UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Do you track your calories? (Macros)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/3/12 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ArtisticStrength
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So i've been reading about gaining muscle and watched tons of videos. I've came across youtube channels of bodybuilders and they all track their calories, or macros. So i read up on it and they say if you eat more calories than your body expends or uses(a surplus) your going to gain weight.

So i started using this app called my fitness pal and tracked my calories and fit my macros for about 4 months now. I was eating about 2600 calories a day with 160grams of protein a day. I went from 185 lbs to 197. I gained some fat along the way but there's no doubt i gained some muscle finally.

Do you track your calories or is it not needed? Phone Post
11/3/12 10:11 AM
spidermanik
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, I use myfitnesspal on my android phone. VERY useful.

At first I was using it to just track calories, once I was comfortable consuming enough calories I started using the graph of the macros to make adjustments to my diet (I was on slightly too much fat)

Recommend every novice should do it ESPECIALLY hard gainers Phone Post
11/3/12 11:00 AM
XmmaAddictX
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been tracking calories and macros now for just about a year. I, on the other hand, have been tracking to lose weight and decrease bodyfat percentage rather than bulk. It has been really helpful for me as it helped me drop more than 85 pounds. I use the spark people app on my android. Not only do I find the tracking helpful for calorie counting I find by planning all my meals one day in advance it really helps me to remain diciplined in sticking to my plan and prevents me from making poor food choices. Phone Post
11/3/12 1:32 PM
ArtisticStrength
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spinningfapkick - I just try and eat as much as possible (hard gainer). I'm six three and have hovered around 170 pounds since highschool. Been working out steady for about two months now and didn't really start taking eating seriously until a week or two ago. It's a huge part in gaining muscle. I've gotten a lot stronger (squat max alone has gone up about 70 pounds according to my 5/3/1 app) but hardly gained any weight. I'd say I've put on about 2-3 pounds of muscle and little to no fat. Gonna start tracking calories though. Had about 170 grams of protein today because I finally picked up a protein powder and ate my ass of. Should help. Phone Post
I've been lifting for about a year and i had big improvements in strength, but i was still very skinny and i was the same bodyweight. I've had huge gains in my squat and deadlift since i started tracking my cals Phone Post
11/3/12 1:47 PM
TzTinkle
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I just eat carb-lite and protein/fat heavy with healthy foods. That's all the majority of people need to do.
11/3/12 7:51 PM
big_slacker
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/12 7:51 PM
TzTinkle - No, I just eat carb-lite and protein/fat heavy with healthy foods. That's all the majority of people need to do.

I eat over 60% of cals from carbs and maybe 15% protein and still have low BF and perform well in sports. I think most things work as long as you're eating whole, healthy foods for the majority of your diet. After that it's about finding how you personally perform best.
11/4/12 11:24 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - 
TzTinkle - No, I just eat carb-lite and protein/fat heavy with healthy foods. That's all the majority of people need to do.

I eat over 60% of cals from carbs and maybe 15% protein and still have low BF and perform well in sports. I think most things work as long as you're eating whole, healthy foods for the majority of your diet. After that it's about finding how you personally perform best.

don't think that's the right approach for the Joe Shmoe who isn't moving around much a day. Carbs are a great source of fuel for us endurance, cardio, jits, and other active folks. For someone who is lifting heavy or doing something like weighted intervals needs to cut back on carbs...

if you wanna go by that whole carb/fat/protein type there's a cool protocol involving niacin that will take you about 10 minutes to figure out which one you are.

I personally don't do well with virtually all carbs outside of fruit, some quinoa and tubers (so no grains at all, very little rice) and I still performance O2 based stuff absolutely fine. 

Also, this whole tracking calories thing is only "healthy" long term or effective if you're all ready the proper relationship with food. If you're leaving out "room" for double chocolate fudge cake from Entemann's or something then I don't care how many abs you have :P although you will look cool I suppose.

11/6/12 8:38 PM
abick23
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tracked calories for about 2 weeks , now I know basically how many calories in each serving size of the foods I eat. It's a major pita to track Phone Post
11/7/12 7:58 AM
fuzzislipperz
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't pay as much attention to calories as I do on carbs, fats, and protein. Phone Post
11/9/12 8:50 AM
Out To Lunch
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I track my calories. When I don't track them, my weight slowly goes up. Tracking keeps me honest.
11/9/12 1:43 PM
Ring Girl
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tracking calories helps a lot if you're trying to either gain or lose and already eat a good diet (that's a BIG if for most people).

I track mine and use an app called cron-o-meter which tracks a bazillion things and lets you personalize your goals quite a bit.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.