UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Is Gene LeBell really a pathological liar?

11/1/12 12:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FightSpirit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just found these sources on youtube. This thread is for sharing purpose only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9y1VSpH04c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV4pSoPLIso
11/1/12 12:35 AM
shen
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/12 12:50 AM

Having studied with him a number of times (years ago), I have some first hand experience with the man --as do many-- and I can assure you he is an INCREDIBLY skilled and knowledgeable grappler. His knowledge of the submission game is just insane. There is no one like him alive.

Yes, he is a "character" and he does have have a lot of "pro-wrestler" in him, due to the fact that, well, he was a pro-wrestler --BUT-- he really is the "Dean of American grappling". He's a true pioneer who should be --and generally is-- respected by anyone who is a serious grappling exponent.

He's a legend in American grappling for good reason.

Maybe in other threads you could bash some other grappling frauds such as Carlos Gracie, Volk Han, Dan Gable or maybe Kimura.
11/1/12 12:38 AM
shaqitup
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't know Gene got so much hate, whenever i heard him mentioned he seems to get a lot of love
11/1/12 12:41 AM
that new guy

Think you got Gene and Seagal mixed up.

11/1/12 12:46 AM
DW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Shen is correct

11/1/12 12:49 AM
LEMon
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool when I met him cant say anything bad ! Phone Post
11/1/12 1:20 AM
ausgepicht

shaqitup - Didn't know Gene got so much hate, whenever i heard him mentioned he seems to get a lot of love

He doesn't get hate. Here's your answer:

Steven Seagul just recently signed up.

11/1/12 1:23 AM
Tankhead
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen -

Having studied with him a number of times (years ago), I have some first hand experience with the man --as do many-- and I can assure you he is an INCREDIBLY skilled and knowledgeable grappler. His knowledge of the submission game is just insane. There is no one like him alive.

Yes, he is a "character" and he does have have a lot of "pro-wrestler" in him, due to the fact that, well, he was a pro-wrestler --BUT-- he really is the "Dean of American grappling". He's a true pioneer who should be --and generally is-- respected by anyone who is a serious grappling exponent.

He's a legend in American grappling for good reason.

Maybe in other threads you could bash some other grappling frauds such as Carlos Gracie, Volk Han, Dan Gable or maybe Kimura.
This deserves many VTFUs Phone Post
11/1/12 1:29 AM
tiger07
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gene's legit. That is all.
11/1/12 1:50 AM
MovieGuy

i'll bet a study at home bjj blue belt could submit him. Do you guys remember his b.s. grappling techniques in the mags back in the days where he was strangling guys in tonfas in his PJ's?? LMAO!

11/1/12 1:51 AM
ShanTheMan
805 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That video is very lame, sorry Dong. Whoever made it has poor grammar and even worse spelling.

Also, can't fault the man for saying he would bet on Chuck Norris vs an actor who also was good at martial arts.
11/1/12 2:02 AM
shen
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MovieGuy - 

i'll bet a study at home bjj blue belt could submit him. Do you guys remember his b.s. grappling techniques in the mags back in the days where he was strangling guys in tonfas in his PJ's?? LMAO!

His moves are not B.S., many are just very advanced technical moves. They don't "make sense" until you realize they are a counter to a counter to a counter.

I'll agree that what he teaches has sometimes not been explained well and taught out of context.

I used to learn some things and think, "this is crazy who would ever do this?" Then he would show When you use the move and it was like, "Whoa, that is awesome!"

11/1/12 2:53 AM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he has all these magical moves why don't we see them in MMA or even grappling matches?
11/1/12 3:03 AM
sfish4862
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see you set up a new troll account, Dong. 0/10
11/1/12 3:20 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish we could find out if he really made Seagal shit and piss himself from a choke Phone Post
11/1/12 4:00 AM
grapplingwithzen

I have no doubt he is legit, but the pro-wrestler is also strong in him. Also I heard he is kind of a sadistic b*stard, but a lot of those old time judoka are.

11/1/12 5:15 AM
Strykr619

Gene Lebell is a good person BUT his "legend" got hyped up a lot because of the whole Segal thing. If people like Dan Inosanto are willing to vouche for him then he is ok in my book. 

11/1/12 5:20 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dong Johnson - 

Gene Lebell is one of those bitter old man who worked as a sidekick for some of the biggest hollywood stars.  his bitter jealousy drove him to regurgitate putrid lies to put himself over the famous guys and make a name for himself.   I don't buy his bullshit for one second.

Haha... are you angry with Gene because he said a few things about your idol Bruce Lee?
11/1/12 5:23 AM
Strykr619

grapplingwithzen - I have no doubt he is legit, but the pro-wrestler is also strong in him. Also I heard he is kind of a sadistic b*stard, but a lot of those old time judoka are.

Shit I learned Judo from my uncle (mom's older brother) and he still is a freaking sadist. He also hates the direction Judo has gone internationally ,never mention around him Olympic Judo because he gets all pissy, always tells me in tagalog that its a watered down PoS. 

My uncle was serious about ground work thou and I thank him for it. BJJ refined a lot of it but i didn't feel totally lost when I first started rolling with BJJers. 

11/1/12 5:25 AM
Strykr619

cm81 - 
Dong Johnson - 

Gene Lebell is one of those bitter old man who worked as a sidekick for some of the biggest hollywood stars.  his bitter jealousy drove him to regurgitate putrid lies to put himself over the famous guys and make a name for himself.   I don't buy his bullshit for one second.

Haha... are you angry with Gene because he said a few things about your idol Bruce Lee?

Not all people think highly of Gene in the old MA circles. He was some what of a showoff in his younger days (at least that what I've read). 

11/1/12 5:48 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know Rousey lurks here and has posted a couple times. Hope she logs in and turns OP into the new Skooter Phone Post
11/1/12 5:51 AM
PTM2020
1153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

still have the cool patches he gave me when i was a kid

11/1/12 7:45 AM
WrestlingSucks
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tma guys hated him because he called them on their bulshit
11/1/12 8:21 AM
The Wizzle
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gene is beyond legit
11/1/12 8:28 AM
Lazer MMA

OK who has (or can get) some great fighter talking about Gene ? Maybe Chuck?

Let's look for some sources here. TY

Reply Post

This thread has been frozen.