UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendo: Sonnen vs. Jones bad for the sport

10/31/12 5:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dan Henderson, who had hoped for a title shot himself against UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones, does not think that his friend Chael Sonnen getting the next shot makes sense. He does not however hold any ill will towards Sonnen, and would help him train for the fight.

"I absolutely think it was a bad decision for the sport," said Henderson on Wednesday's edition of The MMA Hour. "It just makes the sport lose a little bit of integrity."

"Someone offers (Chael) a fight and great opportunity like that, why wouldn’t he take it?"

"I understand that [Dana White] does what he does for the UFC and always has, first and foremost. He tries to accommodate the fighters as he can, but it’s more about saving the ratings on The Ultimate Fighter show, and I understand that."

In the mean time, Henderson feels that a fight will with Lyoto Machida on Superbowl weekend in Feb is most likely. However, Hendo will not have fought in over a year, much of it spent waiting for a title shot, and at 42 years old, he cannot wait for ever.

"I think that’s what’s being talked about," Dan said. "We'll wait and see. I don’t think it’s a secret. Dana already announced he was going to try to put him and me together."

"I feel like I want to be active. Whoever they put in front of me, I’ll fight, and I'll make sure I beat him."

Read entire article...

10/31/12 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
westside
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should have told Dana the day he was injured and we wouldn't have this problem.

I think Chael has a 20% chance of beating JBJ and I think Hendo might have had a 30% chance. Phone Post
10/31/12 6:22 PM
CNewton317
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His fault for training to hard ...lmao Phone Post
10/31/12 6:40 PM
sunnyko
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan "The Jelly" Henderson Phone Post
10/31/12 6:48 PM
keylockarmbar

i think hendo has a great chance to beat anyone.
10/31/12 6:56 PM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do kind of feel for Hendo. He's looked great these past few years, but who knows how much longer he'll be fighting at such a high level. I feel like his time is now, and while I think Jones is a really thought match up for him, it's still a fight I want to see. Phone Post
10/31/12 7:12 PM
JosselEmin

Things in life should be earned not given bc the boss likes u the most.

In fact Sonnen should've been fired for the racist comments that he made about the Brazilians but I guess the UFC is the only company in USA that allows their employees to do so. Phone Post
10/31/12 7:16 PM
kinson

Knee injuries are bad for the sport. Phone Post
10/31/12 7:17 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brazilian isn't a race.

Hendo is right that what's good for UFC in the near term is bad for MMA in the long term.

And Dan told Dana about the injury as soon as the Dr told him he wouldn't be able to fight.

10/31/12 7:19 PM
kalki

Hendo is right......ufc=wwe ........i will never buy a ppv with that racist on the card......
10/31/12 7:26 PM
RandyDarsh
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you expect him to say?
They're doing a tuf season for this fight, it's just about the cash grab , I'm buying. Phone Post
10/31/12 7:31 PM
jimbonice

Hendo is right. Dana is turning it into the ufc-wwe Phone Post
10/31/12 8:22 PM
radiobaby
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do they have to wait so long to do hendo/lyoto? 4 months?
10/31/12 8:28 PM
Brian J DSouza

Dan Henderson is 42 years old. This might be his last chance at a title belt ever.

The Henderson-Machida bout was supposed to punish Machida for turning down a short-notice fight with Jon Jones, but as the instrument of revenge, Henderson is also being punished.

There are no rankings in MMA, no mandatory contenders, no sanctioning bodies and nothing stops promoters from doing what is expedient versus what is right.

Maybe Dan can make a backroom deal to get a title shot? Say, give up 50-80% of his fight purse in exchange for a fight against Jon Jones?
10/31/12 8:31 PM
Dogman
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan is right,this reminds me of the old Pride matchups that seemed so silly...bad for the SPORT!
10/31/12 8:42 PM
tog_320

...3 ring circus sideshow...
10/31/12 9:09 PM
DAVID H
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kalki - Hendo is right......ufc=wwe ........i will never buy a ppv with that racist on the card......

10/31/12 10:01 PM
crazydave
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan should be happy for his friend. Phone Post
11/1/12 12:18 AM
keylockarmbar

thatsme - Hendo is only half correct. He should have added that Dana is also bad for the sport.

when he says that if you dont like this or that then dont buy it or i dont want your money like saying fuck you, it makes my skin crawl. i know he brought it to the light but thats not a green lite to be a dick
11/1/12 1:49 AM
ShakeR_

The reason Hendo didn't get the exact fight he's complaining about 'his friend' Chael getting is bc he hurt is knee. His knee is also the reason he won't get a fight for over a year at age 42. Shit happens. If shit didn't happen, Hendo would have got the fight. He got a shitty break and now he sounds Jelly. (yes, he deserved the fight way more than Chael does. Not arguing that point.)

I have Zero problem with Dana saying don't buy it if you don't like it. Im Not sure why people get so pissed about this statement. It's not Dana being cocky - he's just stating the obvious. It's a free market - be glad (it's the best kind there is). Phone Post
11/1/12 3:31 AM
JimmersonzGlove
477 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just really wanted to see Hendo vs JBJ so I'm pretty bummed. Lyoto will probably decision Hendo and we'll never get to see it now.

11/1/12 3:40 AM
Brian J DSouza

His knee is also the reason he won't get a fight for over a year at age 42

Dan tore his MCL, and needed one month off. So he could have easily been scheduled as the next LHW contender for Jon Jones.

It's a free market - be glad (it's the best kind there is)

Before various investigations by the Federal authorities and laws enacted by the government, boxing was run by the mafia. They did whatever they wanted-- fixed fights, skimmed money, bought people, etc. Even later on, rankings could be bought from various organizations, like the IBF.

There's nothing really special or good about the current system, except from the perspective of a promoter that takes as much as it can as often as it can from whoever it can take it from.

11/2/12 9:54 AM
ShakeR_

Talk about missing the point... Twice

The fight was scheduled. They were ready to go. Then he hurt his knee and it was canceled. Period. Recovery time (1 month sounds pretty short for an MCL anyway) is irrelevant.

Mafia run boxing = free market? This somehow relates to Dana saying don't buy it if you don't like it? Until you are 'regulated' into being forced to buy a PPV, your point is a tangent at best. Phone Post
11/2/12 12:53 PM
bhealthy

It is also bad for Cycling and Lance armweak
11/2/12 12:54 PM
bhealthy

But is is GREAT for any drug companies that zuffa employees may invest in

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.