UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Frank Shamrock discusses sexual molestation

11/2/12 1:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

BloodyElbow's Kid Nate recently conducted an extensive video interview with Frank Shamrock centered on Shamrock's newly published autobiography Uncaged: My Life as a Champion MMA Fighter.

For some fans, Frank Shamrock is their favorite fighter eva. Others see pomposity, self-promotion, and those braces. Regardless of whether you rate Frank Shamrock higher than Fedor and Couture in the MMA pantheon, or down there somewhere with Dan Quinn and Art Davie, Frank Shamrock's unblinking honesty about being sexually molested has the potential to help a lot of people.

Kid Nate: If there was a kid like you out there, struggling with a tough home life, what would be the one thing you would have them take away from the book?

Frank Shamrock: That there's no right or wrong way to survive this thing, but there's some definite guidelines to stick by, and those are the principles of martial arts. Just being a good person and getting in a good community.

I came from a bad community, so when you come from a place that's broken, usually you end up in a broken place, because there's just no tools that get you from broken to fixed.

KN: One of the most disturbing things in the book was you talked about being abused by your step father, and neglected, and you bounced around from your mom's house to your dad's house, but the only mention of sexual molestation happened when you were under Bob Shamrock's care. One of the coaches or aides at his establishment  actually molested you. Do you have conflicting emotions about that? Do you feel like Bob Shamrock let you down? Or…

FS: No, I don't have any ill will or emotions towards Bob on that. For me, I didn't know enough about my own sexuality, what was going on, to sort of realize. I knew it was weird, and it made very uncomfortable. It happened twice and after that I was like "stay away from this dude."

I was young and I didn't get it. I liked to drink, I was an alcoholic when I was a really young man. I liked to drink and if you gave me drink I'd hang out with you. This guy saw an opportunity there.

The reason I put it into the book is there are a lot of people that have a secret like this. And they're carrying them around and they're weighing them down in life. And it's like people are going "Oh I can't do this because of that." No. There's no this because of that. You can do anything you want. And if thats weighing you down, then get rid of it.

That was a process for me. I had to get rid of it. And I want people to know, it's all right.

Kid Nate: Cool. As somebody else who survived some stuff in childhood like that, I gotta take my hat off, and I appreciate you coming forward with that, and I think it makes it easier for everybody who has lived through experiences like that. And for kids who might be going through things like that, it's important to know, you are not doing anything wrong, and these adult are the ones doing something wrong, and it's nothing to be hidden. So I really appreciate it.

11/2/12 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GMan99
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a great deal of respect for Frank on this.

One of the most moving things I have ever seen on TV was when Leveranues Coles talking about being secually abused by his mother's boyfriend. He said that it happened nearly every day for a period of like five years.

I guess it stopped when he became big and strong, and he repressed his pain, etc. But one day he came across the guy hanging out with a group of kids from his school. The guy had the nerve to start calling him a faygot, etc. Coles snapped and savagely beat him.

When he was arrested, the detective felt that the beating was so intense that it could not have been just from being called a name. He kept him there for hours just asking him question after question until he finally broke down and explained why. The boyfriend was arrested, tried, convicted, and received a long sentence.

He said that he then repressed it for years and years again. He said that it has affected his ability to have normal loving relationships throughout his life. Finally, when he was around 30, he said that he reached out for help and decided the only way to heal himself was to admit it. His hope was that by showing if an all American football player and NFL star could be harmed in this way and then admit, he hoped that other kids would be able to open up and also not shut themselves off from society.

Very moving and impressive.
11/2/12 1:47 PM
Kneeblock
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

11/2/12 1:50 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/02/12 1:49 PM

respect to frank

11/2/12 1:52 PM
thefightingsheep
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props to Frank for being so open about this.
11/2/12 1:58 PM
Confided
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mad respect for Frank. Phone Post
11/2/12 2:06 PM
Soup and Beer
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this was going to be about Tank's proposition again.

11/2/12 2:56 PM
Kirik
1938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
GMan99 - I have a great deal of respect for Frank on this.

One of the most moving things I have ever seen on TV was when Leveranues Coles talking about being secually abused by his mother's boyfriend. He said that it happened nearly every day for a period of like five years.

I guess it stopped when he became big and strong, and he repressed his pain, etc. But one day he came across the guy hanging out with a group of kids from his school. The guy had the nerve to start calling him a faygot, etc. Coles snapped and savagely beat him.

When he was arrested, the detective felt that the beating was so intense that it could not have been just from being called a name. He kept him there for hours just asking him question after question until he finally broke down and explained why. The boyfriend was arrested, tried, convicted, and received a long sentence.

He said that he then repressed it for years and years again. He said that it has affected his ability to have normal loving relationships throughout his life. Finally, when he was around 30, he said that he reached out for help and decided the only way to heal himself was to admit it. His hope was that by showing if an all American football player and NFL star could be harmed in this way and then admit, he hoped that other kids would be able to open up and also not shut themselves off from society.

Thanks for posting that.

11/2/12 3:30 PM
INDK

Frank shamrock is a legend Phone Post
11/2/12 3:53 PM
RandyDarsh
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

INDK -  Frank shamrock is a legend Phone Post

agreed. VTFU

11/2/12 4:02 PM
Fedors Jim Jams

Kirik - 
GMan99 - I have a great deal of respect for Frank on this.

Thanks for posting that.

interesting

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Secrets-Revealed

yeah its a link to oprah... so what?
11/2/12 4:57 PM
GMan99
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ I left out that I saw it on Oprah!
11/2/12 5:01 PM
ChaosOverkill
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

synergist_ -  The guy is a cunt but no one deserves this. Phone Post

harsh vibes brah

11/2/12 5:01 PM
Crooklyn
772 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

TTT for a great interview

11/3/12 2:43 PM
Fabefromfort

One of the greatest 3 of all time, if not the greatest. He would have found a way to beat Anderson Silva, in Frank's prime. He would have beaten Hendo, just about anybody in the light heavies, and would have had a major war against Bones Jones. I think he would have outwilled Bones, and taken it late in 5. The significance of Frank Shamrock cannot be overlooked in bridging the gap between the old guard, and modern MMA. At one point he was the state of the art MMA fighter. The Evolution of the modern MMA fighter shows a direct link and history that connects straight to Frank Shamrock, and the entire sport of MMA owes their very living, and should have unconditional gratitude, and respect for Frank. Frank Shamrock is MMA.
11/3/12 3:54 PM
INDK

Frank beat Henderson in a sub only match, no doubt in my mind frank would have defeated him in a fight as well. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.