UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lost my house.

11/6/12 3:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
holly9000
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in Toms River, if I can help with anything PM me
11/6/12 4:49 PM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess - 

i hope to see some pics later, OP!  

I plan on taking some before and afters for you guys. I wanted to put up a pic of the kids in their halloween costumes too...seeing them smile that day was awesome
11/6/12 4:50 PM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

someone made me blue too...thx alot guys I really appreciate all the outreach
11/6/12 6:12 PM
GenericAmerican
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NJstileNJ -  The flood is very strict and does cover anything except rebuilding the structure Phone Post

Yep, that's basically what it is. Which is a hell of a lot better than nothing, but it doesn't pay for everything that you'll need.

The main thing I would recommend looking into is if you can recover anything through your homeowner's policy. If the wind caused any damage above the flood line, your homeowner's policy will pay for that. The wind damage may be a tiny thing compared to the flood damage, but every bit helps when you're trying to put it all back together.

To get into any more detail, I'd probably need to see photos and a copy of the estimate which they base payment off of. That's probably more than you want to bother sending a stranger, but if you find yourself confused or feeling screwed as this process goes on, let me know.

11/6/12 6:29 PM
ChaosOverkill
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

condolesces dude

11/6/12 6:42 PM
GenericAmerican
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I reviewed the flood policy (a sample version, but it should be the same one you have).

Regarding the coverage, check if you purchased coverage for Personal Property. The Flood policy can be just for structure or it can be structure and personal property, which would cover a lot of the items in the house.

There are also some other things that may apply to you (but will probably not be paid to you unless you ask about it):

-the policy considers most appliances to be part of the house, so they should replace any damaged refrigerators, A/C units, stoves, etc.

-up to $1,000 for your expenses incurred while moving your personal property to prevent damage (either before or during the storm). So if you packed up any valuables and evacuated, you may be able to recover up to $1,000.

-up to $1,000 for costs to protect the home (sandbags, plastic sheeting, etc). This includes your labor, which they would pay you minimum wage for the hours spent on this.

There are a few other little things like this, but it's hard to know what might apply to you. The policy is only 24 pages long and the part that really matters is only about 10 of those pages, so it may be worth it to read through to see if anything seems to apply to you that the adjuster didn't mention (because he may not have realized it either).

I'll leave it at that for now, but feel free to ask any questions. I know reading through this stuff sucks. Even I don't read my own insurance policy. If someone's not paying me to do it, I hate it as much as the next guy.
11/6/12 6:56 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT.
11/6/12 7:04 PM
NJstileNJ

BengalWACO - Prayers headed your way. I have a 2 year old son also and love him beyond words also. Things are things and can be replaced. Your love for your son is eternal.
He told my wife he wanted to go home today...broke my heart Phone Post
11/6/12 7:06 PM
NJstileNJ

GenericAmerican - I reviewed the flood policy (a sample version, but it should be the same one you have).

Regarding the coverage, check if you purchased coverage for Personal Property. The Flood policy can be just for structure or it can be structure and personal property, which would cover a lot of the items in the house.

There are also some other things that may apply to you (but will probably not be paid to you unless you ask about it):

-the policy considers most appliances to be part of the house, so they should replace any damaged refrigerators, A/C units, stoves, etc.

-up to $1,000 for your expenses incurred while moving your personal property to prevent damage (either before or during the storm). So if you packed up any valuables and evacuated, you may be able to recover up to $1,000.

-up to $1,000 for costs to protect the home (sandbags, plastic sheeting, etc). This includes your labor, which they would pay you minimum wage for the hours spent on this.

There are a few other little things like this, but it's hard to know what might apply to you. The policy is only 24 pages long and the part that really matters is only about 10 of those pages, so it may be worth it to read through to see if anything seems to apply to you that the adjuster didn't mention (because he may not have realized it either).

I'll leave it at that for now, but feel free to ask any questions. I know reading through this stuff sucks. Even I don't read my own insurance policy. If someone's not paying me to do it, I hate it as much as the next guy.
Thx man... My policy doesn't cover any contents... I just want them to have that comfort of home back Phone Post
11/6/12 7:13 PM
Hadoukenkieran
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You and your family are safe man, we are all glad to hear that :) keep strong for your family!
The UG is behind you brother! Phone Post
11/6/12 7:20 PM
GenericAmerican

Too bad on the contents. If you're lucky they'll estimate for the professional labor rate to gut the house, but worst case make sure you at least get minimum wage for your hours working on it.

I've only had limited experience working with FEMA, but they might be able to get help from them on the contents that weren't covered. I don't know exactly what their rules are, but it's worth a shot.

Hopefully you're over the worst part and everything gets better from here.
11/8/12 1:02 PM
NJstileNJ

NCAA92 - 

NJstileNJ, package went in the mail today USPS Tracking number 0311 2550 0003 4407 5181 www.usps.com

Got it yesterday, thx again man. I sent you a PM as well...The kids both say thank you too and they loved it. Thx to all of you who reached out and inspired me to stay strong through this
11/8/12 1:19 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
979 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

verrry kewl NJSNJ

11/8/12 1:29 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NJstileNJ - 
NCAA92 - 

NJstileNJ, package went in the mail today USPS Tracking number 0311 2550 0003 4407 5181 www.usps.com

Got it yesterday, thx again man. I sent you a PM as well...The kids both say thank you too and they loved it. Thx to all of you who reached out and inspired me to stay strong through this

it would appear that the inspired is also he who inspired

11/8/12 3:24 PM
NCAA92
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NJstileNJ - 
NCAA92 - 

No problem. Glad the kids liked the toys.

11/8/12 3:43 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread is pure UG GOLD ....all time.

11/8/12 4:43 PM
Doc T
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess -

sorry to hear that man, and that is heartbreaking about your son.  i know toys are the last thing on your mind, but i'd like to buy your son a toy or 5 if you'd take a walmart gift card.  PM me 

TTT for these kind words Phone Post
11/14/12 9:27 AM
NJstileNJ

GenericAmerican - Too bad on the contents. If you're lucky they'll estimate for the professional labor rate to gut the house, but worst case make sure you at least get minimum wage for your hours working on it.

I've only had limited experience working with FEMA, but they might be able to get help from them on the contents that weren't covered. I don't know exactly what their rules are, but it's worth a shot.

hey man quick question...the adjustor came out 2 weeks ago but still hasnt put my claim in says he wants to see everyone in the area that he has to before he puts claims in. Is this normal? what can I do to expedite? My hopes were to have the kids home by Xmas but thats not looking likely...the thought of them waking up in the basement of our friends house is goign to drive me over the edge. I know the best bet is to keep it cool with the adjustor so I feel stuck. any advice?
11/14/12 10:44 AM
suess
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn that is horrible...  ttt for answers   good luck man

11/14/12 11:55 AM
CLINT NJHC
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry to hear about this, my NJ brother.
Stay strong and show your kids how much of a hero their dad is!
11/17/12 4:32 AM
GenericAmerican

NJstileNJ - 
GenericAmerican - Too bad on the contents. If you're lucky they'll estimate for the professional labor rate to gut the house, but worst case make sure you at least get minimum wage for your hours working on it.

hey man quick question...the adjustor came out 2 weeks ago but still hasnt put my claim in says he wants to see everyone in the area that he has to before he puts claims in. Is this normal? what can I do to expedite? My hopes were to have the kids home by Xmas but thats not looking likely...the thought of them waking up in the basement of our friends house is goign to drive me over the edge. I know the best bet is to keep it cool with the adjustor so I feel stuck. any advice?

Sorry, I haven't been on the forums in a couple days.

What happens is the adjusters get overloaded in these large distaster events and everyone wants them out to inspect right away, but the paperwork starts to backlog. The inspecting is the easy part, the paperwork takes at least twice as long.

I would call the guy every couple of days until he has submitted the claim. The people reviewing it at the next step up the chain are probably also backlogged, so if he hasn't even gotten it submitted, it's hard to say how long the process will be.

Don't worry about pissing him off just for asking for your claim to be processed in a reasonable amount of time. If he were to do anything to negatively effect your claim because he didn't like you, he could lose his adjusting license and be effectively barred from ever working in the industry again.

Did he give you a business card or anything else that might indicate who he is working for? FEMA (which is over the Flood Insurance Program) does have their own people working directly for them, but in large events, a lot of the adjusters are working for an outside company that has contracted with FEMA. If you can find out who the adjusters boss is and try to contact them directly, you could probably get a fast response.

I've been that guy who is 2 weeks behind on paperwork, so it doesn't mean the guy is necessarily doing anything wrong, But he is working on the paperwork at night and his list of priorities is probably based on who is calling him the most.
11/17/12 5:03 AM
Matt Phillips
824 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

11/17/12 8:11 AM
NJstileNJ

GenericAmerican -
NJstileNJ - 

Sorry, I haven't been on the forums in a couple days.

What happens is the adjusters get overloaded in these large distaster events and everyone wants them out to inspect right away, but the paperwork starts to backlog. The inspecting is the easy part, the paperwork takes at least twice as long.

I would call the guy every couple of days until he has submitted the claim. The people reviewing it at the next step up the chain are probably also backlogged, so if he hasn't even gotten it submitted, it's hard to say how long the process will be.

Don't worry about pissing him off just for asking for your claim to be processed in a reasonable amount of time. If he were to do anything to negatively effect your claim because he didn't like you, he could lose his adjusting license and be effectively barred from ever working in the industry again.

Did he give you a business card or anything else that might indicate who he is working for? FEMA (which is over the Flood Insurance Program) does have their own people working directly for them, but in large events, a lot of the adjusters are working for an outside company that has contracted with FEMA. If you can find out who the adjusters boss is and try to contact them directly, you could probably get a fast response.

I've been that guy who is 2 weeks behind on paperwork, so it doesn't mean the guy is necessarily doing anything wrong, But he is working on the paperwork at night and his list of priorities is probably based on who is calling him the most.
I called him left a message and was very calm and nice it must've worked at least a little they gave me a small advance so I could at least get started Phone Post
11/17/12 8:16 AM
SpiderRicco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what size clothing does your son wear? is he a 2T?
11/17/12 8:27 AM
SpiderRicco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/17/12 8:27 AM
A few of the students from my BJJ school will be in Union Beach tomorrow to help with the cleanup. What do you need from us? Food, clothing? PM me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.