UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Dumbell Snatch

11/1/12 8:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
James Foy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats a respectable # to throw up on a single arm dumbell snatch? Just started doing them b/c I hurt my wrist in BJJ class and doing cleans was killin it.

I weigh about 150-155, did 70 lbs x 3 the other day. Anyone else do this lift often?
11/1/12 11:17 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey James,

I like the DB snatch. Also DB Clean and press etc. I prefer the DB versions of these types of movements. Assuming good form, 70 # is a good place to be. The only thing that matters is that you keep your technique perfect, and strive to improve over time. Can't really ever compare yourself to another lifter, too many factors make it so it's never "apples to apples" comparison.

TAKU

11/1/12 8:55 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Done properly it is a fantastic exercise. I love that you can superset it with damn near anything. 70# is a great place to start. As the great Taku has already stated, make sure that you have good form. I've seen a lot of herky jerky bullshit db snatches, but a true smooth hip hinged triple extending whip crack one arm snatch is a beautiful thing and a POWERFUL training tool.
11/2/12 7:27 AM
James Foy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good info guys, thanks
11/2/12 9:04 AM
vermonter
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup 70 is a lot.

A super fun version you didn't hear from me (for liability reasons) is a one handed barbell snatch. I used to do this often and loved it, but it can be.... risky.
11/2/12 12:42 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok stop listening to Taku on that one lol. It's a good way to kill yourself! :)

...well, it's a good way to die if you don't have a really active grip. You need to be able to apply pressure equally throughout your hand to stabilize the barbell. There's a video out there of some olympic thrower doing sick #'s in the BB OAS (I think he worked up to 225 or something just revolting like that)

Anyway, back to DB OASnatches

I like to do them from the hang or the floor (which feels like some kinda cirque de soliel move). I've seen people do them for super high reps but I prefer to go heavy and focus on getting that hard snap in the pull. So I like reps under 5-6. 3 being ideal. Best method I found to just slip them into your workouts is to do them between sets of squats, dips, or overhead presses. I didn't like it when I benched because I felt my shoulders didnt stay loose. This is probably just a postural thing on my part because I didn't have the problem supersetting OAS with pushups.

Method I used to increase my #'s on them pretty fast actually (this is what I used for a bunch of other lifts as well) is the 1 step fwd one step back method. You can set this up with twice a week sessions for that exercise or once a week. Depends on your training age, the lift, and how strong you are. For DB OAS I like twice a week it isn't terribly draining on your recovery abilities imo.

Session 1:
Go in the gym and set a baseline (for instance you know you can do 70x3). This is how strong you are so don't get weaker.

Session 2: Go back and do 60x3 for enough sets to get a training effect. That's different for everyone and takes a bit of figuring out (auto-regulation for the kines geeks). Usually in the 6-8 range (I liked to use 10x3 for no real reason).

Session 3: Beat 70 for either reps or weight. set a new baseline @ 65

Session 4: enough sets to cause a training effect again

The goal is to set baselines so you know even on a bad day with no sleep and hangover I can go in and perform XYZ. It's really easy to perform when things are optimal but I like to know what I can do when dragged into deep water.
11/2/12 12:44 PM
NeoSpartan

Ugh. I'm not editing that.

*60 or 65

You'll figure out where that belongs.
11/2/12 12:56 PM
vermonter
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^i think you meant "don't listen to vermonter" not taku. Taku's advice was sound. Mine was dangerous.

And fun.
11/2/12 12:57 PM
vermonter

Oh, and i should note that if you do try it, stick to only an empty bar, or a bar with fixed plates (like the one's chicks use at a gym).
11/2/12 1:00 PM
James Foy

^^^ will try ASAP, good info thanks! Phone Post
11/2/12 1:01 PM
NeoSpartan

Yea sorry! fuck that Vermonter guy! :) (joking)

I'm actually at work and usually write my posts in 1-2min blocks then send them, I wasn't paying close attention. goddamn red namers you all look alike!
11/2/12 1:03 PM
NeoSpartan

Hell I have someone on hold right now...
11/2/12 3:42 PM
jeremy hamilton
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the point of this exercise?
11/2/12 11:08 PM
NeoSpartan

increases dick size
11/3/12 12:23 PM
James Foy

^^ it hasn't worked yet ^^ Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.