Personally I would never disrespect a former instructor by agreeing to remove a belt they tied around my waist.</blockquote><br /> He probably wasn't lying about his lineage.. The number of black belts here is incredible and the instruction is beyond elite... Still doesn't mean you won't suck,especially if he was just a blue.
11/6/12 4:33 AM
myates

P.s you can never judge how good someone is by just watching live rolling in practice. Most recreational bjjers are not going balls out crazy when they roll. This game is about longevity and keeping yourself healthy. Besides if all you do when you roll is try to winyouwill never improve weaker aspects of your game. If an insructor demotes you because you are getting "beaten" in practice (a place where everyone should be actively working on their weak points) then that instructor is probably not worth training with.
11/6/12 10:31 AM
bgup619
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

myates - <blockquote>bgup619 - We have never demoted anyone coming from another school to train with us. I dont think my professor would ever do that. We did have a guy start training with us that was from UAE, he got his blue belt there. He continuously told us about his lineage and how he travelled to Brazil to train, blah blah blah. Long story short he sucked balls and our white belts ate his ass up. He lasted about 4 months and quit.. These things tend to work themselves out.<br /><br />Personally I would never disrespect a former instructor by agreeing to remove a belt they tied around my waist.</blockquote><br /> He probably wasn't lying about his lineage.. The number of black belts here is incredible and the instruction is beyond elite... Still doesn't mean you won't suck,especially if he was just a blue.

ohh dont misunderstand me, I didnt question who he trained with or or the legitmacy of his lineage, I questioned that he possibly promoted himself to blue belt before coming in to our academy..
11/6/12 9:16 PM
amc6825
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think saulo ribiero is known for doing this Phone Post
11/6/12 10:06 PM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

amc6825 -  I think saulo ribiero is known for doing this Phone Post

are you sure? having a belt in gaidojitsu or whatever crap jackson calls it doesn't count.
11/7/12 2:58 AM
RoidsGracie

I know that Jim Miller of AMA Fight Club game originally had a purple ranking under Rob Kahn back when he was training at this place called Planet Jiu Jitsu (North NJ peeps from way back should know what school I'm talking about.) When that school closed down and he moved over to AMA he ended up starting as a blue belt under Jamie Cruz.
11/8/12 9:56 AM
jv071481
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disrespecting other instructors. Unless they are known instructors that sell rank. Phone Post
11/22/12 10:40 AM
Baroquen Record
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunderground -
Baroquen Record -  I wonder if I'm going to get demoted when I finally get back into an academy. It's been 2 years since I trained consistently and I'm garbage right now. Phone Post

WTF. I dont care if I dont train for 5 years and my game goes to shit. I earned that blue belt and have felt the pressure of Renzo. No one is demoting me except me.

(Or maybe Rickson. Or Ralph.....)
Yeah it took me 6 years to get my purple I would be upset if someone told me to take it off especially since the instructor who promoted me is as legit as it gets.

I doubt I would train somewhere that would force demote me. Not an ego thing but just a respect thing. It's like spitting in my old instructors face Phone Post
11/22/12 12:14 PM
FJJ828

Clearly, there is only one solution. Anythime someone new comes to your school with rank, they should have to beat all of the students of his rank one after the other in Ironman fashion. Failure to defeat all his opponents will result in immediate demotion to white belt/ no stripes. If he is submitted by any of them, he must be expelled from the school in shame.

I learned this hardcore philosophy from GM Shen. Neither of my students has a problem with it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.